What's new
What's new

New to forum in search of knowledge on old equipment

Motorhead99999

Plastic
Hi my names kyle. Iv been a long time lurker and have gathered lots of information from this site over the years. I currently build pole barns but would like to start my own small machine shop/ fabricating on the side.I have allot of welding cutting and some machining equipment that have fit my needs for many years but I recently acquired some machines that I have questions about.

One is a leblond 18” lathe. Where the serial number is on my other leblond this one just says lot 67 no10. I’m assuming is very old but would like to know what year it is. I think it was originally belt driven but now has a electric motor on it and what appears to be some kind of 1930,s three speed car tranny

I also aquired a no2 Cincinnati horizontal and vertical milling machine. I think also known as a combination milling machine. I cannot find a serial number on that. They are currently covered on my trailer but will be in the shop in a couple days and will post some pics.

Last edited:
Earlier Cinc have it stamped below the horizontal spindle assuming its a horizontal mill.

Later Cinc mills (like 1939) have serial tag on a side of the machine - like the scan

Attachments

• 00505_bZSsT6Pcykd_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00505_bZSsT6Pcykd_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 7
Earlier Cinc have it stamped below the horizontal spindle assuming its a horizontal mill.

Later Cinc mills (like 1939) have serial tag on a side of the machine - like the scan
I have this picture which is the Only stamping or id I have found so far. It has both vertical and horizontal capabilities. I’m excited to know what year these machines are but I have them covered with rubber roofing that’s a pita to get back on the machine if I uncover it.

The Forum has a file size limit you can post. You have to reduce the size of the jpg file before you can upload. The easiest way I do this is download the picture file to my PC from my phone, but I reduce the file size to 30% when it downloads. Then from my PC I upload it here and post. If you're trying to upload from your phone, you will have to shrink the jpg file down on your phone or take the pictures as a much lower resolution then upload. Yeah, it's a big pita. Also, in the antique section, there are directions on uploading pictures, too. Ken

The Forum has a file size limit you can post. You have to reduce the size of the jpg file before you can upload. The easiest way I do this is download the picture file to my PC from my phone, but I reduce the file size to 30% when it downloads. Then from my PC I upload it here and post. If you're trying to upload from your phone, you will have to shrink the jpg file down on your phone or take the pictures as a much lower resolution then upload. Yeah, it's a big pita. Also, in the antique section, there are directions on uploading pictures, too. Ken
Awesome. Thanks

Its a very old Cinc hor. (since it has the single round overarm) about 1913 with the vertical stuff shop built

Note patent dates on door - "newest one" is 1900!

Here is what Cinc mills looked like in 1903

Attachments

• For Roger P.jpg
    For Roger P.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I never would have guessed the vertical part was made or the machine that old . The horizontal motor is gone which isn’t a big deal for me as I don’t see myself using the horizontal a whole lot.
Hi many hp would run the horizontal shaft originally or was it flat belt driven? It has a double 1/2” pulley on it as of now.

Luckily all the tooling came with the machines so I don’t have to hunt down any of that stuff.
Maybe I’ll run a Jack shaft through the garage off my old glistner hit and miss and do everything old school lol.

I never would have guessed the vertical part was made or the machine that old . The horizontal motor is gone which isn’t a big deal for me as I don’t see myself using the horizontal a whole lot.
Hi many hp would run the horizontal shaft originally or was it flat belt driven? It has a double 1/2” pulley on it as of now.

Luckily all the tooling came with the machines so I don’t have to hunt down any of that stuff.
Maybe I’ll run a Jack shaft through the garage off my old glistner hit and miss and do everything old school lol.
See post 9 photo/scan - shows the usual flat belt cone pulley. See also this scan from 1897. Cinc commenced building milling machines in 1884

Attachments

• 1897 Cinc Scan 01.jpg
    1897 Cinc Scan 01.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I kind of figured it was flat belt originally. This one has been retrofitted to electric. I think the vertical attachment has a 2hp motor on it. I could see where there was a motor mounted on the left side for the horizontal but it’s gone.
Thanks for all the help

Back