What's new
What's new

New machine on order.

I have 2 Genos M560V's with no macro. Haven't had an issue.
If there isn't a tool in the spindle and I need to index, I simply use the M329 command in MDI and then a tool change.

What about prestaging tools?

You ever call the same tool that is in the spindle? Like starting the program, letting the tool get to clearance plane, and hitting reset to open the door and check. Then just hitting cycle start to restart the program. If the tool in the spindle is called again the machine will alarm.

It's easy to register the macro. I haven't done it in a while and can't remember the exact steps without playing with the machine a little, otherwise I would post how to do it here.

There is no reason not to run a toolchange macro on these machines. It doesn't have to be a real complicated macro. The simple one I posted will work just fine.

You can do some cool stuff with the macro. When our apps guy wrote our macro that supports T0 he added logic to automatically call the active tool's height and diameter offsets. I don't use this version but it would be handy if you hand write programs or run in MDI.

I prestage tools all day long in my programs.
I've called up the same tool by accident in MDI mode, I just hit reset and call up the correct tool.
The way I have my post processor written, a macro isn't needed really. Sure on the odd occasion that I need to use M329 with an empty spindle, but that's like once a week on average.

I prestage tools all day long in my programs.
I've called up the same tool by accident in MDI mode, I just hit reset and call up the correct tool.
The way I have my post processor written, a macro isn't needed really. Sure on the odd occasion that I need to use M329 with an empty spindle, but that's like once a week on average.

How are you prestaging tools?

I don't understand your reluctance to use the toolchange macro. It just makes using the machine much smoother.

Got the machine in service on Saturday with a temp hook up approval from the power co.

So washing the machine down before shutting it down for the evening and of course the augers stop every time you open the doors so you know what I've been doing for the past 2 hours:angry: Could have had it done sooner if I would have check the electrical cabinet for a tripped breaker:willy_nilly:

So is there a parameter that can be changed to keep the augers running when the door is open? I promise I won"t stick my head in there while their running:D

If your talking about the screws that hold the tab that fits into the electric lock on top of the door I had thought of that but since I have employees I would rather not. If it was just me, that sucker would have been gone yesterday.

You can't pick your nose with the door open:bawling:

How are you prestaging tools?

I don't understand your reluctance to use the toolchange macro. It just makes using the machine much smoother.

I prestage tools in my post from Mastercam:
(OP1-POSTS-UP)
(FEB-09-2015)
(T1 GARR 1/2" BUL .06R D0.5000)
(T2 3/4 BULLNOSE .250 RAD D0.7500)
(T3 3/4 VARIMILL )
(T4 5/16 CARBIDE SPOTDRILL D0.3125)
(T5 13/32 GUHRING CARBIDE DRILL D0.4063)
(T6 3/8 CARBIDE DRILL GUHRING D0.3750)
(T7 90 DEG 4 FLUTE COATED CHAMFER D0.5000)
(OVERALL MAX - Z2.)
(OVERALL MIN - Z-2.47)
N100(ROUGH PEEL MILL)
(COMPENSATION TYPE - COMPUTER)
/M51
G15H1
T2
G56H1X1.1775Y-7.6624Z2.S5870M03

How does it make it smoother?
I don't need it. I've never needed a toolchange macro.

I prestage tools in my post from Mastercam:
(OP1-POSTS-UP)
(FEB-09-2015)
(T1 GARR 1/2" BUL .06R D0.5000)
(T2 3/4 BULLNOSE .250 RAD D0.7500)
(T3 3/4 VARIMILL )
(T4 5/16 CARBIDE SPOTDRILL D0.3125)
(T5 13/32 GUHRING CARBIDE DRILL D0.4063)
(T6 3/8 CARBIDE DRILL GUHRING D0.3750)
(T7 90 DEG 4 FLUTE COATED CHAMFER D0.5000)
(OVERALL MAX - Z2.)
(OVERALL MIN - Z-2.47)
N100(ROUGH PEEL MILL)
(COMPENSATION TYPE - COMPUTER)
/M51
G15H1
T2
G56H1X1.1775Y-7.6624Z2.S5870M03

How does it make it smoother?
I don't need it. I've never needed a toolchange macro.

I don't see an M6 T1 anywhere in your posted code, is it at the end of the program?

I've explained before the benefits of using a tool change macro. You probably did more work to adjust your post processor than what would have been required to install the tool change macro. You get none of the benefits when using MDI either.

Why the block skip before the TSC (/M51)? We modified our post to output an M8 for standard coolant and the M51 for TSC, in CAM the tools have the option of which coolant is used. The post also inserts a through spindle air blast and a short dwell after the M9 to turn off TSC, but it doesn't insert them after an M8.

Trust me you will like a tool change macro. :)

I don't see an M6 T1 anywhere in your posted code, is it at the end of the program?

I've explained before the benefits of using a tool change macro. You probably did more work to adjust your post processor than what would have been required to install the tool change macro. You get none of the benefits when using MDI either.

Why the block skip before the TSC (/M51)? We modified our post to output an M8 for standard coolant and the M51 for TSC, in CAM the tools have the option of which coolant is used. The post also inserts a through spindle air blast and a short dwell after the M9 to turn off TSC, but it doesn't insert them after an M8.

Trust me you will like a tool change macro. :)

The block skip on the coolant line is there because this post needs to feed older machines as well as my new Genos, mainly for when I'm single blocking/proving a program on the 1st run I can just turn off the coolant so I can scale the position to double check tool location or whatnot.

You don't see an M6 because that is just a snippet of my program beginning showing the tool staging.
Here is more of the code:

N500(CHAMFER .406 THRU)
/M08
G15H1
T5
G56H4X-2.25Y-.5Z2.S7500M03
(MAX - Z2.)
(MIN - Z-.218)
X-2.25Y-.5Z2.S7500M03
Z.1
G71Z.1
G81X-2.25Y-.5Z-.218R.1F40.M54
X-5.75Y-.5
G80M54
Z2.
N600(CHAMFER TAPPED HOLES)
X-.85
Z.1
G71Z.1
G81X-.85Y-.5Z-.2075R.1F40.M54
X-4.Y-.5
G80M54
Z2.M09
M05
G30P1
M01
M06
N700(3/8-16 TAP)

and my end of program code:

N700(3/8-16 TAP)
/M08
G15H1
T1
G56H5X-.85Y-.5Z2.S608M03
(MAX - Z2.)
(MIN - Z-1.1)
X-.85Y-.5Z2.
Z.3
G71Z.3
M29S608
G284X-.85Y-.5Z-1.1R.3F38.M54
X-4.Y-.5
G80M54
Z2.M09
G30P1
M01
M06
X-20.Y20.
S50
G90
M30
%

The S50 at the end is out of habit, and more of a preventative measure because an 90's Okuma I was running back in the day had a spindle clamp issue where if you left it clamped for long periods of time it would get HOT! So the S50 releases the clamp.

It's made in Japan.

I was under the impression the Genos isn't being made in Japan but uses the same components. The salesman told me the only real difference is its an aged casting being used in the Japanese made machines. I'm sure there are other differences but the gist was they are not actually made in Japan.

Hey Captdave, any update on how you're liking the machine?

They're made in Japan, both of mine say so and the dealer has confirmed. The lathes are made in Taiwan supposedly.

The nicest thing I've found with using the tool change macro is that it opens the door and shuts down the spindle on its way to the tool change position. This saves a tremendous amount of time off of the tool changes.

And don't get me started on Doosan salesman. I went to look at them before year end and brought a 1.5" ripper mill that I do a lot of my roughing with to take a test cut. Well, I own a second Genos, so you can fill in the blanks as to how that went.

And don't get me started on Doosan salesman. I went to look at them before year end and brought a 1.5" ripper mill that I do a lot of my roughing with to take a test cut. Well, I own a second Genos, so you can fill in the blanks as to how that went.

You have the M560 and M460 correct? How does the 460 perform compaired to the 560?

Were you looking at a DNM 500?

HI guys,

We just purchased a new Okuma Genos M560 that will be delivered hopefully by the end of next week if all goes well.

I'm sure I'll be picking your brains as we get this new machine up and running but just a few basic questions for now.

Okuma send a list of all the fluids that will need to have on hand before the tech starts the install and a few of them I'm not familiar with or where is the best place to purchase.

Exxon Mobil DTE Oil Light looks like available most places in 5 Gal pails.

Where do you buy the following?

FC2 (Exxon Mobil Velocite Oil No.3, for example) needs 5 Gal.

THK AFJ GREASE Looks like it needs to be in 400 cc tubes.

CKC150 for the ATC cam box, 2.1 Gal.

HM32 380 CC for the tool unclamp package

Additionally, I'll need to be working on a post processor so if anyone can provide a G and M code list for a P300 control that would be awesome, Google just isn't showing any decent results.

Thanks, Dave
What did you end up using for the HM32 380 cc for the tool unclamp package?

What did you end up using for the HM32 380 cc for the tool unclamp package?
My dude, this thread is 8 years old, and Captdave hasn't been seen here since 2019. I have a feeling you wont get an answer from him...

Though I have been wondering about him.
Does anyone know what happened to Dave?

Back