What's new
What's new

newb umc 500 b/c brake question

chineshop_guy

Cast Iron
ran my first 5axis program today. had a part with a steep wall tilted over in B and rotating around in C stepping down in Z.
all went fine but was noticing the brakes were engaging and disengaging at each z step not commanded in the program.
so is this normal, a function of the machine?
don't see the need as it slows execution down

not what i was after.
it , the machine, turns on the brakes before the z steps down, turns brakes back off and resumes it's motion.
there's no m10/m12 in the program doing it. is there a setting that controls this on the machine that could be turned off or is it hard coded in the machines firmware

ran my first 5axis program today.
i did software testing at haas for a number of years, and touched this behavior several times.
without being able to see your code in context, it's hard to say what's happening.
generally, it helps to specifically command the brake behavior into the desired state you're looking for before executing motion. Are you doing DWO / TCPC?
it's not a setting, it's a software behavior. is it doing what it's supposed to? probably. is it doing what you expect? as a new programmer, that's also hard to say.
i gave you the solution, take it as you will.

Last edited:
finally got to speak to a application engineer at the HFO. as coyoinu eluded to there has apparently been several revisions over the years as to how this is handled by the machine.
for the record this applies to TCPC (G234), simultaneous 5 axis operations.
currently best solution is to have a M11, M13 (unlocks) just prior to the G234.
added this to my post processor and now program runs smoothly with out the hesitations as i was intending.

Back