What's new
What's new

New to me South Bend 16” 12ft bed

Fregoe

Plastic
I just recently acquired a South Bend 16” model 117H a 12ft bed model. Took a little finesse with my tractor to unload it and get it into my shop. Luckily my shop is a Quonset so the doors open 24ft. It’s in very good condition overall just a little wear on the compound nut about .040 slop cross slide is better only .020. Has taper attachment but missing clamp for bed so I’m looking for that and also a steady rest and the movable lead screw support. If anyone knows where there some let me know. Just hooked up a vfd to it runs good. Now just to get it positioned in its spot and level this very long lathe. Also picked up a Brown & Sharpe 2l surface grinder. Paid $400 for the grinder and $150 for the lathe. I think I did pretty good. I’ll post a couple pics of it from where I picked it up.

Attachments

• South bend 16.jpg
    South bend 16.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 163
Sounds like you did great. I dunno about a 12' bed, though. LOL! I think I'd find someone selling a shorter bed and lead screw and swap them out. But you may need that, where I don't even have room!

I thought this was a cut to the length you want lathe. Lol. I may never need the 105" center to center but if I need it I have it.

I thought this was a cut to the length you want lathe. Lol. I may never need the 105" center to center but if I need it I have it.

I have the taper attachment bed clamp. I also have the arm for the collet table. My lathe was missing the taper attachment but came with the bed clamp, how does this stuff happen seriously.

That’s a beast! Make a wooden table to put over the ways on the far end to use as a work bench/storage. I’m in Cincinnati Ohio, I imagine shipping might make for a problem on this “taper support”

I have the taper attachment bed clamp. I also have the arm for the collet table. My lathe was missing the taper attachment but came with the bed clamp, how does this stuff happen seriously.

That’s a beast! Make a wooden table to put over the ways on the far end to use as a work bench/storage. I’m in Cincinnati Ohio, I imagine shipping might make for a problem on this “taper support”

I'd be interested in it shouldn't be too bad for shipping. Do you have a pic? Send me a message. Thanks

just for curiosity, what do you intend to turn with it?????

I was thinking of making some 1/4" bolts about 1" long. Or I can get into boat prop shafts. Honestly don't have any plan for using the full length yet. Just couldn't pass it up.

Lathe that long could make a man jealous, it’d turn into a personal challenge for me to find something max length and watch the old girl run a cut end to end

Maybe when you get it all sorted you can make some lead screws for the short bed guys like me with only a 6 foot bed! lol

Back