What's new
What's new

Not for Sale asking advice

Rogue_Machinist

Hot Rolled
So I have a pair of a Starrett #123 24" Vernier Calipers. They are typically locked up in my rolling box. But I forgot to lock my box and a coworker used them and must have dropped them and broke off one of the "ID" measuring tabs. And then ground it to try to hide it. Is it worth it sending it to Starrett to get fixed or am I shit out of luck. And if I cant get them fix can I just remove the other ID ear and just use them as OD and have my shop replace them. They are aware of the situation and told me to try to get them fixed and they would pay.

At least your employer is doing the right thing, or something close to it. I'd just call Starrett. Either get them to say "No, replacing that part costs more than a new pair, and the part isn't available", or give you a quote for repair and calibration. I highly doubt anyone is going to weld a new ear on it, grind back to spec, etc.

For the price though, a digital set from either Starrett or Mitutoyo looks to cost less than the mechanical ones, so if they do need to be replaced I'd consider that unless you have an aversion to batteries (every 2 years or so on the Mits., I don't like Starrett digitals) or some other benefit you get from the verniers.

So I have a pair of a Starrett #123 24" Vernier Calipers. They are typically locked up in my rolling box. But I forgot to lock my box and a coworker used them and must have dropped them and broke off one of the "ID" measuring tabs. And then ground it to try to hide it. Is it worth it sending it to Starrett to get fixed or am I shit out of luck. And if I cant get them fix can I just remove the other ID ear and just use them as OD and have my shop replace them. They are aware of the situation and told me to try to get them fixed and they would pay.
I'd suggest that getting them fixed is a longshot, even IF it is only the moving jaw that has the tip broken off, and that the path of least resistance is going to be to order a suitable replacement on the Company dime.

Watch eBay and see if you can find another caliper and use the best parts to make a replacement. Then send it out for calibration if they do not check out.

It sucks when someone helps themselves to your tools, then will not say anything or do anything about making thing right. Good luck!

I have a 48" 123 Starrett Vernier caliper. The end is removable as it is pinned to the 48" scale. I checked with Starrett about a year ago, they will not fix or replace it. A few years ago the tip of my 6" 123 caliper was broken, returned it and the tips were removed and reground. Works but jaws are slightly shorter. I asked Starrett if they would sell me the end for the 48", they would not!

I have a 48" 123 Starrett Vernier caliper. The end is removable as it is pinned to the 48" scale. I checked with Starrett about a year ago, they will not fix or replace it. A few years ago the tip of my 6" 123 caliper was broken, returned it and the tips were removed and reground. Works but jaws are slightly shorter. I asked Starrett if they would sell me the end for the 48", they would not!
Thats not what I was hoping to hear. Well I guess I could just cut the other tip off and grind them and use and OD only caliper.

Watch eBay and see if you can find another caliper and use the best parts to make a replacement. Then send it out for calibration if they do not check out.

It sucks when someone helps themselves to your tools, then will not say anything or do anything about making thing right. Good luck!
Yes and a brand new set of these go for anywhere between $1600-$2400.

He really ground it to try and hide it? Your employer should see that as a red flag and punish him for that. Grinding a calibrated measuring tool could easily throw off measurements and scrap parts

Looked closer to $1200 new when I searched for a 123z yesterday.
Around $1k for digital equivalents.
I dont know if my company will spring for that. They are already pissed about someone damaging my personal calipers. And they knew they were ok on Tuesday because my shop foreman used them. And wednesday I was off. so it happened wednesday when I was off.

How about they take it out of rodent's pay in installments? He walks, solves the bigger problem.

We only locked our cabinets as a "signal". Nothing to opening a lock, anyway.

But honest folk would-not, even if NOT locked.

Emergency? Ring you and ask.... get a Supervisor to agree and oversee, putting the company formally on the line. Damage can happen to anybody. It's how you HANDLE it that counts.

"PS:" Company SHOULD BE either furnishing the metrology goods ANYWAY, else requiring it - rodent included - and standing the wear and tear replacement and calibration costs for each self-equipped-wizard on their payroll. Not a new situation.
The problem is we dont know who used them. I saw them Tuesday before quitting time, we only have one shift, and they were fine. My foreman has never once used a tool without asking for obvious reasons. So it wasnt him. There are only 2 other guys who would have used them and they both deny using them.

The problem is we dont know who used them. I saw them Tuesday before quitting time, we only have one shift, and they were fine. My foreman has never once used a tool without asking for obvious reasons. So it wasnt him. There are only 2 other guys who would have used them and they both deny using them.
It doesn't really matter who damaged it or what it costs. It was damaged on company time/business, and it sounds like the company has admitted this, even if they don't know how they did it. They should be thankful that you've been providing such an expensive tool paid for out of your pocket.
If they owned them they'd need to replace them, and then they would have paid for them twice. This way they only need to pay for them once.

You break it, you buy it. If it's acceptable to you, perhaps buying a used pair in equal or better condition AND having them sent out for calibration would save them some money, though likely not a ton and you might end up with a worn out tool.

I don't like getting up in a wad about things, but if someone blatantly damaged my property without owning up to it and making things right I'd be removing myself from the environment at my soonest convenience (IE as soon as I lined up another job).

I've accidentally broken or otherwise ruined more than my fair share of tools borrowed or otherwise in my care over the years. All of those people/entities are willing to loan to me again because I made sure they were whole before I was done. Sometimes things were repaired and returned cleaner than new, others they were replaced with an equal or better item of their choosing. The only question that ever came up was if I needed to do both (a quick repair because it was needed ASAP and an eventual replacement to make it right long term).

It doesn't really matter who damaged it or what it costs. It was damaged on company time/business, and it sounds like the company has admitted this, even if they don't know how they did it. They should be thankful that you've been providing such an expensive tool paid for out of your pocket.
If they owned them they'd need to replace them, and then they would have paid for them twice. This way they only need to pay for them once.

You break it, you buy it. If it's acceptable to you, perhaps buying a used pair in equal or better condition AND having them sent out for calibration would save them some money, though likely not a ton and you might end up with a worn out tool.

I don't like getting up in a wad about things, but if someone blatantly damaged my property without owning up to it and making things right I'd be removing myself from the environment at my soonest convenience (IE as soon as I lined up another job).

I've accidentally broken or otherwise ruined more than my fair share of tools borrowed or otherwise in my care over the years. All of those people/entities are willing to loan to me again because I made sure they were whole before I was done. Sometimes things were repaired and returned cleaner than new, others they were replaced with an equal or better item of their choosing. The only question that ever came up was if I needed to do both (a quick repair because it was needed ASAP and an eventual replacement to make it right long term).
I agree with removing myself from the situation. But also I really really enjoy working here. The flexibility I have with my schedule and what not is unmatched in my area. And The days off per year are also more than most. But these were from my uncle when I graduated from Machining School in Vo Tech when I was 18. And they have been in pristine condition for 21 years and then this. Just bothers me. But also the place doesnt really do well in buying tools. They would rather "make something work" then buy proper tooling. Because often times its just too expensive to buy a tool for one job. We are a Job Shop mainly and a Prototype shop second. We have certain customers we will do small production runs for. But mostly its 2 to 3 part prototype runs or fixing shafts for local farmer or bakeries.

I worked in a production shop and hated my life. But also know those places buy tooling. Ive purchased so many of my own tools for this shop because I got tired of asking them to buy them. I bought my own Thru coolant spade drill. Because I was tired of asking for them to buy me one. It didnt work out the way I liked it to so they bought it from me for a different purpose. But still $500 of my own money to make a job easier and faster for me and the shop. If I had the funds I would open my own shop and and do things the proper way instead of hodge podge like I am now.

If the job is good enough that you’re willing to let it destroy a $1000 family treasure here and there that’s ok too, so long as you’re being honest with yourself about it.

My last job required me to spend a year living in a different state than my wife, home, and pets, and occasionally dealing with some really stupid BS at work. That said, they absolutely made it worth it. All things I wouldn’t have accepted in other circumstances. We (my wife and I) went in eyes open, and accepted those sacrifices for the benefits it gave us.

It sounds like you might have enough reasons to put up with it. All fair so long as it’s a conscious decision for your risk/reward/resource situation.

If the job is good enough that you’re willing to let it destroy a $1000 family treasure here and there that’s ok too, so long as you’re being honest with yourself about it.

My last job required me to spend a year living in a different state than my wife, home, and pets, and occasionally dealing with some really stupid BS at work. That said, they absolutely made it worth it. All things I wouldn’t have accepted in other circumstances. We (my wife and I) went in eyes open, and accepted those sacrifices for the benefits it gave us.

It sounds like you might have enough reasons to put up with it. All fair so long as it’s a conscious decision for your risk/reward/resource situation.
Yes and no. The pay isnt the best. But its still very good for my region. And Im sort of my own boss. I program, make and QC my own parts. I order my own material and do my own prototyping with a sample being sent for approval by the end user. But do I wish I made a bit more money, absolutely. But. Again there are a lot of plusses.

Back