What's new
What's new

Newbie with Z overtravel, Fanuc OM

solidworks4u

Aluminum
The program created in BobCad v29, the error is Z over travel, type of controller Fanuc OM 1995. After BobCad finishes generating the g-code, I use a post processor for this model of controller. When the g-code is completed, I always need to add a feed rate to the 1st line of that new process (in the pic, line 4097* at the end "F12.") was added to all 3 areas of program, but now this area causes Z axis over travel, the small attached section is where the Z axis over travel occurs. Even if the same tool is used all the way through the program, the g-code is similar to the attached & needs editing. The attached section of code is a "pocket", this section is where it is starting to do the finish profile (ID cut) of that pocket.

The line 4098 is where the controller shows it stopped. Naturally, the tool is all the way up to home position. Can I remove just the "G54" in line 4097*, and in the other areas of the program?

I am using DNC4U with software handshake & 4 wire 25 pin to 9 pin cable, until the new parts arrive to do the hardware handshake.

If I could tweak the post processor to add the feed rate and remove or what ever is necessary to stop the over travel, I would be ever so grateful.

Many thanks, all suggestions welcomed.

Edit: the "*" are edited to match pic, so sorry.
angelw, many thanks for your help!! The 4 wire cable was from a "DNC One" device that did everything but "drip feed".

Attachments

• Line4098G-Code.png
    Line4098G-Code.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The line 4098 is where the controller shows it stopped. Naturally, the tool is all the way up to home position. Can I remove just the "G54" in line 4116, and in the other areas of the program?
Post a copy of the code that relates to your explanation (there aren't line numbers 4116, or 4124 in the code you have posted), so that your Post makes more sense.

What is the cable pinout of the cable you're using? For Software Handshaking, only three wires are used, Send, Receive and Signal Ground.

Regards

angelw, thanks! Hardware handshaking is the preferred method from what I have read & others have suggested.
The cable has pin out for software handshaking, this will start the program as soon as the program gets to the controller, when using DNC4U. Parts are on the way for new cable.
This is the pin out software handshaking:
1-x
2-2
3-3
4-x
5-7
6-x
7-x
8-x
9-25

Having confidence in editing the program is where I am struggling, I can read the alarm but not shore of the best approach or how to workaround.
Many thanks, suggestions welcomed!

.......The line 4098 is where the controller shows it stopped. Naturally, the tool is all the way up to home position. Can I remove just the "G54" in line 4097*, and in the other areas of the program?.......
In the lines leading up to 4098, there is no command to make "the tool is all the way up to home position". Can you explain that statement a bit further?

If this is just a continuation of using the same tool and simply moving to a new area to cut, there is no need to restate G43 H2. However I do not see an M3 to restart the spindle after it would be stopped at the M5 issued on line 4095

usolutions, many thanks! So we are talking about all that stuff between the "()" between line 4096 & line 4097?​

Vancbiker, many thanks!! The Z axis (bed mill) is in the "zero return" location, the other axis stopped, where they stopped. I am not using the BT-40 spindle (the Post Processor & the parameters were edited to allow this) so I really don't want the spindle to start, currently attached is a hi-speed spindle, manual off/on.​

You say "simply moving to a new area to cut, there is no need to restate G43 H2" line 4098 can be removed? Can the next line 4099 be removed too? If I edit and my thinking is true, this would allow the tool .120" above the material, go to the edge of the pocket & (go to cut height) take cut around the outside perimeter of the pocket. Is my thinking correct?

Is there any chance that I can tweak the post processor to help in any of this, or will I need to review each new program and be ready to study this area of the program?

Many, many thanks!!

angelw, thanks! Hardware handshaking is the preferred method from what I have read & others have suggested.
The cable has pin out for software handshaking, this will start the program as soon as the program gets to the controller, when using DNC4U. Parts are on the way for new cable.
This is the pin out software handshaking:
1-x
2-2
3-3
4-x
5-7
6-x
7-x
8-x
9-25

Having confidence in editing the program is where I am struggling, I can read the alarm but not shore of the best approach or how to workaround.
Many thanks, suggestions welcomed!

Where did you get that connection pinout from. Certainly not from anyone that knows even a little bit about RS232 comms.

Pin 9 of the DB9 Connector should not be connected and certainly not to pin 25 of the DB25 connector. Pin 25 of the DB25 connector is not assigned for use in any communication arrangement. It's normal use is to supply 24vdc to power an external device. Pin 9 of the DB9 connector is "Ring Indicator" and is not used in either Software or Hardware communication with your machine tool.

The cable works in your application because pins 9 and 25 for the DB9.DB25 connector respectively are not used. I would be very careful connecting 24vdc, as is the case in your example, directly to any pin at the other end of the cable.

At the DB25 Connector, pins 4 and 5 should be bridged together, and pins 6, 8, and 20 should be bridged together.

Is there any chance that I can tweak the post processor to help in any of this, or will I need to review each new program and be ready to study this area of the program?
Yes, you should be able to edit the Post Processor file to give the output result that is to your liking.

Regards,

Bill

Bill (angelw), many thanks! The cable in question came with a DNC One that work ok to copy programs to/from controller, but would never "drip feed" I have returned it and send the pin out to them, and they may want the cable if it is not pined to their diagram. My new DB9 cable ends will ship in a few more days from what message I have received today.
I have 2 PC that have DNC4U on them, the original window 7 (upgraded to win 10) & a windows 10 (64 bit) with Bobcad, that I don't want in the shop long term, the win 7 PC is what I plan to use. The win 7 has never been able to communicate with the mill, not shore of the issue, so went back to win 10 PC, with cable as described. Both Dell PC have DB25 socket, so I had all the parts necessary for the 25 to 25 cable (as in attached diagram), with Hardware Handshake, but only tried on the win 7 PC. The attached diagrams are from information from DNC4U. I plan to edit the program and will post a short section.

The post processor, I have viewed it but plan to print a paper copy, maybe not all 15 pages but the areas that the terms I am not familiar with, so I can focus on the ares that will help the process and remove my guess work.

Many thanks!!

Attachments

• DNC4U 9PinTo25Pin Diagram Hardware.JPG
    DNC4U 9PinTo25Pin Diagram Hardware.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Bill (angelw), thanks! I received notice from the people at DNC One, that the cable is correct for their application, I may take that end off and put it on a DB25 as the other end, if my new parts delivery slips, but it works, so will wait for new plug or try the 25 pin cable.
This attached program is after the edit (removed line 4097 & line 4098) pic, I also added the "F 12." to line 4099, this "F12." I originally, edited to line 4097.

usolutions, thanks!! Also, all capitals in between the "()" were edited out. I plan to try this program later today.​

Many thanks, all suggestions welcomed!

Attachments

• LINE 97 & 98 REMOVED.png
    LINE 97 & 98 REMOVED.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 6
Bill (angelw), many thanks! The cable in question came with a DNC One that work ok to copy programs to/from controller, but would never "drip feed" I have returned it and send the pin out to them, and they may want the cable if it is not pined to their diagram. My new DB9 cable ends will ship in a few more days from what message I have received today.
I have 2 PC that have DNC4U on them, the original window 7 (upgraded to win 10) & a windows 10 (64 bit) with Bobcad, that I don't want in the shop long term, the win 7 PC is what I plan to use. The win 7 has never been able to communicate with the mill, not shore of the issue, so went back to win 10 PC, with cable as described. Both Dell PC have DB25 socket, so I had all the parts necessary for the 25 to 25 cable (as in attached diagram), with Hardware Handshake, but only tried on the win 7 PC. The attached diagrams are from information from DNC4U. I plan to edit the program and will post a short section.

The post processor, I have viewed it but plan to print a paper copy, maybe not all 15 pages but the areas that the terms I am not familiar with, so I can focus on the ares that will help the process and remove my guess work.

Many thanks!!
Modern ish pc with db25 is not for com, it is a parralel priter port, they can. Ot communicate with rs232 devices.

usolutions, thank you! Is there a board that is specially used for DB25 pin to DB25 pin cable? The PC is a Dell Optiplex GX520, (was a window 7 upgrade to win 10) desktop. I am wondering if what boards are available if any.​

Many thanks!!

Is there a board that is specially used for DB25 pin to DB25 pin cable? The PC is a Dell Optiplex GX520, (was a window 7 upgrade to win 10) desktop. I am wondering if what boards are available if any.
If the 25 pin connector on your PC is Female, as usolutions has mentioned, it will be a Parallel Port. Unless the PC has some age, it's unlikely that it will have a 25 pin Serial Port (Male). Often a PC will have at least one 9 pin Serial Port (Male) but Serial Ports on Lap Top Computers have been uncommon for quite a few years now. You can get USB to Serial adaptors, but only a handful work reliably. You can get add on Serial Cards for both PCs and Laptops, which will be more reliable than a USB to Serial adaptor.

Regards,

Bill

usolutions, & Bill (angelw), I am ever so grateful that you gentlemen pointed this out! Bless both of you!​

I doubt that I would have never discovered that the difference (and what I should have been looking for) was a Male DB 25 on the PC, and all I had was DB25 Male solder-on style to make cable. What I have been using as a reference was the diagram from dnc4u. The dnc4u diagram is post 22 at this link: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...dit-line-numbers-out-of-program.418130/page-2
The Female DB9 parts are still on order. Until the parts come in, I am using cable like in post 3 (above), yes I could take the end of this cable off, but plan to wait until the order is delivered.

Many, many thanks.​

Back