What's new
What's new

new plate, went all in on cheap plywood cover

metalmagpie

Titanium
I am no carpenter. I hate buying wood. I recently bought a super clean Precision Granite 24x36x4" surface plate on factory stand. It is in excellent condition, better than any other surface plate I've owned. Anyway, my shop is multipurpose enough so that the dust can be somewhat abrasive. I plan to move my surface plate to another room but this is going to be a project of some substance so for now I made a plate cover from 100% scrounged materials. The 1x2" outer frame sticks were all collected from illegal signs posted in our neighborhood, and the 38x26" piece of plywood I scrounged from a buddy. I've built plywood covers before but this time I decided to really do it up and line it with an old smurf blue baby blanket. I glued it in with 3M art spray adhesive, seemed to work well.

The cover now is slightly tight going on and doesn't wiggle around. I don't think any dust is going to find its way up under there.

metalmagpie

smurfBlue.jpg

Nice. On my radar to do the same excepting there are no illegal signs available. Like the blanket liner. I did the same for my small steel plate except I soaked it in oil to stop rust.

Nice. On my radar to do the same excepting there are no illegal signs available. Like the blanket liner. I did the same for my small steel plate except I soaked it in oil to stop rust.

I like the idea of an oil-impregnated liner covering a steel plate! I have a 12x18" lapping plate that I had Blanchard ground, maybe I'll do the same for that plate.

metalmagpie

Looks good- way better than mine- it certainly doesn't keep dust out. It only has to keep objects off the plate. I put down three little plastic disks before placing it on the plate. I had some plexiglass and glued that to the inside of the cover. I suppose that's worth something towards reducing dust from the wood it's self. None of the wood is sealed by the way.

Attachments

• 20231207_181505.jpg
    20231207_181505.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231207_181407.jpg
    20231207_181407.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Looks good- way better than mine- it certainly doesn't keep dust out. It only has to keep objects off the plate. I put down three little plastic disks before placing it on the plate. I had some plexiglass and glued that to the inside of the cover. I suppose that's worth something towards reducing dust from the wood it's self. None of the wood is sealed by the way.
I read somewhere that a plywood cover should have 2 coats of varnish. Well, I don't have any varnish and for sure didn't want to buy any. I used a spray urethane 2 coats on the bottom and let them dry before gluing in the fabric. I just wiped the tail end of an old can of tung oil onto the top surface. I believe dust comes out of the wood itself, having seen that on a prior plywood cover. The plexiglass mirror effect in your shop is pretty cool.

metalmagpie

Back