What's new
What's new

o/t Anybody makeing a good pocket knife?

Everywhere. I don't wander aimlessly looking for it. It's right here....

Sometimes I need to see how good of a time I'm having. ;)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My colleague and I were in California on 9/11/2001. We live in PA, near Delaware. All flights cancelled. Our buddies decided to rent a car to get back - a cross country drive. Bob and I waited, and were on the first commercial transcontinental flight Eastbound that Friday am. All the security, it was nuts. My buddy walked right on with the pocket knife he'd owned for 20 years! Alas, TSA got it on a later flight. And we arrived home a few hours before our friends did!

The OP asked about made in the US knives, and folks have responded with Boker, and knives from the Savoie. So I feel confident that my reply, pointing out the Case XX-Changer (which is made in the US) has given me good service, is in order. Not really a pocket knife, but it does fold and it has exchangeable blades.

CA-137.gif

This isn't what you asked for, but I really like a folding utility knife like this. Because the blade is cheap and replaceable anywhere I have no qualms about getting ugly with it. Plus it's easy to open with one hand.

tylertool_2131_113125383

A good pocket knife

The OP asked about made in the US knives, and folks have responded with Boker, and knives from the Savoie.

With due respect, the country of origin was NOT part of the question.
I replied with details of a knife which has been made in vast quantities for more than a century. It was chosen by the Victoria and Albert museum- which has been hanging around for a while. Indeed, the humble Opinel is a classic.

Sorry, you did not understand the French pun about the Savoie.

N

Last edited:
I'm with Ox on the Swiss Army. I faithfully carried a Buck Stockman for so long the bolsters wore down so the pins were about .005 proud. My parents gave me a Swiss Army as a present, so I felt I had to carry it for a little while. It didn't take long to fall in love with it. This was before the Leatherman all on one concept took off.

I use the screwdriver as often than a knife, and the sissors are very handy also. You just about have to look them up to see which gadgets you want. I have a couple of knife blades, sissors, regular and phillips screwdrivers. And a package hook, which I never remember when I could use it.

They last 2 or 3 years before the cheap plastic side plates fall off, but they are usually shot by then. The pins loosen from prying and the blades develop nicks. Its a tool, not a heirloom. I flat use them up. But in the bang for the buck department, my pocketknife is one of the best tools I have.

The OP asked about made in the US knives, and folks have responded with Boker, and knives from the Savoie.
With due respect, the country of origin was NOT part of the question.

Norman, while literally your statement is wrong, practically you are correct. In read-reading the OP's note, he did express his disdain for one country of origin, and in so doing, he DID refer to a country of origin. But that's splitting hairs. He did not specify a US-made knife.

N
Me, too. I don't speak French, but I'm sure your pun was tout à fait hilare. Then again, I don't understand most of your puns and historical references when you write in English, so there you are. I apologize for my lack of penetration.

If I see an Opinel I will check it out. I stand behind my recommendation of the Case knife. But you are correct: it's not as cheap as an Opinel.

J

The Boker Tree brand I have WAS MADE IN THE USA... that is if northern New Jersey qualifies..
This was mid to late 1960's ... I was installing a new Cincinnati Milling machine they use to make the things... and they gave me a box full of what they made.

Hmmm. I live near Philly. I'm not sure, either! :D But I'd love a Boker: I hear that they are quite good. Thought they were German.
I lived in Paoli at the time and I think they may have been German, but they did make them in that NJ shop... why else would they have a factory full of Cincinnati Milling Machines... ( this was before they changed the company name)

I did leave mine at home when I knew that I was flying home from Fla a few yrs ago. I couldn't agree more - felt like nakedness. ... and helplessness when/if I needed one during the trip.

Just put it in your checked baggage. That's what I do when I fly. Yeah, it could disappear. But so far it hasn't.

Roger

Bosley,

Maybe jacknife in French would be Jacques Couteau. I wonder if you can use one underwater?

Regard

Norm

Norm,

Ok, with the help of the Professor, I get this later pun. Thanks.

But you still are going to have to help me with Savoie. Perhaps for other monolingual folks (especially here in the States), as well. In English, Savoy. In reality a bit of land that the French and Italians have been fighting over for many hundreds of years. In the French pun, the relationship is with pocket knives is???? I know that explaining a pun kind of kills it, just curious.

Warm regards.

Jim

knife

Boy! I sure opened a can of worms, I spend a lot of my vacation time in Wyoming, And just can't picture myself pulling out one of those French Mushroom pickers.
I was helping my rancher buddy doctor up a ewe; that was wire cut, He asked me if I had a knife, I whipped out my trusty Buck Stockman, To prepare for surgery.
When old EARL was done, He glared at me, and said "Don't you ever hand me a dull knife again" He was about 85 at the time, and I thought he wanted to kick my butt.
I think I'm going to stick with "good ole American" No matter how bad they are.
Seems like all the knives I've been looking at, More time is spent on Cosmetics, Than the quality of steel. I'm looking for a tool, not glitter. I'll look into a Case. DAVE [ACME THREAD]

Just put it in your checked baggage. That's what I do when I fly. Yeah, it could disappear. But so far it hasn't.

Roger

I didn't have any on that trip. But good to know that it will get through that way. Not that I have any intentions of flying in the next decade... :Yawn:

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A pocket knife

Savoie and the Haute Savoie are part of what was the House of Savoy.
So we lumber on to the Ducs of Savoy( yes) and to the - OMG- Savoy cabbage!
Isere( oh, yes, it's the river where Opinels are made- St Jean de Maurienne) a pun or three on Savoy? Savvy? Well that comes from the Fench irregular verb-- Savoir- 'to understand or know'

I could go on-- and I have! You did ask.

OK, confessions are good for the soul. I am actually a 'Savoyard' because I have property in the Savoie. It's called 'Les Arcs' which is hyperbole or 'pulling the longbow'

A further admission! My dear wife and son speak fluid French- sorry, and the puns fly from toutes directions.

A bientot, mon brave!

Norm

Back