What's new
What's new

Niles camelback drill on Municibid

Looks like its from a wood shop..........I got a Jones & Shipman in the scrap,and its from a wood shop.....had a block of 12x4 bolted to the table.......wood gone,not a mark on the table.

Could be just a bent bit - The person writing up the bid description may not have known how to get the bit out of the taper to check it with another one.
Obviously, personal inspection is needed.

The machine is on castors and might well shake a bit even if there is nothing wrong?

I am guessing this drill press may have been badged by Niles, not made by them?

I don't know how the Niles operated, but there is a drill press on the Vintage Machinery website which has a similar Niles badge but is made by Prentice Brothers. Photo of badge attached.

The machine for sale has some similar Prentice Brothers features (e.g. the power feed cone pulley on the spindle and the back gear arrangement). Not sure about that though.

The power feed trip is an interesting design - it looks to be a slot (t-slot or v-slot?) running the length of the spindle housing.

The two-handled crank lying on the base is new to me. Maybe helpful if you had a heavy workpiece - otherwise it looks like a spare handle to clobber you with. It may be for the sliding head so a handle is still reachable when fully raised.

Niles badge drill built by Prentice Brothers 04.jpg Niles drill press 07.jpg

Last edited:
The wobbling but could just be worn spindle bearings.

I've seen the double-handle crank on shaper vises.

This drill is shown in the 1900 Niles catalog, which also lists the Boston location (not listed in the 1891 catalog).

Back