What's new
What's new

New to me Kearney Trecker 2D milling machine

Mccolid is right about the stops, and the table drive motor not being original. The best way to date the machine is to post the serial number and one of us will respond with the month/year is was made along with how many others were built in the batch. I'm still sticking with my estimate of mid/late 60's.
Jeff

Hi Everyone.

Thank you for the continued support.

I have attached further images, I think the machine was made in the UK? on licence as the reference number appears to be an unusual format. John has already had a look I think and could not find anything that matched in the usual K7T reference sources.

I suspect that is why the motors look different, they were sourced for the UK 50Hz supply here. All the motors appear to be the same manufacture and are painted in the original finish?

Looking at he edge of the table there was some damage to the brass wiper and one of the wiper retaining screws was deformed so that would add weight to the theory of the table being motored with an object jammed between the table edge and gearbox. The nature of the crack suggest just such a lateral force?

Here are some images of the panel numbers I can find, there is nothing on any of the castings.

Also, do any of you have a wiring diagram I can start from?

Thank you Malcolm

2014-10-04 10.07.00.jpg

The Spindle does not have a draw bar as the tapered hole in the spindle does not have any through hole... I think its 30 taper, so I have ordered one from eBay to see if I can make something fit.
2014-10-04 14.59.57.jpg
It does have the powered Knee though...
2014-10-04 10.03.01.jpg
Don't know if this will help identify any dates?...
2014-10-04 10.07.15.jpg

The only USA serials I know about are nothing like that

A lot a 20 with a lot number of 8788 will have a serial such as 19-8788

When they dumped that system in 1970, the product code of 58 was applied to the 2D, and this would be the leading digits of the serial

You are looking at a UK serial, plain and simple, which I have never seen before

That serial number looks pretty standard

Also, ill bet your x travel issue is in the gearbox/motor because there must have been a hell of a lot of force on it to make that break. In fact, I wonder if that 3/4 hp motor could even do it!

I had taken the gearbox and motor housing off as well as the screw and the table would not move. I am going to attempt to push out the gib on Saturday to free up the table. Its been sitting for a week now flooded with wd40.

Last resort is the jack and brace plan.

My 30 taper collet shouldbe here by the weekend so keen to see if i can modify it to fit the spindle.

I read somewhere about being able to jam the gib and lock it up. Mine is locked on both ends to prevent this...e.g. loosen one side and tighten the other to adjust.

Thank you mccolld.

Can I please appologise to everyone. I had no idea I was abusing the forum rules by hogging this thread. I had started my own thread, but you guys here were very helpful.
Thank you again for yourunderstanding, I will revert to the thread I started.
Malcolm

Back