What's new
What's new

O/T - Ordering from an Alibaba supplier?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Before you "freak out" it's for glass trophies for another hobby I'm involved in, I would like to support the local supplier but he always leaves things to the very last minute and I can't deal with that anymore.

Got a quote from what looks like a legit supplier and have ordered a sample, anything to look out for when we place the order? It's not a lot of money (~ $2K) but it's for our club and funds are tight. I see they have "Trade Assurance" ordering, any experience with that?

Any issues with customs clearance?

Only thing I have bought is a 100w fibre laser from Alibaba, had trade assurance, and they were a long time vendor on there with good rating. I had a few issues with the software, not liking my computer, and the sales person was quick to handle it and get me up and running. Everything shipped as they said it would. I had to pay a deposit, then the remainder. I did it all through Alibaba, no money sent direct to the other business.

Had the usual bad english instructions to sort through on my own but I expected that.

I've bought stuff off there, never had a bad experience. As long as you understand what you are giving up for the low price it's fine (limited support, difficult to make returns).

My understanding is that the platform clamps down hard on sellers, because any fraud would ruin the market.

Thanks guys, the vendor has been very easy to deal with, we are ordering a sample with trade assurance.

They're laser etching some glass trophies on the inside for our model boat club, dunno how that's possible but very cool.

Attachments

• 2d laser example.jpg
    2d laser example.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 36
Thanks guys, the vendor has been very easy to deal with, we are ordering a sample with trade assurance.

They're laser etching some glass trophies on the inside for our model boat club, dunno how that's possible but very cool.

If I understand it correctly, the laser is collimated so that the light beam comes to a point somewhere inside the glass. Everywhere other than that point it is just a flashlight, but right where it's focused is the proverbial ant under the magnifying glass. Then they move it around a bunch and you get lots of points of disturbed glass which makes a frosty look in your specified pattern.

Just to update this old thread, we got our order and it all went very well. I'm quite impressed actually.

Got a few samples cheap, a little back and forth, added to the order and they were very easy to deal with. Language was not an issue.

I hate to say it, and I'm sure I'll get flak here for it, but we could learn from them.

Trophy sample.jpg 20230605_174917.jpg

Last edited:

Back