What's new
What's new

New to Fusion 360, Anyone want to walk me through an easy one?

S.toolroomguy81

Plastic
Short version - self educated guy, welding background, CWI, I run a tool cage in a fab shop. I make long term, high volume fixturing for the company's product. I design the fixtures in Onshape, then I do all the fabrication, welding and manual machine work. I also program the robotic welders, and the CNC autoform, so I'm familiar with the programming thought process.

The next step for me is to get into the CNC G-code side. We have 2 mills at work, a Haas VF11 and a VF-4-SS. This isn't a company sponsored thing, this is just me working on professional development. I took the CAMINSTRUCTOR course last year, but I'll never get them to pay the cost of Mastercam, which is overkilll for what we need anyway, just 3 axis milling. F360 seems more appropriate for our basic stuff, we're not splitting microns, it's wide tolerance work. Just as a starter project, I have this fixture that has been programmed already by the FOG's using long hand conversational programming at the machine. 6 parts on position A (left side) then flipped for 6 more on postion B for the 2nd op. Here's the rub - I know the guys have programmed this part so that each part, in each position has it's own offset. I attempted to do this in Fusion, but it didn't like that - G54 through G59 max. I have read this is a restriction based on Fanuc controls? I wish I knew what that meant lol I'm just getting started. I can design the models, sketch things for tracing tool paths, and pattern things, but with these Miteebite Uniforce clamps, some are hard stopped from the back and some from the front. I thought it was a simple fixture when I designed it, turns out it's a little more challenging to program. How would YOU progam this? It's just a series of 1.125 x 1.125 CR 1018 bars with 7/16-14 holes drilled and tapped. We rarely have to do external profiling, it's always parts that are rough cut with some other process, with some semi-precision features on the internal faces.

Thanks for any help!!

Further info - I have the assembly in Onshape with all the fasteners and clamps, but prepping for F360 I boolean'd the fixture into a single body and put stock models through the parts.

Attachments

• 360 SETUP.png
    360 SETUP.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
I attempted to do this in Fusion, but it didn't like that - G54 through G59 max. I have read this is a restriction based on Fanuc controls?
You can do extended offsets. Type 7 or above, should spit out a coresponding extendend offset.

If it's open fab type work I wouldn't expect you to need to dial in each spot, not that it's wrong, just unnessesary.

Man, I took an entire MONTH off to attempt to transition to Fusion 360...
From Bobcad V32
I watched all the videos' worked at it really hard.
At the end of a month, I said:
Screw it. I gotta' make payroll.
It was early on for 360.
Problem was every video I watched was in a different version.
They kept moving the gas pedal, the brakes and the clutch in every different one.
Shit, I couldn't tell down from up.
I hear it has flattened out.
Let me know if they have fired the dang I.T. department and have arrived at a useable program.
I won't take their word.
Mark

Let me know if they have fired the dang I.T. department and have arrived at a useable program.
I won't take their word.
Mark
I have no problems with F360 for the ~$500/yr it costs for a 3 axis mill.

I was brand new to CAD/CAM, so it helps that I don't have emotional baggage leftover from other programs.
The post for my Okuma worked right out of the box, but got some tweaks from the apps engineer to make it more user friendly.

Further info - I have the assembly in Onshape with all the fasteners and clamps, but prepping for F360 I boolean'd the fixture into a single body and put stock models through the parts.
The easy way is to get the extended work offsets to work.
The F360 forums are pretty helpful, and you should be able to use more than 5 offsets.

If your fixture uses nice numbers for the hard stops, you can set the WCS up in a single spot, then model all the parts in a grid and treat it as a single setup.
CRS should be consistent enough that it doesn't matter if the "datum" for each part ends up on the uniforce side or solid side, and this way you don't have 12 different WCS on font/back surfaces
If its a repeat job, it would be the fastest way by far to setup in the future.

Pierson Work holding has lots of good videos on designing fixturing.

What specific questions do you have? It sounds like based on your experience you understand the workflow of CAD->CAM->posting g code? Do you understand what G54-G59 do? If not I'm sure you can search for a better explanation than I can give and ask follow up questions about it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by how you would program it? Using the tools I have I'd draw the part as a solid model in my CAD software and then import to my CAM program, set my G54 at a easily referred point like a corner, and then use a hole machining strategy to drill and tap the holes, post the code and then run it.

For the part you are trying to do you could just manually type out the g code file but for professional development I'd encourage learning Fusion or whatever CAM you decide on too.

If you haven't already print out a copy of G code and M code commands https://www.cnccookbook.com/g-code-m-code-command-list-cnc-mills/ and look a a simple program and try to understand what's going on.

I have been using Bobcad for years, I want the power of Fusion 360, I just can't get it.
I mean, Me too!
I can't find a Machinist to hire around here that knows how to drive it and show me.
I took an entire MONTH trying to figure it out, and could never get so far as punching code.
Took up a membership in the PDO academy...
--- Still brain-dead.
Funny, I am a quick study. I am self-taught CNC and BobCad wasn't so awful to learn... running V 32 here...

I can't walk you through it but I can definitely advise you to walk away from it. The short term gain of the low price sucks you in but the fact that it is not stable as in they keep on changing things is a problem. I have a list as long as my arm of CAD/CAM packages that I have had to learn over the years but recently had to fire up Fusion due to my laptop malfunctioning. This was a relatively simple job of modelling and tool path creation, I made a decision over the next few hours that I will be discontinuing my subscription to Fusion. I'll finish up by repeating that old saying that is so apt in the case of Fusion. "Pay once, cry once"

I can't walk you through it but I can definitely advise you to walk away from it. The short term gain of the low price sucks you in but the fact that it is not stable as in they keep on changing things is a problem. I have a list as long as my arm of CAD/CAM packages that I have had to learn over the years but recently had to fire up Fusion due to my laptop malfunctioning. This was a relatively simple job of modelling and tool path creation, I made a decision over the next few hours that I will be discontinuing my subscription to Fusion. I'll finish up by repeating that old saying that is so apt in the case of Fusion. "Pay once, cry once"
That is exactly what drove me crazy!!!
I mean, shit, the gas pedal and brake peddle were different from one day to the next.
The entire program was a moving target.

My question is it the CAD side or the CAM side that is throwing you?

I do not use Fusion for CAD I use SolidWorks, but I do use HSMWorks which is what Fusion CAM is so I know the struggles switching from a CAM software like BobCAM I used Surfcam for 20 years and kept jumping back and forth till one day I just said I'm going to learn it, havent looked back since.

CAD side I did try Fusion but SW is in my DNA. 3 years left until I retire so probably won't jump to Fusion.

FYI the other 2 guys in the shop have been using only Fusion and love it for CAM, the new guy is programming 5 axis from never using CAM before. Since he never used anything else he's picked it very quickly.

So check your brain at the door and forget what you know, thats what I had to do from Surfcam to HSMWorks.

or see if there are High School\Community College students that know Fusion, they are sponges, hence the new guy.

Back