What's new
What's new

Newbie - Drill Bit and Reamer

unfinished_proj

Plastic
Hey y'all,

I'm new to anything "machinist" related, but when I get back from deployment, I'm looking to learn as much as I can, possibly get an old lathe and milling machine and see what I can do.

Anway, I know this is going to be a basic question for most, but I came across these today in the shop and wasn't quite sure what they were. One looks to be a reamer and the other is obviously a drill bit, but it has a unique end on it. I am not sure how you chuck them both up? Is the one a hand reamer?

Thanks,

Kevindrill bit.jpgreamer.jpg

the drill is a morse taper(the tapered end is the give away) it will fit into a hole with the same taper and stay tite.

The "reamer" is usally called a bolt extractor, ahole slightly smaller than the extractor is drilled into broken bolt,the extractor is then turned into the hole hopefully forcing the bolt out,it has left hand spiral,bolts are usally right hand threaded.
Be safe
Gw

Hi Kevin, Welcome to the site. The object in the first photo is a morse taper twist drill, you will need to mount that in a taper spindle. You can't really ' chuck it'. The object in the second photo is a broken screw extractor. You drill a hole to the size designated on the extractor in your broken screw, drive the extractor into the hole and wind out the broken screw. Because the extractor has a left handed thread it will bite into the broken screw.

Regards Tyrone.

Kevin,

The picture on the left is definitely a drill bit, however it is one that is designed to fit straight into the spindle of a machine or the tail stock of a lathe. The tapered end is probably a morse #2 taper (from my experience at least) most industrial drill presses (or lathe tail stocks) have the drill chuck pressed into the spindle using the same or similar taper, remove the chuck and insert the drill and your ready to rock. As for the image on the right while its similar in design to a taper reamer its actually a bolt extractor. It should have a number or bolt size and a drill size etched on the side. Drill the head/body of a stripped cap head or similar bolt deep enough to stick the helix end down into the bolt, tap on the square side with a hammer while turning it counter-clockwise to seat it good in the bolt. Last step attach a tap handle of adequate size and slowly back out the bolt, this technique will not work on reverse thread bolts though.

Best of luck,
Tom

...Can a morse taper drill bit only be used in a lathe? Are there sleeves that can adapt to a drill press or milling machine? Thanks again.

You will find that most larger drill presses come with a morse taper spindle. Drills with a MT shank of the right size will fit right in and you would use a drill chuck with a MT arbor if you wanted to use smaller drills...

Welcome aboard, this place is the best for having those "oh yea now didn't I think of that moments". Really the guys here are great just a couple pointers though, read a lot and when you post like you did (perfect) post pics when possible they help a lot and be very specific in your title. By the way the larger size screw extractors can be used in pipes as well, not sure if it is kosher cause bungs up the threads sometimes, but your usually taking out cause it is already busted up.

Second thank you for your service, there a number of vets here as well, and your sacrifices are all appreciated.

Doug

Back