What's new
What's new

NMTB40 on Nichols vertical head?

OlCat

Aluminum
Hey Guys; I would like to know how to use NMTB40 on my Nichols mill. I am hoping that it is not a lot more than creating a new drawbar.
If anyone has pictures or descriptions of the process and would post them; it would make me very happy.
I would prefer to just find a 3/8” 4NS Collet, but I do have several NMTB40 tool holders that I could use in lieu of that.
Thanks for any input either way.
Bob

The vertical head takes NMTB-40 just like the main spindle. Any holder you want should slip right in, and if you didn't get a drawbar with yours (I didn't) it's easy to make one.

You mention an 4NS collet- the common trick with the Nichols vertical heads was a collet adapter that sits in the NMTB taper, and converts it to 4NS. That, as I understand it, bolts to the face of the spindle, using the "drive lug" bolt holes.

If you have such a thing, remove those bolts, knock the taper adapter out, slap in a 40 taper, go play.

Doc.

Thanks for the input guys; I shall remove the 4NS adapter, take some measurements and hopefully be back up and running.
Bob

Back