What's new
What's new

New machines

T Alex

Plastic
I just bought a mill (Beaver MK-2) and a lathe (Clausing 4918, 14" x 48"). I need to buy some carbide tooling but don't want to spend too much, any suggestions? The Clausing came with a quick change holder but only 1 cutter holder with a boring bar (no extra inserts) I'll need a turning, a facing and a threading cutter(s), I'll have to try and match that or am I better just getting a new set? For the mill, I probably only need a carbide shell for surface finishing. I will also need a boring bar (adjustable) for the mill. I have lots of HSS end mills. I also still have the flycutter I made 40 years ago as an apprentice, so maybe just a 3" or smaller shell mill (carbide)? Thanks.

Probably depends a bit on where your located and what's brands have a good sales rep in your area.

I bought Sumitomo Turing tools and inserts. Rep was doing deals of buy 2 packs of inserts and get the tool for free. They have anti vibe boring bars and nice insert retailers on the general Turing tools.

Went with iscar insert style parting blade. Heard a lot of horror stories of people having issues with insert style parting blades but the iscar has been really good for me on everything from aluminium, 316 to 4140 no issues. I just run minimum of .01mm/rev, select a reasonable RPM and engage power feed. Nice consistent cuts. HSS might be good if you are doing a lot of aluminium or brass or you want to grind the tip to prevent a nib but a clausing of that size should be rigid enough to run carbide no worries.

I just bought a mill (Beaver MK-2) and a lathe (Clausing 4918, 14" x 48"). I need to buy some carbide tooling but don't want to spend too much, any suggestions? The Clausing came with a quick change holder but only 1 cutter holder with a boring bar (no extra inserts) I'll need a turning, a facing and a threading cutter(s), I'll have to try and match that or am I better just getting a new set? For the mill, I probably only need a carbide shell for surface finishing. I will also need a boring bar (adjustable) for the mill. I have lots of HSS end mills. I also still have the flycutter I made 40 years ago as an apprentice, so maybe just a 3" or smaller shell mill (carbide)? Thanks.

Sounds like OP is new? If so, I would stick to HS until you figure out some basic cuts and stuff... if you are not ignore <that...

But the first response about Sumitomo- great cutters, inserrts, tooling in general, but does not qualify as "not too much" in price.

Search Amazon or ebay and you can find some "starter" carbide tooling and give that a go for now.

I don't personally care for these inserts, but what is nice you get different holders all using the same one.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
First time I have seen someone speak of a Beaver Mill. I have a 56" bead, 6" riser, MT40, and little used mill.

First time I have heard Beaver Mill in a forum for a long time. I have a lightly used 56" bed, 6" riser block, with mt40 mill.

Back