What's new
What's new

New No.2 Cincinnati mill.

I did two of these tapers to NMTB 50 - one an early horizontal #4 that came with B&S 12 and the other a 1919 #4 High Power vertical that came with B&S 14.

The quick way for hurdling the taper issue is do the same to your spindle - either NMTB 40 or NMTB 50 - depending how much "meat" Cinc provided on the B&S 11 spindle nose circa 1913

The interesting thing is that Kearney and Trecker had the patents on the flanged and face keyed spindle - and to come anywhere near to that feature, Cinc had to cough up royalties payments to K&T

KT Patent Spindle Nose.jpg

As far as machining these very old spindles - TOUGH, but not "hard"

Your vertical is about the easiest to get the spindle out of - you take off the sliding vertical head and get the spindle out (though the illustration suggests that spindle has to come out to get head off)

HP 1913_18.jpg

Awesome! I was curious how to get the head/quill off/apart. I want to do a little refreshing to the mill. The quill moves good; as do most of the operational surfaces on the machine.
I will keep my eyes open for B&S tooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good plan if B&S 11 tool holders turn out to be unobtanium.....

Have spindle out and have one of these machinist chaps modify the B&S 11 end to maybe NMTB 40

So an update to this post.
I have the mill running. I have found some B&S 11 tooling (end mill and face mill) and have turned a few chips. All I have are 3/4 by 3/4 end mills. The downside is that I cannot find any collet holders. If I want to use other end mill sizes, I would need a new arbor/sleeve for each. That's expensive! I understand the taper and drawbar process but what are the other mounts for on the spindle of the head? There is a large keyway and four threaded bolt holes for some sort of attachment. I will try to post photos later.

B&S 11. I also received a B&S 12 or larger face mill holder, if anyone is in need. I can't use it.

Attachments

• 20220912_121213.jpg
    20220912_121213.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1
Also, I am missing the precision wheel and one of the gears for the table lead screw.

Attachments

• 20220912_121649.jpg
    20220912_121649.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 9
So an update to this post.
I have the mill running. I have found some B&S 11 tooling (end mill and face mill) and have turned a few chips. All I have are 3/4 by 3/4 end mills. The downside is that I cannot find any collet holders. If I want to use other end mill sizes, I would need a new arbor/sleeve for each. That's expensive! I understand the taper and drawbar process but what are the other mounts for on the spindle of the head? There is a large keyway and four threaded bolt holes for some sort of attachment. I will try to post photos later.
Forerunner of the NMTB spindle noses. In other words your big spindle nose with the face key and 5.062 OD in later years would be included in the NMTB (standardized) spindle noses. This spindle nose originated with the 1913 patent over at Kearney Trecker. This means for Cinc to use it on your mill required them to pay K&T roaylties

The nice practical thing for owners like you is to have the spindle out and modified to whatever NMTB size (like NMTB #40) is right considering your existing B&S #11. (The 5.062 spindle OD is for NMTB 50) I did two of these but that was long ago.

Get yourself a copy of Machinery's Handbook - it will tell you everything about NMTB spindle noses

Here is a scan showing the spindle in its sliding housing. Looks like a fairly easy take apart

Attachments

• HP 1913_18.jpg
    HP 1913_18.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back