What's new
What's new

New to me LeBlond Regal Servo Shift, questions

I believe the headstock gears are the same whether servo shift or not. I have a parts machine that may have what you need. You'd need to take the whole machine though - no cost. Northeast of Atlanta. Good luck with your lathe.
Greg

I sent you a PM regarding this. I would gladly make the trip for it.

I've not done a good job updating this thread. My dad has had some health issues and it has just been pushed back into the corner until there's more free time to play with it. LeBlond shipped me some parts that were needed to get it up and running and it cuts and all the speeds that aren't stripped work great. The cross-feed screw and nut had been recently fixed and there's really no backlash so I'm very pleased overall. Still some issues shifting but if you rock the chuck by hand it does what it is supposed to. I was able to scoop up a steady, follow, carriage stop and some other odds and ends on ebay for next to nothing so all I need is that gear.

We have a couple servo shift leblonds at work, nice lathes though I do not often run them, we have some older regals that I prefer. One of the servo shifts was in my bosses dads garage for some time, being used in his home shop, we were talking about it just the other day, he told me that when the machine was in his dad's garage they had it running on a rotary phase converter, and that the converter did sometimes cause the shifting mechanism to not work right, but apparently it DID work, they just needed to be careful that things actually shifted. In its current configuration I would occasionally have to put the break on twice on one of them to get it to shift over, I don't recall the issue but the engineer in the shop recently repaired it.

From a maintenance standpoint it's my opinion that the servo shift mechanism is indeed overly complicated for its intended purpose and I really do not care for it, however from a user standpoint they really are quite pleasant, until something goes wrong.

Mike,
If you are still on this forum, I have a new to me Regal servo shift 1530 and it just got power and seems to have a shift issue. I am a hobby guy and new to the hobby. I would really appreciate the article.
Thanks
John
[email protected]
Thanks
Check that the electric brake is working, sometimes the wires to the magnet break, without the brake it will not shift. I have had a servo shift for about 15 years, the only thing to go wrong is one of the brake magnet wires failed.

I had a 19" Servo Shift on a static convertor (35 years ago) and what I did was once the 7 1/2 hp motor was started I would fire up a 1 hp motor somewhere so when the big motor stopped for the shift the servo shift would kick on because the 1 hp was still running. Saying that there's no way in hell I'd run a static again. I have a 10 and 20 from American Rotary.

If there is a problem with the zero speed switch or the brake the lathe can still be shifted as long as the hydraulic pump works. When the hydraulic pump is running, rotate the spindle by hand. You will be able to feel when the gears mesh. Then rotate backward a little bit to ensure proper gear mesh and you are ready to go.

Mike,
If you are still on this forum, I have a new to me Regal servo shift 1530 and it just got power and seems to have a shift issue. I am a hobby guy and new to the hobby. I would really appreciate the article.
Thanks
John
[email protected]
Thanks
Mike,
I got the info ... THANKS SO MUCH.

Now I need more HELP :-(
When I used your info I was trying to address an apparent shift issue. The issue shifted.
I took the cover off the belt drive and started the machine, which has always (since I have had it) been noisy. Found the issue ... When I started it with the cover off I observed that the drive pulley appeared to be loose. Further investigation showed it is. Apparently earlier in the life of this 11C1473 the pully was loose, wore the inside of the pulley and someone tried to use shim stock to compensate. Didn't work so good!
Now I have a repair or replace issue.
Does anyone have a belt drive pulley for a Servo Shift. A little over 8" in diameter with three v-belt groves on outside.

Post pictures of what you have. I suspect repair of the existing part will be your best option.

PM your e-mail addy and I'll send you the .pdf file of My Brake Don' Work & My Lathe Don't Shift, which are essential reading for any LeBlond Regal Servo-Shift owner.

Mike
Mike, is it possible to get the same reading material for my 15" Leblond Regal Lathe, I am having the same issues. I don't know how to PM (private message someone.
Thanks,
Bob

Back