What's new
What's new

New to me Hendey 12X30 18 speed

Soot n' Cinders

Plastic
Hi everyone! First time poster here, bleeding over from the Chaski machinist page.
I just purchased a new pair of machines last weekend and was hoping for some info. I got a 1968 Bridgeport 2J head 9x42in mill. I have a J head already so I think I have this one under control. Only thing Im not sure about is the grease for the head, the plate calls out Lubriplate #107 grease. Is this still available or what is a good modern replacement for this grease?

Anyway, on to the title of the post. The other machine is a Hendey 18 speed 12x30 Lathe. It came with a decent amount of tooling as well as 3 chucks and a steady rest so I think I got a good machine. Only thing is, I couldn't get it to run before I bought it. It was wired to an old Ray Whitey static phase converter so my gut feeling is the phase converter has failed. I was planning on replacing this with a rotary converter anyway, looking at American Rotary since I can get a 10HP one off Amazon of all places. And MSC and Grainger are way over charging for a Phase-a-matic.
In the meantime I would like to clean it up and change the oils, as well as get some info on it. This is my first gear head lathe and its my first roller bearing so not sure what best practice is. The serial number is 29604, the owner told me he thought it was a 1938 model but wasn't sure.
This lathe definitely has taper roller bearings, judging by the "TRB" stamped into the cover on the spindle. What oil is best for these bearings though? I have some Mobil Velocite #10 oil on hand for my plain bearing South Bend but not sure if this would be good for the bearings. Looks like the owner used SAE 30 motor oil in it, but its sat for 5 years without use and almost all of the oil from the whole machine has drained into the pan.
Basically I would like a run down of the different oils for the apron, spindle, and gear boxes and if theres any filters I should pull out to clean or replace while the machine is empty. And any other tips for keeping one of these beasts in good running order. Its a lot more complicated than my little South Bend so its a little intimidating. Thanks in advance!

66629428039__D541CFB1-56D7-4934-8D0F-91523479955C.jpg
66629427262__C052192A-45C8-4AE0-95A5-41C666E093C8.jpg

Good luck with your new acquisition, they look great. I also recently purchased the same lathe with serial #29888. I am currently in the process of getting mine cleaned up, painted and running again. I've shown some progress on another forum.

Let me know if you have any questions.

skipid1

Posting your work on the Hendey at HSM, is like casting your pearls before swine.
Few, if any will ever "get it", appreciate it or realize how much better a machine it is than any SouthBend, Atlas or china junk.

Posting your work on the Hendey at HSM, is like casting your pearls before swine.
Few, if any will ever "get it", appreciate it or realize how much better a machine it is than any SouthBend, Atlas or china junk.

Well, I wanted anyone who has one of these machines to have some info on how they work and run. I myself have followed the posting of KIMFAB on refurbishing his 12x30 in 2011 and its been a great reference for me as I had no experience with Hendey until now. That and the help of hendeyman I've been able to navigate the disassembly and refurbishment of my machine without much pain and agony.

Back