What's new
What's new

O.T.~ Full Floating type axle quest.

why "Save from the crusher" ?
If that axle is pooched (and having been rewelded) how much other stuff is wrong with the machine as well ?

If you got the time, desire, and talent to keep the old bones going, why not save it from the crusher? Some people enjoy the challenge. In the end he still has equity to trade, sell, etc. if it does not suit his purpose.

Well, we don't know what model you have but Hough had a planetary axle in 1955 for the larger models , at least. It appears that you are fucking around with a 60+ year old POS, not to preserve history but to make money. Give it up.

It's this one.

..3.jpg

This is the drive axle, and a replacement at that.

When you infer that I'm doing this, "not to preserve history, but to make money", it makes me giggle.

No money to be made, here, and fuck history preservation...I'm doing this to get this 60+ y.o. POS going so I can use it outside to lift heavy shit.

It will be great to get it going and have people like you saying "look at that death trap..."

No new paint, no external improvements, no nothing... just like it came out of the junkpile...just like I like 'em.

I've got an early 50's I.H. 300 Utility tractor. Runs like a top, but looks like it's a candidate for the salvage yard. It lives under a lean to, out of the sun... has moss and lichen growing on it! Looks like it's spent it's entire life setting out in a hedgerow....

Buddy of mine is an I.H. fanatic. He's bought a few of them of the same era. Went all out and cleaned and painted them to make them look new and was always on me "why don't you paint that s.o.b.?"

I tell him I have no interest in making it look good, I just want it to start every time I get on it... "chrome don't get you home", as they say in the chopper world.

Thankfully, a member here has offered to let me come to his place and check a few old Chevie's he's got to see if the axles will match!

Oh, and someone asked "could he use a semi-floating axle instead?".

No, whole different animal.

Hi JoeE,

keep up the playing with the Hough. I have an old H50 that I got for $100 and am fixing up. Who cares if isn't a modern machine. Nobody would be giving you grief for making a model steam engine or watching football or some other pointless but entertaining thing.

BTW - I do have the paper parts and operators manuals for my H50. If you have an H50 and need any of that information, let me know and I can scan select pages.

-Jim

I asked my brother why he hasnt painted his old tractor......"Every tractor round here thats painted to look nice gets stolen.....I'd rather have a rusty one I can leave out in the back ."

Back