What's new
What's new

New Trav-a-dial ?

Fuck it, I think I have a good one somewhere, I'll mount it to the Graziano and see if what I thought about them 25-30 years ago still holds. If it works ok I'll boil my shorts and eat them.

Satisfied?

Fuck it, I think I have a good one somewhere, I'll mount it to the Graziano and see if what I thought about them 25-30 years ago still holds. If it works ok I'll boil my shorts and eat them.

Satisfied?
I bought an old Tsugami Turret lathe 10 years ago that had a Trav-A Dial mounted on it. It's still on there today. Mounting a digital readout was never a priority. Lol.

For not super touchy stuff I liked the last one I used. Mainly because sometimes it's easier to bring in an analog dial than watch numbers.
Then we got a DRO that had a little line under the numbers you could use to find center. Not quite as nice, but close enough.
Now I'm on a lathe with just the numbers again. It splits tenths repeatably, but it's a bit more mental effort to walk up to an edge than with an analog dial.

For not super touchy stuff I liked the last one I used. Mainly because sometimes it's easier to bring in an analog dial than watch numbers.
Then we got a DRO that had a little line under the numbers you could use to find center. Not quite as nice, but close enough.
Now I'm on a lathe with just the numbers again. It splits tenths repeatably, but it's a bit more mental effort to walk up to an edge than with an analog dial.
No law against having a DRO and also using a magnetic base indicator on the ways for decreased mental load as you watch the needle approach zero. Less tired at the end of the day is a good thing.
Trav-a-dial VS DRO......my Ebay Dirtron and Kexin units probably cost less than some used TAD offerings. No complaints about either brand.

lol, I love the tag line
1715690282417.png
"most accurate" lol
I have one on an old leblond clone, I like it but I also like tape measures, it has it's place

This.gif

Now that DROs come with full color LCD displays, I want one with optional dial display next to the digital. Perhaps even a small, bluetooth remote display that could be mounted on the carriage.

View attachment 439726

Now that DROs come with full color LCD displays, I want one with optional dial display next to the digital. Perhaps even a small, bluetooth remote display that could be mounted on the carriage.
Dial display is a novel idea. Google search shows nothing, but if you talked to the right
people in Shenzhen, they'd probably whip something up in a week or so.

Dial display is a novel idea. Google search shows nothing,
Google is the tool of the devil :)

Federal made digital dial indicators that had an analog display ages and ages ago. They were quite expensive tho ... these (weird that I couldn't find an image that shows a live display, but it's analog in appearance, a darker grey area that shows where a needle would be)

-1.jpg

Yeah, if someone in shenzhen made them it'd be tits. People would scream about "stolen ip !" but it's a simple idea, just that federal is the only ones who have done it so far)

Google is the tool of the devil :)

Federal made digital dial indicators that had an analog display ages and ages ago. They were quite expensive tho ... these (weird that I couldn't find an image that shows a live display, but it's analog in appearance, a grey area that shows where a needle would be)

View attachment 439806

Yeah, if someone in shenzhen made them it'd be tits. People would scream about "stolen ip !" but it's a simple idea, just that federal is the only ones who have done it so far)
My Tesa gage head amp does this too, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen others. 8 years ago our DRO Pros DRO had a straight line that would do this. Even went slow when far away and then faster up close IIRC. Not sure how I feel about a straight line vs dial. I do like an analog needle though, easier than the digital version even if the same shape.

Back