What's new
What's new

New manual lathe for all around job shop.

If you buy a good used machine you will be able to sell it for near your purchase price later. The new lathes will take a 1/3 to 1/2 price drop if you try to sell them later.

I bought a second hand rebuilt 25 x 72 Monarch a few years ago. You have to keep looking.

I have never heard of modern day Monarch selling rebuilt older machines, except for 10EEs. There is certainly no mention of it on their website. Has anyone here ever bought one, or gotten a price quote?
They have listings on The Surplus record for a few larger machines. I looked into buying one, it was reasonably priced but a long lead time.

I guess one might add Acer and Summit to now getting a long list.
Horsepower might best relate to the kind of work being done. higher production jobber work might not care, but low production might wish to save on energy costs.
Summit 16, hard ways and 3" bore
Whacheon hard ways 2 3/64 bore
Lion hard ways,2 3/32 bore.
Summit has lost their reputation in this area after shipping some machines that were complete garbage. One's apron needed some machining done and a full rebuild to make it right. The dealer provided no help.
Our local Acer dealer is not pushing that brand as they are not really suppling repair parts.

Just got a quote from Greer for a WHACHEON HL460 in the 60 inch bed and it was 48k with both work rests, and dro installed. Got the same price from a more local east coast dealer. Considering I talked to a guy on here that bought the same machine last year from greer, for he says was more than 30k, I think that significantly gone up. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I have had a new Victor 2060S at work for about a year. It has a 3-1/8" bore and a taper attachment, and came with a steady, follow, and center. It is smooth, not noisy, and well built. My only beefs with it are no clutch, and the start/stop lever is on the right side of the carriage, which isn't handy for small work. Maybe I missed something on the order form...

My ACRA 17x40 was half that money and is by no means a toy. 4500lbs, will easily roll a .375 cut in aluminum bar. (bring body armor). Ways are hardened and ground, etc. I made a whole thread about the machine when I bought it.

Back