What's new
What's new

New Machine day

Congrats!
I'm not a Haas guy,what does DS and ST stand for?

DS is Dual Spindle.

ST has evolved over the years. First it was HL (don't buy those, they're junk). Next it was SL up to about 2012ish when they came out with the ST.

So I doubt ST really stands for anything, it's just their commodity lathe.

"Commodity Lathe"

Is there some other line that I am not aware of?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

"Commodity Lathe"

Is there some other line that I am not aware of?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

"Commodity Lathe": a generic all-purpose lathe that is cheap but not exactly fantastic.

Chevy vs. Cadillac, if you will.

ETA: That's what Haas does; cost-effective machines but they don't have the guts of a Mori or Okuma.
You can mebbe buy two Haas's for the price of one Mori but it's obviously not the same machine, either.

But I thought you knew all that, Ox.....;)

Last edited:
So I doubt ST really stands for anything, it's just their commodity lathe.

You make it sound like maybe they have some other lathe line.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Both of my DS and ST are currently doing similar work to local shops with both Okuma and Mori's. Both of our Lathes make good parts, cut similar materials with similar feeds and speeds, similar tolerances (.0005) for the same amount of hours each day. Difference is my 2 cost less then their 1, and I have more options on mine. My machine payment is lower. I get the 2 machines are NOT the same level of machine, but its hard to beat the Haas on value. I do own an Okuma M560 mill so am familiar with their product. I'm fortunate enough to have a good relationship with the Haas reseller also, so that helps.

Both of my DS and ST are currently doing similar work to local shops with both Okuma and Mori's. Both of our Lathes make good parts, cut similar materials with similar feeds and speeds, similar tolerances (.0005) for the same amount of hours each day. Difference is my 2 cost less then their 1, and I have more options on mine. My machine payment is lower. I get the 2 machines are NOT the same level of machine, but its hard to beat the Haas on value. I do own an Okuma M560 mill so am familiar with their product. I'm fortunate enough to have a good relationship with the Haas reseller also, so that helps.

Is Tracy Buck your salesman from Gerotech?

He's a nice guy, that's for sure.

His family started the "Buck Chuck" company.

I was thinkin' that the "Buck" name was lost to China for several years, but it has popped up under the Hardinge umbrella a few years ago.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I was thinkin' that the "Buck" name was lost to China for several years, but it has popped up under the Hardinge umbrella a few years ago.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hardinge has it now, yes.

I don't know what happened in the period after the Buck family sold it and before Hardinge ended up with it.

"Sold" it?

I was guessin' more like "lost" it.

Like back during The Crash?

Unless maybe the original owners tried peddling Chinese chucks under their name to compete?

.. and it might date back further than 2009.
Kalamazoo has been there longer than that, so ...

???

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back