What's new
What's new

new to Heidenhain controller, need some help.

Nicholas Bove

Plastic
I recently acquired a series 2 R2C3 Bridgeport with a Heidenhain TNC145 controller on it. I repaired some relay and switch problems with it and it powers up, I can home all 3 axises and a can move them with the handwheel and rapid traverse joysticks now. So the machine appears to be working, however being totally new to Heidenhain, I am having trouble comprehending how to write simple programs into it and run them for testing purposes and to just get some experience in how the controller actually functions, despite having the R2C3 factory Manual and the TNC145 programming Manual. Its a totally different thing compared to my other cnc Bridgeport which has an Anilam crusader M controller on it, of which I'm now pretty good with and have done a lot of jobs on.

I suspect the the first thing I should do is reload the parameters in the Heidenhain. However I can't understand how to get to the option to either check the parameters and or actually load them back in at the controller. I have the list of the parameters in the factory Manual.

I greatly appreciate anyones input and help in figuring this out and getting my machine back to making parts.

If you call Heidenhain in Illinois, ask for Dan in Applications. Great guy and super engineer. The control is pretty good, just a little different.

Reactions: mkd
IF the machine moves, you don't need parameters
The first thing you need to do is download the parameters to your computer
metric mode:
EXT key

The control is completely conversational.
in programming mode press the 'L' key and it will walk you through the steps to completer the line
The programming language is identical to newer controls, so any heidenhain programming manual will get you going
differences:
no FMAX
2 1/2 axis, so no helical interpolation

One thing the manual doesn't really stress enough for a first timer:
when running a program, you must enter the line number it starts on[it will show up in the little separate display] and press GOTO

The control has only one program so no directory or anything. 1000 lines max. A properly setup post can make useful programs. No helical ramps or any of that silliness
I have been running an R2C3 for 30 years so I have a pretty good knowledge of this machine. I only use it once a month or so to drill holes now, but it used to make me money every day

I got a simple program to run the other day, so I'm pleased that so far it doesn't seem to have any software problems like I originally thought.
In the near future I want to have a full 3 axis controller, from what I have read on here and other cnc forums, it would seem that the TNC151 is wire for wire compatible, however its a bit unclear if the 155 is a drop in replacement too? The only thing I noticed as of now is the 155A has a different plug for the monitor.

155 might have a different monitor due to graphics
You will no doubt find many annoyances with the software, but very very few problems
Biggest issue is limited storage space.
I have found for parts that are not 3d surfacing the 151 can do quite a bit if you avoid being silly in the CAM. No helical ramps. Learn how to program so you can use label calls and tool offsets to do rough and finish rather than have the CAM write the same program twice.

I had a problem today with the spindle control and a strange z+ limit when running a program, I checked the limit switches and they are not a problem, I also checked all the interlock relays no problems there ether. So pulled the batteries to clear the parameters and I power it back up and start putting them in one at a time, I have the factory R2C3 manual with the list of 72 parameters. I have since put them in 3 times now with no success! at the parameter 72 I press ext and then it asks for the baud rate, so I put 2400 in and press enter. It then gives me a message saying
(ext in-/output not ready) and the parameters are gone again.
What am I doing wrong? Or is this 5000 pound piece of scrap metal now?

That's an old control. Not sure if the 145 has a Technical manual like newer controls, but i'd be asking Schaumburg about that. These are not openly downloadable like the rest of the manuals are.
on a 530, hitting enter while inseide the machine parameter will corrupt the file.

The first problem I have is that my R2C3 installation manual (which I payed 75$ for) has only 72 parameters when my controller is asking for 78. Why is that?
I found on another forum a list of parameters that goes to 78 which are supposed to be for the TNC145, but now I have a Y gross positioning error when it homes itself. Unfortunately I never was able to get whatever parameters that were in my machine, as I honestly could never figure out how to retrieve them so that I can screenshot all of them.

I have no understanding of why you deleted the parameters
Don’t do that
You keep searching for a big problem when it is a little problem
The axis travel parameters are to some extent particular to the machine and would be hand written in the manual
It should not be asking you for a Baud rate
Not sure what that is about
Try hitting end block or delete block instead entering it
It should remember whatever parameters you have entered
If it gives you a gross positioning error After homing it is either moving to n the wrong direction or one of the other movement parameters is incorrect
It should not give you a gp errror until after the servos have locked when it is homed

I pmed you a set of parameters that may work. DOn't use the first set[the double spaced set] they are for a different machine
The second set should be exactly your machine

The parameters you previously entered are mine from 15 years ago
So they should be correct
You have either mis transcribed them or your machine is on a limit so it cannot move.
Does the power enable relay hold when you hit the power enable button?

Back