What's new
What's new

New Machine Day

Freds

Cast Iron
Over the last few years, our load of big plate work has grown quite a bit. Large aluminum (Mic-6, and the like) plates, 2.5ft x 1.5ft, with 300+ tapped holes for microscope stages, baseplates, and optical breadboards needed to be done in quantity. As the quantities ramped up it swamped our first Brother S1000's capability to keep up. So...time for more horses to pull the wagon. Brother W1000Xd2 with 28tools, 16K dual contact spindle, increased Z range, Blum TC52 probe and Blum Nano for tool setting.

Plus we added Coolant Thru Spindle, Tool washing air-assisted, cleaning gun, work lights, automatic greasing, manual pulse generator, spindle override, top cover....think that about does it. Install next week and its off to the races...

Special thanks to Martin, sale engineer and Dennis, general manager for making it all happen quickly and efficiently.

Fred

Attachments

• 20240328_074457.jpg
    20240328_074457.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • 20240328_074510.jpg
    20240328_074510.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 20240328_074528.jpg
    20240328_074528.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 20240328_074537.jpg
    20240328_074537.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 98
Over the last few years, our load of big plate work has grown quite a bit. Large aluminum (Mic-6, and the like) plates, 2.5ft x 1.5ft, with 300+ tapped holes for microscope stages, baseplates, and optical breadboards needed to be done in quantity. As the quantities ramped up it swamped our first Brother S1000's capability to keep up. So...time for more horses to pull the wagon. Brother W1000Xd2 with 28tools, 16K dual contact spindle, increased Z range, Blum TC52 probe and Blum Nano for tool setting.

Plus we added Coolant Thru Spindle, Tool washing air-assisted, cleaning gun, work lights, automatic greasing, manual pulse generator, spindle override, top cover....think that about does it. Install next week and its off to the races...

Special thanks to Martin, sale engineer and Dennis, general manager for making it all happen quickly and efficiently.

Fred
beautiful machine, care to disclose how much it set you back with those options?

So, how much daylight does this thing have under the spindle/tool?
That carousel looks awfully low.
Does that possibly move up and down at times as well? (Acroloc)

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

-------------------

I think it is just under 16". 11" of z travel.

-------------------

Ox,
Machine has 15in of travel in Z axis. Table to nose of spindle range is 5.9in - 20.9in.
Fred

beautiful machine, care to disclose how much it set you back with those options?
empower,
Given the regard we have for the Yamazen sales group that we deal with, I will respectfully decline :).
What I will say is the quote we received was VERY reasonable...no negotiations needed.
Fred

But - the carousel does move up and down for some reason?
Looking at pic4, that looks like Juan-Hung-Lo?

Does that whole schmeal move up and down to reduce Z travel if you don't need the clearance?

Or?

----------------------

Nice machine, didn't realize they had up to 28 tools now.
SND,
Reason I included that picture of the tool changer is, when I walked up to the machine and opened the doors, I was amazed by the size of the tool carousel - in particular the fact that it is only 0.1sec slower than the 20tool changers.
I think 28 tools is an option now on almost all Brother machines but the little S300. The R650xd2 has a 40tool swing arm changer.
Fred

But - the carousel does move up and down for some reason?
Looking at pic4, that looks like Juan-Hung-Lo?

Does that whole schmeal move up and down to reduce Z travel if you don't need the clearance?

Or?

----------------------

Ox,
The tool carousel doesn't move. The spindle retracts up inside the carousel to accept tools and then extends as needed. I know the perspective makes things look a little tight, particularly given the rather large size of the carousel itself.
Fred

Reactions: Ox
OK then, someone needs to top this thread in the first week of Zeptember, so that I remember to consciously look at that in Chi-Town the next week.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yesterday I made my poor salesman drive from Houston to Baton Rouge to check on a customer. We were in the car for over 9 hours for a fifteen minute meeting. I am an idiot. I did buy him a nice a Cajun lunch. Customer bought a new W1000 to go with their S1000. doing 2.2mm holes in Haynes 25. The W1000 has 1000PSI coolant through standard and the S1000 has 435PSI. Should save them at least $10k a month in drill costs and save much time in production. We had done the test in our Dallas area showroom on Tuesday.

It will be interesting to see how Fred does in cycle times between his S1000 and the W1000. There should a cycle time reduction from increased speed in the drives and higher accuracy from the much larger count on the encoders.

Not retired yet. A little bit longer.

Andy

Reactions: SND
Last we talked (Tool Show) I thought that you had one foot out the door?

See you at the show?
You'll show me the Z daylight yourself?

I'm likely not in the market for a mill, but... you never know what's comin' down the pike.
And I'm only 2.5 miles off the pike, so ...

-----------------

Last we talked (Tool Show) I thought that you had one foot out the door?

See you at the show?
You'll show me the Z daylight yourself?

I'm likely not in the market for a mill, but... you never know what's comin' down the pike.
And I'm only 2.5 miles off the pike, so ...

-----------------

I plan on being there. It will be my last one if all goes according to plan.

Reactions: Ox

Back