What's new
What's new

New machinist looking for knowledgeable advice "index 55"

billybme

Plastic
I haven't done any machining but am looking to make a purchase and was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction for my first purchase.

Machine in question is a wells index model 55. The machine looks good in pictures and the ways seem to be pretty easily identifiable so it appears to have relatively little wear for a machine from the 50's.

The price being asked for it is $4000 and I'll post the details about it below. I'm not sure if runout is acceptable or if the features would warrant the price so please feel free to give me your opinions.

1. Total strip and paint.
2. Table surface reground flat and straight. 3. Spindle taper ground for R8.
4. New bearings in all the movements X Y & Z.
5. New custom felt way wiper.
6. New hand pump way oil supply directly to each movement ways and lead screw nuts.
7. New high precision ABEC7 Matched set of angular contact spindle bearings.
8. New bearings for the spindle motor & pully bearings.
9. All new belts.
10. New bearings in the quill power down feed.
11. New bearings in the quill manual down feed.
12. New bearings in the table power feed gear box & engagement.
13. New 3 phase 3/4hp motor for the table power feed upgrade from original 1/4hp motor.
14. 2ea new 3 phase VFD for variable speed power to the spindle motor and the power feed motor.
15. 2ea new VFD remote manual push button control panel, for motor start/stop, direction & speed.
16. Power on switch and control, switch for the two-speed spindle motor, high & low.
17. New VFD c/b panel and power contactor. 12’ 12-gauge 220v power cable with plug.

Measurements
1. Movement travel; X= 20-3/4” Y=8-1/2” Z= 16” Quill= 5-1/2”.
2. Backlash lead screw & nuts X= .012” Y= .005 .
3. Spindle runout at R8 taper= .0002.
4. Table length= 40”. Table Straightness; X- from Rt to Lt 1st 2/3 .0005. 1/3 left trends up .0015. Y-without vice trends up about .0015, with vice on table trends up about .0005.
5. Weight about 2200-2300 pounds.

Last edited:
Is that stuff that has recently been done to it? Or stuff that you are planning on doing to it? Also where are you located, prices vary tremendously based on location.

Looking over the data, this machine is in pretty good shape, at a middle of the road to slightly high price for the Northeast. No idea where in the country you are, but if you live in a tool desert, it may be a deal.

If you trust the seller, buy it, get it home, get it set up and running. Use it for a while, then you'll get familiar with it and find all the little things that need fixing.

If you haven't machined before, this is probably perfectly adequate the way it is. You'll have a fair amount of work in it just getting it home, positioned, levelled, tooled and running. Then there's the machining learning curve.

The downside of taking on a rescrape/rebuild of a machine is that it may take more than you have. This happens to very experienced machinists, too. (There are a few examples on this board.) But....if you just want a project, go for it. If you want to machine things, use it for a while and then decide.

My $.02...

Totally agree with neilho,
You're a very long ways from a machine tear down and rebuild. We all here buy used machinery on a regular basis. Some of the cruddiest looking machines turn out to be fine gems; especially for someone just cutting your first teeth.
You need to learn that Machine, fire it up, get into the thick of what its capable of doing and THEN tackle any concerns that show up that really need attention. You really could cause more harm at this stage of the game than otherwise. Give it a new coat of paint and get some chips flying.
Johnny

These are all upgrades that have already been done and the machine is in arizona which I seem to not have a lot of variety with. I just didn't want to buy it bring it home and then find out another machine in the exact same shape going for $1500 less.

Bridgeports in the area are going for $3500 and look like they have been stored outside all there lives. The ones in decent looking condition for $5000 and up but no photos of way condition.

lf that has been done that is great..but the travel accuracy of the long travel and the cross is equally important.
Re QT: (Table length= 40”. Table Straightness; X- from Rt to Lt 1st 2/3 .0005. 1/3 left trends up .0015. Y-without vice trends up about .0015, with vice on table trends up about .0005.... that seems pretty good.
* You should add "Index 55" to the title if you still can

I have a Index 645 mill that is basically the same mill. The 645 has a newer designed head than what's on the 55 mill. I consider mine in as good shape or better, but if I was to sell it tomorrow, I'd be lucky if I could get two grand for it. With the 3-axis digital readout and basic tooling included!

Some pictures for reference

Attachments

• 00707_esdNcX9nWpDz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00707_esdNcX9nWpDz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 00808_hrFyt199BE4z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00808_hrFyt199BE4z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 00e0e_kAgdnnq9b7yz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_kAgdnnq9b7yz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 00j0j_fBOuarDV9BPz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    00j0j_fBOuarDV9BPz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 43
  • 00R0R_d5mfxKrxxBMz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    00R0R_d5mfxKrxxBMz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 01414_2R3j70e4drUz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    01414_2R3j70e4drUz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 01414_i3RSUWEZfWiz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    01414_i3RSUWEZfWiz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 01616_lp4dSE4CIwiz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    01616_lp4dSE4CIwiz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 48
It looks like he put in some work but I'm even more undecided now especiallyif a more improved model with a dro and tooling is going for half the price of this. People i have talked to are almost always recommending a Bridgeport and say 2 to 3 grand should get me a good one but like I said they don't look like they have been taken care of.

The first mill I ever purchased was an Index 55. I paid 500 for it, and I got my money's worth out of it. When I bought a nicer mill later on, I knew what to look for. You can do better with your budget.

Thats what I was afraid of. The other options I was looking at is buying new with a g0695 or a g0678 by grizzly. I know myself and feel like I wouldn't have spent that much even with financing.

I, only in the last couple months, started looking for second hand machines and this one visually appealed to me but it was hard to find youtube reviews or much info on. E Bay this week even had one but for 2 grand and pretty much in stock form.

Neilho mentioned it was middle to slightly high priced in the northeast and I also think that he was under the assumption it needed all of that work done instead of it already being rebuilt. Does this hold true for being that high priced in the southwest?

Last edited:
I guess in that respect then it's an even better deal than originally thought. I guess it's really just up to me if it's worth what he is offering it for. I think I'll go take a look at it and decide in person

QT ( I was looking at buying new with a g0695 or a g0678 by grizzly.)
Index, BP , XlO and any industrial machine/mill will be better than a G machine, and used parts are likely easier to find.
With care learning the machine so you don't accidentally break something a good condition Industrial grade machine will last a very long time.
Likely to pay 10k for a rebuilt BP

Last edited:
If you bought that model mill, you'll wish you had a mill with the head mounted on a ram. When you get that oddball part that has to be hung off the side of the table or is too long to reach, you'll need to swing the head over to it. You'll want all the versatility that you can get. Especially if you are doing repair work.

Bill

Back