What's new
What's new

New Toy - Walker-Turner D950 15" DP

DannyDrillpress2.jpg

How could anyone resist one of these machines, knowing that Danny Drillpress was right there to lend a helping hand?

:D

-

DannyDrillpress2.jpg

How could anyone resist one of these machines, knowing that Danny Drillpress was right there to lend a helping hand?

:D

-

Easy. Keep yer back to the wall and yer "cheeks" clenched.

Danny is what they call a 'top'. Can resist seeking one penetration after another. It's in his DNA, after all.

:)

Bill

Hey;

I got a new drive belt. One without a chunk missing. Smooth as silk! Also got the Rohm keyless chuck I ordered. It is supposedly metric, 1-13mm. How a chuck knows that it's metric, or that a drill bit is, I've never been quite sure. This thing has to be the heaviest chunk of steel around, and about a third the price of a new Albrecht. Probably outweighs the spindle and quill combined. Increases the inertia of the press by a factor! Piloted and then drilled a half inch hole in a piece of 1/4" steel. No problem!

W-THeadstock.jpg

Nicely documented job.
Here's the exploded parts view of the Craftsman dp that goes with your base.
CRAFTSMAN CRAFTSMAN DRILL PRESS Parts | Model 113-2454 | Sears PartsDirect

-Marty-
Interesting;

Yes, the left base pictured there is the same. As mentioned, I like the internal saddle clamp arrangement far better than a correct crude set screw auguring into and chewing up the column.

This press needed very little, so the documentation is slight in breadth. I probably need to replace the pivot/clamping bolt I tossed in the tilting table. I could feel the threads give a bit when I cranked down the nut, and I detect some play. It had enough threads for the job, whereas every other 1/2" bolt I had at hand was too long of shank. I doubt I'll ever use the tilting table feature, but I sure like the physical look of it better than the standard one. I'll bet a stronger bolt will obviate any changes in table style.

Although it is not that hard to do, it's too bad everything above it on the column has to come off to change that bolt!

Hey;

I got a new drive belt. One without a chunk missing. Smooth as silk! Also got the Rohm keyless chuck I ordered. It is supposedly metric, 1-13mm. How a chuck knows that it's metric, or that a drill bit is, I've never been quite sure. This thing has to be the heaviest chunk of steel around, and about a third the price of a new Albrecht. Probably outweighs the spindle and quill combined. Increases the inertia of the press by a factor! Piloted and then drilled a half inch hole in a piece of 1/4" steel. No problem!

W-THeadstock.jpg

Mind sharing the model# for that Rohm keyless chuck? I believe it's been discontinued, but I'm trying to buy a used or old stock one for my own similar drill press.

Redline man......I’ve got this drill in original condition. I need to replace the pulley at the top of the machine. If you’ve got the time could you explain to me how to remove the spindle and change the pulley. Love the drill but with a broken pulley I can’t change speeds. Thanks

Here is my Walker Turner bench drill press mounted on a stand with casters underneath..Please pardon the mess... The drill press and two sets of four drawer clusters were destined for a dumpster next to a condemned building... I had been in and out of that building off and on for probably close to 30 years before I retired.. The WT Driver motor was so full of mud dauber nests that it could not be saved so I used a motor from a lathe which is "unmentionable" in this forum..The motor is very old and in perfect condition... I used all new cast iron step pulleys with an idler in the center for more speeds... This drill press with easily drill a 1/2" hole in steel without burning a bit... Dumpster diving can be fun! Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• dp.jpg
    dp.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 128
  • dp1.jpg
    dp1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 119
  • motor and pulleys.JPG
    motor and pulleys.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 114
Ramsay--that's an interesting table/vise on your W/T. Could you give us a better look?

Tom B.

The table I got from an old Delta I think but cannot remember for sure.. I am not the trunk monkey who put all the divits in the table....

Thinking about maybe putting the drive from another dp on the WT but then I would lose most of my storage space...Reeves drive on a farm duty motor connected to the gearbox from an old woods belly mower...Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• table.JPG
    table.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 97
  • table 2.JPG
    table 2.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 94
  • switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 110
  • reeves.JPG
    reeves.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 86
  • reeeves 1.JPG
    reeeves 1.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 88
Hi RedlineMan,

Good job on the column clamp for the head raising assembly. What kind metal did you use and how did you form it? I picked one up with the same problem.

Thanks
Justin

Hope Y’all are well, I know it’s been a good while since this was posted, but I’m working on updating my Series 1 900. I like the idea of the keyless chuck and see where you fitted one to your DP, is there any chance you remember or have the model of the Rohm chuck. Before I split the current Jacobs from the shaft I’d like to have a replacement in hand. Also I started having a problem with the spline spinning inside the step pulley, I re-pinned it with a center-punch and it seems to be holding thus far. 3/4” holes in 1/8 S.S. CA6CBE7D-C6D8-4AD8-BAB0-144E7F6BEE73.jpgC453B76E-A0F9-4071-B18D-D85136D88EA3.jpg

Back