What's new
What's new

New to the forum looking for suggestions on scraping

Ironworker15

Aluminum
My name is John and Im new here.Just wanting to get some advice from more experienced members here. I purchased a Starrett 199 recently for what I feel is a heck of a deal$(100). It is in very good shape cosmeticly but the base was pretty well worn. It still had the original scraping on it but was pretty tore up. Did not come with the case so I can only imagine how it was stored. After hinging and finding the ends were high I decided to give it a couple of passes with the hand scraper. Here are my results. I plan on using this as a small straight edge as well so I'd really like to get the point count up a little more. Im counting between 25/30. Am I in the ballpark on this? I've been scraping for a few years now but have had no formal training other than my father showing me a few things and researching online. Would love to get some professional opinions on this. If I'm not even close, then I'd like to know. Any advice, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• KIMG5803.JPG
    KIMG5803.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • KIMG5794.JPG
    KIMG5794.JPG
    886 KB · Views: 22
  • KIMG5796.JPG
    KIMG5796.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • KIMG5800.JPG
    KIMG5800.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • KIMG5801.JPG
    KIMG5801.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • KIMG5791.JPG
    KIMG5791.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Looks good scratch. I see some circular scratches that are from 1) a dirty stone 2) not wiping off the ink and level with your hand before bluing up. Not doing that and it leaves dirt. I see you are using Yellow. Read about that here? When you think the level is done. install the bubble and set it on a flat surface. set the bubble on a lin wait 10 seconds and then press your thumb down each end at a time. The bubble should not move. If it does the level is high in the middle. Be sure the level hinge pivots at 30% from each end.

I scrape a lot of levels in my classes this way. The way it came to you, Starrett scraped it high on the ends so when you "bucked" it in or set it on a lathe bed or whatever you're going to level you rub it back and forth. I ask the customer what they are going to use the level for? If it is for only leveling I scrape it high on the ends. If I will use it for scraping I scrape it straight like a straight edge.

Looks good scratch. I see some circular scratches that are from 1) a dirty stone 2) not wiping off the ink and level with your hand before bluing up. Not doing that and it leaves dirt. I see you are using Yellow. Read about that here? When you think the level is done. install the bubble and set it on a flat surface. set the bubble on a lin wait 10 seconds and then press your thumb down each end at a time. The bubble should not move. If it does the level is high in the middle. Be sure the level hinge pivots at 30% from each end.

I scrape a lot of levels in my classes this way. The way it came to you, Starrett scraped it high on the ends so when you "bucked" it in or set it on a lathe bed or whatever you're going to level you rub it back and forth. I ask the customer what they are going to use the level for? If it is for only leveling I scrape it high on the ends. If I will use it for scraping I scrape it straight like a straight edge.
Thank you for your help. I did read about using the yellow on here as well as seeing Kieth use it on his videos. I was thinking that the level may have been high on ends for relief but wasn't sure. Now I am. I've been using Prussian blue and it definitely attracts dirt. As for cleaning the stones, I use a 1000 grit diamond flat for surfacing them but must've not cleaned it well enough after. I am planning on ordering a set of precision ground stones from Lances website soon. I know it's hard to see in the picture, but in the square I have, what would you count that as for points? Thank you.

Back