What's new
What's new

Now Ive done it. Mycenter 2 !!

tomp

Cast Iron
Always the glutton for punishment Ive aquired a 97 Kitamura Mycenter2x.

Looks like it was never used with a pallet changer. Fairly low cutting hours if the control is to be
believed. On time is high however.
10k spindle and Yasnac I80 with high speed option board.
But the manual is terrible compared to the old Deckel manuals.
Does not show exactly where oil tanks are!
It appears to have four:
1) Cylindrical one up high next to spindle motor. What is this? Spindle lube or cooling oil?
The sight glass on right side of head is very low.
2) Air oil mister with red oil in it. Made by Vogel
3) Central way lube pump
4) Hydralic pressure pump (I think)

The machine blows air from the spindle area continuously. I suspect it was relay controlled but bypassed to help ensure spindle is misted more.
Between that and the spindle turbo blower I need some acoustic wall panels.

I have a 2003 5X with a fanuc, but there's probably some similarities. The headstock oil is to pressure lube the gearbox if it has one or just cool the spindle cartridge if it's direct drive. This oil should be same as spindle oil (velocite 6) so if it leaks into the spindle it won't harm anything.

The spindle air oiler should be filled with velocite 6. It should not be red. Sounds like someone thought ATF was a good spindle oil.

Lube pump probably runs on Vactra 2 and hydros will be happy with any 32 fluid.

Yes, they consume some air. Mine shuts off the spindle air when the machine is idle. touch an axis or start the spindle and the air comes back on.

I get the impression Kitamura did not give two shits if your machine could sit around doing nothing efficiently. Running at 100% rapids and 10K RPM it's in it's zone. You bought the wrong machine to drive miss Daisy.

Ok good. I assumed the machine should not be using much air just sitting with servos off.

Aside from this mister and belt cooling air is there a third air supply?
The book is a little hard to understand at this point.

Last edited:
On my machine, the only air usage is for the spindle and possibly the ball screw nuts. There are 3 separate lines that don't go to the spindle but look like they go to the nuts. I haven't traced them from start to finish but the plastic lines with braided covers seem to only be used after the air/oil unit. Mine is 15k direct drive and uses around 8cfm.

I have no idea what you mean by belt cooling or spindle turbo blower? It is easy to reset the timers so I wouldn't put any trust in them. You should do a happy dance that you have the high speed machining card, it is magic. You turn it on and no more servo lag but it doesn't affect the cycle time at all, I sure wish my new Brother had one!

I would be changing that spindle oil out for Velocite #6 immediately.

Yes, that card was the main reason I purchased such a dirty machine.
Old coolant everywhere.

After some cleanup and parameter backup I check the leak. Its definitely from the air mist system. This mister has the so call mixing valve on the spindle housing.
The mister supply line loops near a three bolt spot on rear of column then back to the mister box. There is also a two prong cable dangling nearby. Possibly spindle air solinoid was bypassed to keep mister primed??

Also I found a broken plastic line on top of spindle while cleaning. It looks like a air cylinder but the line goes to the hydraulic tank drainback.

I cannot find this cylinder or line in the manuals that came with the machine. Very curious.

Ill try posting picture of it tomorrow.

Ive been cleaning up and inspecting this machine as time permits. I found the major source of air consumption to be a split air line at the mixing valve located in side of spindle housing. It was so brittle it cracked when I moved it.

The other source of leaks are the valve body on rear of column. I suspect orings between the sections.

I also have an embarrassing question, Where the heck do you fill the spindle cooling oil? There are two sight glasses on side of spindle. small pump up top and the chiller. I don't see a fill port around any of those.

Attachments

• mycenter-airline.jpg
    mycenter-airline.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 25
That is the fill hole on both of the 2x's we have here.
The factory plug is made of plastic and crumbles into pieces over the years.
The small cap plug of a 55 gallon barrel fits perfectly.

Thanks for the info!!!
I figured out what I was looking at was what was left of the plug that had broken off but had no idea the 55gal vent plug would fit.

Having a kitamura mycenter 2x 1997 with yasnac I80M controler i loste all paramaetres including offset,macro.common and aux2 data.
Anyone can help ill be soooooo thankful.

I have the same issue .
Being proactive I was going to replace the batteries in my 94 My4 Yasnac I80
Followed the Manuel instructions ...

Now my controller starts up step 1
and scrolls continuously....I hope to have tech in next week to get started
re-entering the parameters ...I think?
Does yours do the same on startup?
I have no idea what happened.

I have the same issue .
Being proactive I was going to replace the batteries in my 94 My4 Yasnac I80
Followed the Manuel instructions ...

Now my controller starts up step 1
and scrolls continuously....I hope to have tech in next week to get started
re-entering the parameters ...I think?
Does yours do the same on startup?
I have no idea what happened.
I enter all parameters in the machine book but the axis wont move in auto mode.there’s a special program O8000 to O9999 they’re necessary to run the machine.
Share pics and videos so many i help u

All I have in that range are these below. I may need to revisit the backup procedure I used:

N8431 X -150
N8432 X -150
N8433 X -150
N8471 X 150
N8472 X 150
N8481 X 3000
N8482 X 2500
N8501 X 150
N8502 X 150
N8511 X 3000
N8512 X 2500

The Manuel stated turn off controller before replacing batteries..WRONG.
The tech guy says always leave on Fanuc or Yasnac..

I will be into this fix for about 1000.00 plus downtime. I had this machine lasered
years back about 3k...all gone.

I do have copys of the factory parameter settings ,but the Laser settings are dust.
and spindle orientation needs adjustment.

If your unable to download your settings TAKE PICTURES scroll thru
the pages and put the pictures on a thumb drive..damit

And why I wasn't supplied the settings from lasering is beyond me ..
SMH ......the things we learn from our fkps..
Merry fking xmas

Having a kitamura mycenter 2x 1997 with yasnac I80M controler i loste all paramaetres including offset,macro.common and aux2 data.
Anyone can help ill be soooooo thankful.
Were you able to get a parameter set? PM me if you want to try the ones I have saved. No macros apparently were store on mine.

The Manuel stated turn off controller before replacing batteries..WRONG.
The tech guy says always leave on Fanuc or Yasnac..

I will be into this fix for about 1000.00 plus downtime. I had this machine lasered
years back about 3k...all gone.

I do have copys of the factory parameter settings ,but the Laser settings are dust.
and spindle orientation needs adjustment.

If your unable to download your settings TAKE PICTURES scroll thru
the pages and put the pictures on a thumb drive..damit

And why I wasn't supplied the settings from lasering is beyond me ..
SMH ......the things we learn from our fkps..
Merry fking xmas
My pitch errors are cleared as well. Odd unless the screws were replaced and never re-calibrated.

To other mycenter2x owners a couple of questions.
1) My Z head balance is a single balance cylinder which is fed from the hydraulic complex.
It does not have two air cylinders like the drawing.
2) Any tips on removing the X ball screw? Have not done this before but is noisy and has 4-5 tenths slop
so will need refreshing.
3) If this turns out to be thrust bearings where is a good source for replacements?

Back