What's new
What's new

New shop considering NX Cam.

I understand Solid Edge CAM is a stand alone version of NX CAM. What would be lacking in a seat of SE CAM that you would get in basic NX CAM? My latest release of SE came with the CAM, but I haven't installed it yet to have a look. It could be less expensive to buy, the maintenance certainly seems to be less.

I haven't considered SolidEdge CAM.
It is worth researching on my part.
Thanks for the alternative option. I'll look into it.

CAMWorks - Pricing Does Include SolidWorks
- 3 Axis Milling Professional - $12,070 - Plus $3850 Annual
Milling Professional does include Turning and Mill Turn Modules as well.

SolidCAM - Pricing does not include SolidWorks
- 3 Axis Milling Standard - $5995 - Plus $900 but with Loyalty $855, following year $810 and the year after and forward $765
- 3 Axis Milling Pro - $14,995 - Plus $2250 but with Loyalty it would be $2137, following year $2025 and the year after that and going forward $1912

NX
- NX CAM-Only 3 Axis Milling [NX12480] – Price: $15,804.00 (3 Year Subscription)
- NX Turning Add-on [NX30408] – Price: $6,336.00 (3 Year Subscription)

Mastercam
- Mill - $6300.00 – plus $945.00 for software maintenance.
- Mill 3D - $13,125.00 – plus $1968.75 for software maintenance.

Marvel, is the NX 3 year subscription 15804/3 or 15804*3?
$15,804 / 3 so $5,268 a year, but 3 years is required.

I received this quote about a year ago, and from my understanding NX doesn't have a 4th axis add on, the add on is full 5th at that point.

NX CAM-Only 3 Axis Milling [NX12480] – Price: $15,804.00 (3 Year Subscription)
Description:
The CAM-only 3 Axis Milling provides all the basics needed for a 3 Axis Milling seat in the NX CAM environment:
- Translators for IGES, STEP, Parasolid, etc.
- Toolpath replay and material verification
- Generic motion control
- Holemaking and probing cycle support
- Tool path editor
- Shop Documentation
- Work Instruction Authoring
- Post processing
- Interactive Post Configurator
- 2.5 Axis roughing, profiling and face milling
- 3 Axis surface finishing
- NURBS machining
NX Turning Add-on [NX30408] – Price: $6,336.00 (3 Year Subscription)
Description:
Complete turning functionality for single channel programming, including roughing and finishing operations for facing, turning, and boring:
- Turning
- Generic motion
- On-machine probing cycles

I haven't considered SolidEdge CAM.
It is worth researching on my part.
Thanks for the alternative option. I'll look into it.
As of earlier this year a perpetual seat for the solid edge SE430 package (seat of solid edge foundation CAD + 3 axis cam pro) was $16,350 + $3,272 maintenance.

1701225634622.png

The subscription version (with a 30% discount they were running at the time) was $4260/yr

Also, to throw an interesting other option in here since people have been mentioning solidcam. They now offer solidcam for solid edge (full solidcam, not the weird imachining only plugin they do (did?) for NX)

Reactions: Mud
As of earlier this year a perpetual seat for the solid edge SE430 package (seat of solid edge foundation CAD + 3 axis cam pro) was $16,350 + $3,272 maintenance.

View attachment 417899

The subscription version (with a 30% discount they were running at the time) was $4260/yr

Also, to throw an interesting other option in here since people have been mentioning solidcam. They now offer solidcam for solid edge (full solidcam, not the weird imachining only plugin they do (did?) for NX)
CAMWorks has offered a CAM option for SolidEdge for many years now. Don’t know much about it.

$15,804 / 3 so $5,268 a year, but 3 years is required.

I received this quote about a year ago, and from my understanding NX doesn't have a 4th axis add on, the add on is full 5th at that point.

The 3 Axis seat is really 3+2.

The 5 axis add-on is only simultaneous 5 axis tool paths.

There is a Rotary Milling package that does simultaneous 4 axis motion tool paths though, which is intriguing, but somewhat specialized.

Hello All,

I have tried to do my due diligence and have scoured all threads containing NX Cam.

We are starting a new shop. One machine. Okuma Multus mill turn, dual spindle, sub-turret (probably with live tooling)
Have current product line from customer well suited to that machine. Parts are oil and gas components (relatively simple)

My native softwares are Solidworks and SolidCAM.

General goals:
- totally optimize starting product line to run lights out.
- branch into aerospace ( we have connection with a company) and obtain 5x Mill.
- AS9100 certification for new connections to aerospace/defense companies

General found NX consensus:
- powerful, top of class, amazing CAD, expensive, customizable, strong templates, big learning curve.
- main worry --- moving towards (?) or is now subscription based. Prices i have seen are very high if that is yearly cost.

Questions remaining from forum search:

1. Has anyone switched from SolidCAM to NX CAM and have any regrets about that choice?

2. Is it true that i-Machining can be purchased as a module and used within NX CAM, and if so, is NX adaptive milling strong enough to not need that additional purchase?

3. Is NX post processor open sourced enough to create user defined procedures and be referenced from main post? (SolidCAM is 100% open)

4. Assuming complicated aero and defense parts, does NX meet or exceed your expectations of value?

5. Have you found an exclusivity to owning NX CAM? As in, is your shop afforded opportunities to work with certain companies as opposed to a shop that uses SolidCAM/MC/Fusion, etc...

6. A reseller I spoke with said they may even be able to place me into contact with companies who are searching for shops using NX. Selling point or does this have known merit?

7. what in the world does "VAR" stand for? Verified application reseller?? I just could not find that answer.

Probably no one person can answer all the questions.
But if you do have info and could shed light on any of the questions, it would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks All.
Just don't!
I'd look at OpenMind's Hypermill product. It seems to be the market leader, in 5 axis at least here in the UK.
After a 15 year experience with Solidworks, I decided to "invest" in NX.
After 3 years experience with Siemens NX in EU and UK, I couldn't recommend it to any very small to small business.
Licensing is a complete pain in the ass if you don't have an IT department. The VAR's (value added resellers) support leaves much to be desired.....
I'm being deliberately kind here.... Like WTF am I paying you c^%#s for?
The product might be great but it's let down massively by their sales and support model.
When I was at EMO, Hannover a couple of months ago I quizzed a Hypermill salesman at their booth specifically about their sales and support model.
They don't have VARs and everything is in house. I received indicative pricing and it was MUCH less scary than quotes I've had for NX.
The last straw with my NX VAR was a conversation I had with them about optimizing my license of CAD/CAM going forward.
I was quoted £30k per annum. The modules as any NX knowledgable person will tell you are ENDLESS and frustrating.....
When I explained that in my current circumstance that price was impossible, within a minute, the price had magically halved to £15k per annum.
Nope, that's not happening either at the moment and the fact you had that discretion and were willing for me to waste £15k per year is offensive.
I'm now transitioning to Onshape after hours while still using Solidworks (I stopped paying support in 2021).
When it comes time for me to invest in the next CAM it will likely be Hypermill unless Onshape pulls a rabbit out of the hat. I know they're working on it.
Good luck with whatever you go with.
I'd just suggest when talking to sales asking what specific functionality DOESN'T it come with.
It's easy to assume that capabilities in NX packages are included but you will be surprised.
Best, RB.

Just don't!
I'd look at OpenMind's Hypermill product. It seems to be the market leader, in 5 axis at least here in the UK.
After 3 years experience with Siemens NX in EU and UK, I couldn't recommend it to any very small to small business.
Licensing is a complete pain in the ass if you don't have an IT department. The VAR's (value added resellers) support leaves much to be desired.....
The product might be great but it's let down massively by their sales and support model.
When I was at EMO, Hannover a couple of months ago I quizzed a Hypermill salesman at their booth specifically about their sales and support model.
They don't have VARs and everything is in house. I received indicative pricing and it was MUCH less scary than quotes I've had for NX.
The last straw with my NX VAR was a conversation I had with them about optimizing my license of CAD/CAM going forward.
I was quoted £30k per annum. The modules as any NX knowledgable person will tell you are ENDLESS and frustrating.....
When I explained that in my current circumstance that price was impossible, within a minute, the price had magically halved to £15k per annum.
Nope, that's not happening either at the moment and the fact you had that discretion and were willing for me to waste £15k per year is offensive.
I'm now transitioning to Onshape after hours while still using Solidworks (I stopped paying support in 2021).
When it comes time for me to invest in the next CAM it will likely be Hypermill unless Onshape pulls a rabbit out of the hat. I know they're working on it.
I'd just suggest when talking to sales asking what specific functionality DOESN'T it come with.
It's easy to assume that capabilities in NX packages are included but you will be surprised.
Best, RB.
sounds like you had an awful experience with a bad VAR, and i'm sorry to hear that. however that doesnt mean nobody should look at NX, what it should mean is that any potential customer should do thorough research about the VAR they intend to deal with as that definitely can make or break the experience.

i've used hypermill for 2 years, and getting close to 2 years with NX now as well, i would NEVER touch hypermill again now that i've used NX.

Just don't!
Best, RB.
Words of wisdom. I appreciate the break down.
Hypermill is definitely top notch as well.

The VAR I am in touch with has pleasantly surprised me with his expertise and willingness to help. Got lucky in that sense.

I will definitely take your wisdom into consideration. Thank you.

The 3 Axis seat is really 3+2.
Correct, pre position 4/5th movements

The 5 axis add-on is only simultaneous 5 axis tool paths.
The 5 axis add on is 4/5 axis full simultaneous. So if you have a Vertical Mill with a rotary mounted and want full 4th Simultaneous you would need the full 5th Axis Package with NX.

There is a Rotary Milling package that does simultaneous 4 axis motion tool paths though, which is intriguing, but somewhat specialized.
Rotary Milling is "limited simultaneous", it stays on centerline. But will rotate A and move in the X simultaneously, but Y stays at Y0.

This was the response I received when I asked about 4 axis simultaneous movements with the above NX quote

Part of the 5 axis. I might have read your initial email incorrectly as I thought you only needed 4/5 positioning.

If you need 4 or 5 axis simultaneous I can provide the price on the 5 axis CAM.

Words of wisdom. I appreciate the break down.
Hypermill is definitely top notch as well.

The VAR I am in touch with has pleasantly surprised me with his expertise and willingness to help. Got lucky in that sense.

I will definitely take your wisdom into consideration. Thank you.
which VAR are you talking to?
i've been working with design fusion and they've been absolutely top notch so far.

sounds like you had an awful experience with a bad VAR, and i'm sorry to hear that. however that doesnt mean nobody should look at NX, what it should mean is that any potential customer should do thorough research about the VAR they intend to deal with as that definitely can make or break the experience.

i've used hypermill for 2 years, and getting close to 2 years with NX now as well, i would NEVER touch hypermill again now that i've used NX.
Ah that's interesting Empower.
May I ask who your VAR is? As I mentioned in the post, I think NX is a good product but just a very frustrating sales and support model here. NX comes out of Texas or is it Florida? I wish they had a direct sales model.
I haven't used Hypermill. What did you find you didn't like? Feel free to rant.
Buna

Ah that's interesting Empower.
May I ask who your VAR is? As I mentioned in the post, I think NX is a good product but just a very frustrating sales and support model here. NX comes out of Texas or is it Florida? I wish they had a direct sales model.
I haven't used Hypermill. What did you find you didn't like? Feel free to rant.
Buna
our VAR is saratech, and they're ok, but for CAM stuff, posts etc - we use design fusion, and they are fantastic.

biggest thing i didnt like about hypermill is the awful archaic CAD. drawing or modifying geometry is extremely primitive, same as mastercam. if you're used to that way of manipulating geometry and sketches - you'll be fine with it. its quite powerful in the actual CAM aspect, and much better than mastercam. but NX blows both of them out of the water IMO.

on a side note: i'm taking vacation for all of december, and since i'm the only one that knows how to program and run our 2 5 axis machines - i trained one of the engineers on NX and in 2 days he wrote a pretty decent 5 axis program. he does have previous NX experience, but only with CAD side. as well as previous CAM experience with fusion. so i think getting someone up to speed with NX cam shouldnt be too difficult if they're 'street smart' and are willing to learn.

WOW these prices seem quite a bit higher than GibbsCAM
I think I am only in $12k and that's with 3 axis, advanced(pro) 3 axis and 5 axis module.
Interesting!

Back