What's new
What's new

Newbie scraper in Japan

That looks better. The diamond disc will get better for your purposes as it wears in a bit. You can't really have a scraper blade that is too smooth, so as high a grit as you can get won't hurt anything. That 3k will break in and do a very nice job after the diamonds round off and dull a bit. Scraping is a sliding push cut, so as smooth an edge as possible is beneficial and should also last longer before needing a touch-up.

We did our best to avoid scraping milled surfaces. It always made getting under the “ skin “ difficult.

Regards Tyrone.
Interesting, but I can understand why after roughing just two small sides. :LOL: I saw an interview with a Japanese manufacturer, and they were asked why they didn't pre-grind their bearing surfaces before scraping. They said they used a milled finish because it was easier to get that initial bite of the scraper blade, that too smooth of a base surface was harder to scrape. I'm assuming they used a much finer finish than this block though.

Interesting, but I can understand why after roughing just two small sides. :LOL: I saw an interview with a Japanese manufacturer, and they were asked why they didn't pre-grind their bearing surfaces before scraping. They said they used a milled finish because it was easier to get that initial bite of the scraper blade, that too smooth of a base surface was harder to scrape. I'm assuming they used a much finer finish than this block though.
A milled finish is easier to scrape than a slideways ground finish but a nicely planed finish is what you really want.

Regards Tyrone.

Back