What's new
What's new

new to me puma 400c with 21i-tb tool setting question.

paulcnc44

Plastic
Just bought this used, it is a 2007 model. When I command m112 to call up qsetter, alarm is generated that says m80 or m81 alarm. Not much explanation is given but appears there is a problem with the qsetter. I tried setting a tool manually by touching a tool on diameter and typing x2.5 and press measure button. 2.5 inputted directly into the x geometry offset box. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm wondering if I need to somehow disable the presetter in parameters before I can measure tools manually. I need to get either of these methods working. thank you.

I used to work for Daewoo/Doosan/DN as training. If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the legacy training manuals I wrote.
To answer your question -
When I get a new-to-me machine, the first thing I do is clear out any old offsets or work coordinates.
Now, on Daewoo/Doosan/DN , X "0" is the centerline of the machine, normally. So in the Work Coordinates X is left at "0"

First, do your tool offsets. You did it correctly, touching a tool to a known OD and "X, (part dia), Measure."
Do the same for Z.
For ID tools such as drills/taps/reamers, X stays "0" and only the length gets measured.
ID tools such as boring bars, thread/groove etc get measured same as OD.

Let me know!
PS - DN still supports the machine!

Is your tool setting arm actually motorized? On my 21i Lynx which is a few years older I manually pull down the setter and then jog the tool into the setter and when the light comes on it inputs the value, no M code needed.

Is your tool setting arm actually motorized? On my 21i Lynx which is a few years older I manually pull down the setter and then jog the tool into the setter and when the light comes on it inputs the value, no M code needed.
It is. When I try to pull it down there is resistance and it try's to spring back to the stored position.

I assumed. I didn't try to force it, just checking for auto or manual. So I tried using the manual x measure z measure method I'm used to on other fanuc controls I've used in the past. Again it inputs the number into the field, Instead of a calculated number i would expect that would be a measurement from machine home position to present position. Slowed down movement overrides and mdi commanded to test positioning As expected the tool positioned incorrectly. I'm guessing maybe I need to disable the presetter option in parameters before I can use this manual setting method. thoughts?

You shouldn't have to disable the setter.
If the "measure" function is not working correctly it might be due to a parameter change by the previous owner.
Give your distributor a call. They're pretty good at searching that stuff.

I'm not sure where is best to post a solution, so I will post it right here. So I got the tool setter call function of M112 From a YouTube video. I didn't have any manuals for the machine machine, as it didn't come with any. It turns out my control calls the tool center with M80 and stores it with M81. Everything worked fine with the right codes. I want to say thank you to everyone for your responses. I'm sure I will have more questions about this machine in the near future :)

I'm not sure where is best to post a solution, so I will post it right here. So I got the tool setter call function of M112 From a YouTube video. I didn't have any manuals for the machine machine, as it didn't come with any. It turns out my control calls the tool center with M80 and stores it with M81. Everything worked fine with the right codes. I want to say thank you to everyone for your responses. I'm sure I will have more questions about this machine in the near future :)
Glad it worked out.
I have the class manuals, and lots of goodies, I wrote when I worked there. PM me, I'll send them, in PDF format.

I used to work for Daewoo/Doosan/DN as training. If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the legacy training manuals I wrote.
To answer your question -
When I get a new-to-me machine, the first thing I do is clear out any old offsets or work coordinates.
Now, on Daewoo/Doosan/DN , X "0" is the centerline of the machine, normally. So in the Work Coordinates X is left at "0"

First, do your tool offsets. You did it correctly, touching a tool to a known OD and "X, (part dia), Measure."
Do the same for Z.
For ID tools such as drills/taps/reamers, X stays "0" and only the length gets measured.
ID tools such as boring bars, thread/groove etc get measured same as OD.

Let me know!
PS - DN still supports the machine!
Hi Douglas,
could I get a copy of those training manuals you wrote? I'm finding enough new things on this machine to me that I think a refresher could be way helpful.
thanks in advance

paul gregory
[email protected]
[email protected]

Back