What's new
What's new

New Renishaw Probe Repeatability Issues

Micmac1

Cast Iron
We have a brand new machine, with a fanuc Oi-MF plus control. We have had some issues with the canned probing cycles, first we have broke 2 tips measuring z, different days at random using canned cycle, almost like probe does not rigister the surface on first touch, but this has only happened 2x out of hundreds we used it. Next is when calibrating probe on a ring, if i run the calibration cycle 5 times in a row, it will give me 5 different zeros, off by anywhere from .0004-.002 in either x or y, but it measures the ring accurately within .0001 every time. Finally, when probing a web on Y axis, we have found the probe center off by as much as .030 when it "finds" y center, but then recalibration shows it being off by much, much less. Any thoughts? we replaced batteries multiple times, checked and we are using correct brands and amp batteries called for in the manual.

Well..
The stylus is drifted to center with little bitty set screws. This needs some care, and figuring out the torque to them took a while to keep the stylus in dead center. So keep your torques under 100 foot pounds or so...
Also, suspect is your backlash settings on the machine. They have to be just right for optimum repeatability and precise machine operations.
Along with that, your servo parity must be tuned so all motors are working in concert.
Probing speed too could be a factor... but generally not.
Just my casual thoughts...
Mark

Mark I'm assuming you meant 100 in-lbs?

Micmac, what happens if you probe the same surface in Z several times and record the deviation? You mention doing this test in X and Y.

Other than probe tip breaking a few times in the canned z cycle, it repeats when set

Mark I'm assuming you meant 100 in-lbs?

Micmac, what happens if you probe the same surface in Z several times and record the deviation? You mention doing this test in X and Y.
That would be far too much as well, but still, that is somewhere's under 100 Foot Pounds.
Just do that for kicks.

Which probe are you using? What macros are you using?

I've got lots of experience with the older (mp10 era) probes, and also using legacy mode on a couple omp400's. Are the newer ones optical? Is there good line of sight between the probe and the eye? I wondered if the newest ones are radio rather than IR or similar light based thing.

I've had ceramic stylii shatter when probing in Z before. The things can fatigue I guess? But that doesn't sound like your problem.

What is your machine make and model?

Was an optimization routine run?

Is the probe wired into the skip signal or the high speed skip signal? At least, on older controls (16i for example) there were both regular and high speed. And I wonder if your skip isn't fast enough. Or if your feedrates and retract amounts aren't optimized.

Are you using single touch, or does it touch twice?

Sorry, lots of questions, but I doubt I'll be able to solve it. But if you answer these questions maybe someone who knows a lot more would be able to help.

Back