What's new
What's new

o/t Anybody makeing a good pocket knife?

Seriously, the average china kitchen may have one for decoration but no one uses it. You can't cut down rubber trees, hit the garlic on the side to smash it, wack through bones, slice vegetables with some pansy-ass little knife. You need a real cutting tool.
Heh, I have two Chinese-style cleavers, and probably both were made in China for export. One is thin for shredding vegetables or thinly slicing whatever. The other is about 1/4" thick at the spine with a stouter edge angle, for butchering, hacking through bone, etc. But what I use 96% of the time is a 35-year old 9" chefs knife. 3% of the time it's an equally old Fiskars serrated bread knife. And most of the remaining 1% is a 2.5" paring knife for when the 9" knife is just too cumbersome. I cut, pierce, trim, chop, smash, scrape and transfer with that 9" knife.

I have knives I bought ten years ago, use daily, and still are sharp enough to push-cut printer paper. Are they some exotic (and phony) “Damascus” steel with dinosaur bone scales? Nope. Common relatively cheap carbon steel blades. The “secret” ingredients are a piece of 1500 grit Si-Carbide paper and a piece of masonite with polishing compound on one side and rouge on the other. Every day or two I take a few swipes at the blades. I chuckle at the ads for some “super-steel” kitchen knife that will open #10 cans and slice cleanly through a silk scarf floating on a puff of air—for only $499 if you act now…

Denis

I have knives I bought ten years ago, use daily, and still are sharp enough to push-cut printer paper. Are they some exotic (and phony) “Damascus” steel with dinosaur bone scales? Nope. Common relatively cheap carbon steel blades. The “secret” ingredients are a piece of 1500 grit Si-Carbide paper and a piece of masonite with polishing compound on one side and rouge on the other. Every day or two I take a few swipes at the blades. I chuckle at the ads for some “super-steel” kitchen knife that will open #10 cans and slice cleanly through a silk scarf floating on a puff of air—for only $499 if you act now…

Denis
They'll also take 10% off your order if you sell some to 50 friends. Fast way to make money! There's a guy who bought a Camero doing this you know!

Those are fun to sharpen, but they sure work better if you do...
Fortunately, this particular serrated knife has wavy serrations with about a 1/2" pitch, not those nasty sawtooth serrations at 8 or 10 TPI. Very easy to sharpen with a small round ceramic stone, like those you can get from Spyderco.

Nice racket if you can swing it. They paid for a frickin' Kern selling pocket knives...

A lot of these "successful" online machining guys aren't totally forthright. How so? Because they're not honest about how much (free) sponsor equipment and tooling they get, and how much they're making from YouTube.

If you have a YT channel with tens-of-thousands of subscribers, and upload content regularly, it's a profitable racket.

YouTubers with hundreds-of-thousands (or more) subscribers can be getting 5 and 6-figure payouts PER MONTH.

So we really don't know how much money the Titans and the Grimsmos and the Saunders of the online world are making actually cutting metal.

ToolCat

Last edited:
A lot of these "successful" online machining guys aren't totally forthright. How so? Because they're not honest about how much (free) sponsor equipment and tooling they get, and how much they're making from YouTube.

If you have a YT channel with tens-of-thousands of subscribers, and upload content regularly, it's a profitable racket.

YouTubers with hundreds-of-thousands (or more) subscribers can be getting 5 and 6-figure payouts PER MONTH.

So we really don't know how much money the Titans and the Grimsmos and the Saunders of the online world are making actually cutting metal.

ToolCat
I thought it was 1 million subscribers could get to $10k ish in possoble income. I think you are pretty far off the mark on this.

I thought it was 1 million subscribers could get to $10k ish in possoble income. I think you are pretty far off the mark on this.

Monetization depends on a number of factors, what ads you run, how many people click on the ads vs skip them, how many people like/subscribe/comment compared to just watch and close, etc. The advertisers like to see more engagement, that means their ads are more likely to be interacted with and therefore more likely to make a sale and the pay rate for the channel goes up accordingly.

Must be for export because we don't use knives. Seriously, the average china kitchen may have one for decoration but no one uses it. You can't cut down rubber trees, hit the garlic on the side to smash it, wack through bones, slice vegetables with some pansy-ass little knife. You need a real cutting tool.

She's good - despite all the showing off, she didn't get a single stain on her blouse.

I recall eating in a Chinese Restaurant in Philadelphia in the 1970s. Where I was sitting, I could see into the kitchen, and there was no door. A middle-aged woman was cooking. I watched her disassemble a Lobster using only a pair of chopsticks. It was very smooth and fast - the Lobster just fell apart, and the chopsticks were a blur. Probably not her first rodeo.

(Making the Designer ones is kind of interesting, they take old bearings, chop them in half, heat them up red, unwind them with a power hammer, beat them to shape, laser or plasma cut the profile, hand grind and heat treat, make handles, it's a funny combination of primitive and modern. Gives the villagers a way to make money.)

Can't let perfectly good alloy steel go to waste.

Can't let perfectly good alloy steel go to waste.

How they make them is kind of fun - have to admit I'm a sucker for getting steel red-hot then bashing on it - and it's kind of neat that people back in the village can do this with fairly primitive equipment to make some money, the end product is .... I dunno, I like the antiquey aspect of it better than a modern rolled-sheet product. And 52100, not so bad for a chopper ...

how it's used - you can tell real china food from the stuff they serve in the US instantly, there's no "cutting the meat off the bones" in an actual china dish :)

definitely a multi-purpose tool, used for everything from persuading people to repay a loan

tong_hatchet.jpg

to decorative slicing ...

Back