What's new
What's new

Odd Hardinge Lathe

Mickey_D

Stainless
This Hardinge lathe popped up on Facebook Marketplace and I have never seen one like it. Anyone have any ideas? I am not interested in it other than what is it (presently have an early HLV-BK, an HLV-H inch, and an inch/metric import so don't need any more for my collection, or do I?).

other strange.jpg

It's a Hardinge TL lathe. Precursor to the HLV, which was a precursor to the HLV-H.

I'm certain Larry Vanice will be along soon to provide the exact details. He is a vast storehouse of Hardinge knowledge. Meanwhile, have a look HERE.

Last edited:
I just looked it up on Tony's site - never seen one before. I have enough machinery headaches right now so I am going to pass. Shows to be in Pasadena if anyone wants to go look at it and add one to their collection. Presently listed for $3150 OBO. BTY, no relation to the seller.

He just responded that it is a model HC serial number 2122.
That is not what is in the picture in post #1. An early HC chucker is a very different machine and would not be worth much.

I have looked at two TL's in the past. The first was in a Detroit dealer and came from a defunct airline. It was worn too much to pay their price. A second one was in my city, but someone had used a disc grinder to make it into a gap bed, too ugly to consider buying. I have a TL steady rest and a TL tailstock, both unique to that model, but work fine on my ESM/TR and Cataract 9" lathes. The steady is hinged and the tailstock has a base with lateral adjustment where the more common ones are solid.

Larry

Wait for Bill Todd in the UK. He knows a bunch of information.

I like the height off the chip pan. Higher than a HLV or HLV-H.

Here are a few pictures of my T-10 or may be TL, not sure of the differences; built around Aug. 1943.
The 600vac motor was replaced by a 180vdc-1hp, and a control box. This lathe has a backgear, last picture showing gears and engage lever.

Attachments

• _DSC1575.JPG
    _DSC1575.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC1582.JPG
    _DSC1582.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC1629.JPG
    _DSC1629.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 15
  • T-10 sn.JPG
    T-10 sn.JPG