What's new
What's new

o/t Anybody makeing a good pocket knife?

Knives

So do I, after a few bottles of Burgundy:)

As the Burgundy seeps in, Acme Thread need heed the nicks in the shepherd's crook and the words 'Yan, Tyan, Teherea, Methera, Pimp, Sethera, Lethera, Hovera, Divera, Dick' and so on come to mind.
It is how my forebears counted the sheep on the Cumbrian hillside. People forget that the Brits are like the French- originally sheep farmers- and counted even in my time that strange way. It's English as sheep in French are 'mouton'. Down in the Jaws of Borrodale are the roche moutonne where the glaciers have cut like giant knives into the rock.

I live- would you believe- on much younger farm- it's only AngloSaxon!

It's all called history, I think.

Cheers

Norm

I have been carrying a simpler version of this knife since 1997. Mine has carbon fiber full scales with titanium liner and ATS-34 Japanese SS blade. Made in Oregon. Super high quality and you pay for it.
b12-tbpb3.jpg

Just because... pocket knives.

I carry a folding knife with a sharp blade and a fid all winter as part of patrol kit. I work with poly rope everyday, and a fid is very useful.

In summer, I carry a two blade folding knife with the second blade a flat head screw driver.
(some call them :electricians knives)
That blade answers for almost every need around house shop and yard that isn't just cutting.

I gotta say...I never have felt much use for a knife, certainly not enough to carry one around. There's almost always a better tool for the job*.

*I suppose skinning a buck or running a trot line might be best done with a knife but I will admit, I have done neither, ever.

I gotta say...I never have felt much use for a knife, certainly not enough to carry one around.

There's a swiss army that is little. I mean little, but just big enough to be stolen by TSA at airports. Very thin, only one blade, fingernail file, and scissors but oh so useful and doesn't make a lumpy bulge in your pocket. Is that a pickle ?

Anyway, if you get one of those ? May find yourself carrying a pocket knife. They really are useful. Many 'antique' stores will have one for $5 or $6 ....

I will point out the nearly 13 year old necropost, just because. Still a valid discussion and interesting to see what others' views are.

I have carried a single blade folder with me almost every day I haven't been travelling via an airport for the better part of 38 years (beginning in high school). Yes, there is almost always a better tool for the job, but a decent knife will get by for many things (including opening the plastic packaging so many things now come in). I rotate through my favorites, currently a 1990's Sogwinder.

I have had a Case knife for years and just bought a new one 5 months ago. Two blade and still made in the USA (at least that is what is on the blade. Holds a edge very well.

I have had a Case knife for years

Ja, this thread is really for you guys. But for me, and maybe GregSY, if you hate that lump that interferes with your pocket pool, the little swiss army doesn't get in the way. In fact, sometimes you forget you have a knife. Also has a tiny almost-useless flashlight, but if you get lost in the caves with Becky, it's better than nothing.

Gerber LST (not the micro one) has been my daily carry for well over 35 years. I have been through at least three and that's not counting a couple I've "lost" at airports. Opening parcels, scraping off stickers/labels, some light-duty prying and opening, those are my utility tasks for an EDC pocket knife.

Last edited:
I have had a ProTech Godson in my pocket for a dog's age. Love that knife, take it everywhere I go. I'm never without it unless I need to be, due to being somewhere like a government office building, where they're afraid of even sharp sticks. I've ground the blade to a thinner section width behind the bevel, maybe .010" or so. Great knife now.

I've got a few Swiss army and Case knives, and a Ken Onion, a Benchmade or two, etc. And I carry those now and again. But my true blue is that ProTech.

Pocket knife, handkerchief, wallet, and keys -- always in my pockets, whether I'm wearing jeans or a suit and tie. Just habit, I guess. My latest is a small, 2-bladed Puma that I've carried for almost 30 years. Before that was a well-worn Case, and before that another Case that was lost. And before that a plastic-handled Boy Scout knife.

I have others, including a Swiss Army knife, that I carry occasionally, but the Puma is almost always in my pocket. The stag handle is getting pretty smooth, and the main blade is down to the etched lettering.

I've carried a William Henry single-blade knife for about twenty years. Blade is some kind of stainless steel, far better than 440C. Liner lock mechanism. Scales are carbon fiber (has enough friction to not slip out of the pocket). No decoration. Original cost was US $150.

WH is all fancy art knives now, and cost thousands now. The following ($395) is the closest to what I bought back in the day:

https://www.williamhenry.com/a200-3b.html

The TSA Forbidden and Permitted list now allows many things previously forbidden, but no sharp knives, alas. They do allow small tools.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Spiderco makes some nice knives, many of them in CO, USA, in the $120-$200 or so range. I happen to carry a Native 5 lockback with carbon fiber sides, deep carry clip. It has a fairly hefty blade, but not too long. Probably legal in most places.

I know that this is a zombie thread that's about 13 years old, with some now-gone-but-not-forgotten members (thinking of norm) but I will point out that in my experience one tends to lose knives before one wears them out. Case in point (two puns there, in memory of Mr. Atkinson), a few years ago when I could still run 6 miles, I found a Swiss Army knife on the road. Aluminum scales. Damaged either from falling from a car or bike and being run over. Took it home, opened up the squashed parts, and it's perfectly serviceable as a cutting tool. Less so as a presentation gift. Its pretty rough. But when the original owner dropped it, it was likely far from worn out or broken.
It looks like this, only lots worse:
swissarmy.png
The think lists for $46 these days, so I probably wouldn't buy one for myself.

Back