What's new
What's new

(Not Deckel) Making a new cross leadscrew

jdm1

Aluminum
I will need a new leadscrew for the cross and possibly top slide of my lovely old Iathe. TR14x3 LH maybe 350 mm long.
I'm prepared to take both the easier way of an economical die, and/or single point threading.
1045 is pretty much the only material available to me.
Since I have never done anything thing like that before, I wanted to ask which method I should try first, with hopes of a good result without excessive fighting.

Last edited:
Almost impossible to get a true thread on something that long with a die.....
There are machines that can do this but the die is driven by a lead screw and guided to keep it aligned....
Baring that your only DYI that will produce something worth installing would be to single point the thread.....
However, you might consider buying a pre-made screw where you just have to configure the ends to fit your machine.

Cheers Ross

There are machines that can do this but the die is driven by a lead screw and guided to keep it aligned....
Like a lathe with the die in a custom tool holder. Surely many have tried that but I'm not much willing to join them.

McMaster doesn't have TR14x3 but Misumi does, plus too many others variant parameters, and they are global.

drw_01.gif
Not crazily priced at Euro 45+VAT for a 450mm screw.
On the other hand, if my goal is learning, single point is what I shall do. I suppose good use of the moving rest and light cuts is key.

Good as always, thanks Ross.

The screw extracted.
DSC_0341.JPG

I think I will part it where the diameter becomes larger, bore the latter 30mm deep and attach the new screw with a pin.
The Misumi configurator (which is pretty damn good) says that a suitable screw is Euro 32 before VAT and shipping. At this price it only makes sense to postpone my TR threading practice for another occasion,
The screw, as well motor bearings, etc could not be worked on without a press, here's the one I built (even if ready ones are very cheap), with the lathe in background - the mill vertical head is hanging there because I measured again the "interface" to see if fitting a Deckel slotting head is possible at all
DSC_0342.JPG

Incidentally the lathe does not use any taper pin, just straight ones everywhere, which I find a cheap practice. But the carriare is generously dimensioned, and has a lovely oiling port. You set set the knob in the correct (unmarked) position (spring ball detent and all), oil goes into a pocket which (via a wick probably) feeds another pocket in the apron. In the closed position you could squirt and squirt in the hole but then oil had no place to go, what they were thinking?

DSC_0343.JPG

The machine it's also a bit bare under various aspects, no contactor switches nor fuses, no thrust bearing on the leadscrew, no oil pump in the headstock and loss lubrications in the gearbox and carriage. Other Italian lathes of the same era are much better. But it has all the basics, no serious troubles, and I really like the way it look. Should work well for my purposes.

Last edited:

Back