What's new
What's new

Noob can’t figure out how to wire motor...

This is awesome! Thanks man!

.....however, that may as well be in Chinese. I got all excited, looked at it closer, then realized how far gone my electrical brain is. I don’t even know what it is I need, but probably just something to the effect of T1 etc goes to ....
but again, I may have to go to a motor shop.
But if anyone can explain in a way that simplifies it a little more that would be great. If the diagram you posted is in fact simple...I’m screwed and I’ll be off to the motor shop:( but I’d like to try myself.
Thank you guys for you’re help. It’s very much appreciated. I’ve wanted a lathe like this forever

.....however, that may as well be in Chinese. I got all excited, looked at it closer, then realized how far gone my electrical brain is. I don’t even know what it is I need, but probably just something to the effect of T1 etc goes to ....
but again, I may have to go to a motor shop.
But if anyone can explain in a way that simplifies it a little more that would be great. If the diagram you posted is in fact simple...I’m screwed and I’ll be off to the motor shop:( but I’d like to try myself.
Thank you guys for you’re help. It’s very much appreciated. I’ve wanted a lathe like this forever

image.jpg
This is the only sticker of any sort other than the ones I posted

View attachment 301150
Oh, don’t know if this one go posted earlier. This is the main safety switch obviously..

That is common practice to use a 3 phase disconnect box used on a single phase wiring, I have seen it on older lathes and wood working machinery
I bought a vintage wood planer that a three phase box was used and the ground was run on the third leg with a fuse ??????

When I re-wired mine I had one too (safety switch) but I planned the new wires without it just to simplify things. I added a new circuit breaker later though. I had different gauge wires and different era wiring too! This made it confusing for me but probably wouldn't bother a real spark chaser.

When I re-wired mine I had one too (safety switch) but I planned the new wires without it just to simplify things. I added a new circuit breaker later though. I had different gauge wires and different era wiring too! This made it confusing for me but probably wouldn't bother a real spark chaser.
Yea this one is a 1942ish so much older wiring to figure out:( don’t wanna start just twisting wires together to see what works, for obvious reasons... but I’m not sure what else to do.

With the pics, we kind of need to determine if this lathe has a single phase or 3 phase motor.

Since you're asking, I will guess you are not set up for 3 phase.

If it does indeed have a 3 phase motor. You have a couple of choices. Change motor to a single phase. Or add a 3 phase convertor to your shop's single phase power supply.

It looks to be single phase.

Looks like the motor is missing the cover plate where the wires come out of it yeah? If that's the case I bet the diagram was on the inside of the cover. You can probably find a picture of the diagram online maybe even on ebay if you find a similar motor which there are a bunch. You could also call/email Baldor and give them your model number. It's hard to read the model number from the tag. Can you post the number or a better picture of tag?

What I would do is start by pulling all the old wires out of that disconnect box, we know that it is single phase 220 volts {by your photo's}use two legs of the three phase box, you need two hots and a ground leave the third lag vacant and pull the fuse out, now wire the cap in with texasgunshith post {drawings} and take some more photos...use 12 GA. new wire two black and a green...

I think he should start by identifying what power he has available and how he plans to get it to the lathe.

220v single phase?

Dryer outlet and cord?

Then he should re-evaluate the wires coming DIRECTLY out of his motor, not some power box, switch or fuses.

If it’s a 3-phase dual voltage 220/440 motor the it should have 6 or 7 wires NOT 5.

T1/t2/t3/t4/t5/t6 and possibly a ground.
A single phase 220v motor would only have 2 or 3 wires exiting the motor itself

I looked at your pictures again.

That motor you sent the picture of IS in fact a DUAL voltage 1 phase motor!.

You can run it off of 115v AND 230v!!!

No wiring changes needed.

I BET YOU 20$ If you put 115v from any outlet using an extension cord it’s going to spin up unless the motor is burnt out and If your motors bad then your screwed either way.

That motor is rated for 115v but that’s only half it’s HP output. So you’ll be on the weak side without a proper 230v from 2 hot lines 180’ apart.

That picture CLEARY says 115v/230v and gives the amp ratings for both.

OP do as I said the first time (SAFETY!!) and if you haven’t removed or changed any wiring!

Put 115v to it!

EDIT: I see the motor has been removed now. Ok so I did some research!

Looks like I got to load some pictures

As you can see in this pic that motor is 115v AND 230v. Common but not as common as a Only 220v motor.
EE8B6A2B-CAC8-46C4-B47A-757C1B3F629B.jpg

Here’s a old motor I worked on recently. One side of the tag says 110v
F94F2C00-9C5C-4ADE-BB62-60AEF24C1155.jpg

And the other side of the same tag says 220v
1DF56B98-461E-43B2-B2FF-F3073D73D973.jpg

That motor of mine only had 2 wires Coming from it and all you had to do was plug it into a 115v outlet or run two hot wires to it for 220v.

No wires to change

But I did find a 4 wire dual volt motor diagram too
6985E013-5678-4381-AEB7-8BAB15E57D22.jpg

Looks like you have 5 wires. One is a ground I would bet.

Clean the wires and try to read the number.

Hmm, that’s an interesting video although he doesn’t make it easy to understand IMO.

I’m no electrician, the last 115/230 motor I replaced only had 3 wires. 2 hots and a ground.

My motor guy told me i can hooK the 2 hots to a neutral and a 115v line For 115v OR 2 115v lines 180 degrees apart to get 230v. I didn’t need to rewire anything.

I ended up running it on single 115v and neutral. Ran great!

Quote " I didn’t need to rewire anything."

That is not how it works..to change voltage the wires inside the motor using the voltage diagram needs to be wired as per the diagram....

Quote "I BET YOU 20$ If you put 115v from any outlet using an extension cord it’s going to spin up unless the motor is burnt out and If your motors bad then your screwed either way."

All the evidence shows that his motor was running on 220 volts. I think you owe kindabentsouth $20.00

Last edited:

That is not how it works..to change voltage the wires inside the motor using the voltage diagram needs to be wired as per the diagram....

Quote "I BET YOU 20$ If you put 115v from any outlet using an extension cord it’s going to spin up unless the motor is burnt out and If your motors bad then your screwed either way."

All the evidence shows that his motor was running on 220 volts. I think you owe kindabentsouth $20.00

My motor guys are magic because multiple times they have gave me a single phase 120/240 motor with TWO wires and a green ground.

And every time I just hook it straight to 120 or 240 depending on what’s available. I’ve never had to rewire the motors for 120 or 240 before.

And he’s told me multiple times to not worry about changing anything for 120 or 240 and just hook it up!.

I wonder if I’ve just been very lucky

I BET YOU 20$ If you put 115v from any outlet using an extension cord it’s going to spin up unless the motor is burnt out and If your motors bad then your screwed either way.

That motor is rated for 115v but that’s only half it’s HP output. So you’ll be on the weak side without a proper 230v from 2 hot lines 180’ apart.

OP do as I said the first time (SAFETY!!) and if you haven’t removed or changed any wiring!

Put 115v to it!

As you can see in this pic that motor is 115v AND 230v. Common but not as common as a Only 220v motor.
View attachment 301250

View attachment 301251

View attachment 301252

That motor of mine only had 2 wires Coming from it and all you had to do was plug it into a 115v outlet or run two hot wires to it for 220v.

No wires to change

View attachment 301253

Sorry I have taken so long to get back. THANK YOU for your diagnosis! This is what I wanted to hear/see was some answers. Only supposed to have two or three wires huh? That’s crazy, these look like they are factory, being numbered consecutive and all?
Here’s a funny thing,I hooked it up backwards, neutral being used instead of red wire, and the only thing that worked was the 110 outlet that sits by the square d box?
Now I have it hooked up as another guy had told me may work on my other post. I parallel ran t5 and t8 with t3 and t4, and now the motor goes way to fast, but doesn’t smoke?
As they said in the other post, I’ll have to go to a machine shop... but thank you so much for this post man, I appreciate it

I’ve only ran it to 220v:)

Put 115v to it!

View attachment 301250

View attachment 301251

View attachment 301252

No wires to change

View attachment 301253

T1 T3 T4 T5 T8 are the numbers

Ready to scream.

Ok, I will take the motor and have it looked at, but what would help a lot more is someone to come by and give me a crash course on how to use this thing. Where would you find something /someone like that? I’ve been a carpenter for 20 years, but love metal. I would really like to figure this lathe out but the more I read the more my eyes go crossed. I’m a visual , hands on learner. I’m in the Bay Area in Commiefornia... what would you guys do if you were me?
I’ve got two lathes sitting here that don’t work because lack of a motor. A model A (194?) in great shape, and this heavy 10 ‘41? In ehh shape.

Should I just trade both for one working one or what? (Half kidding, half not)

Yes, I have ADHD...:)

Any help on what to do even if I get motor going correctly, would be greatly appreciated.

Back