What's new
What's new

Off. Topic: Compression socks vs tight socks

Bill D

Diamond
OT: My wife thinks I should wear compression socks for a while after my hip replacement. So what makes them $15 a pair when I could buy a pair of socks one size too small and get the same effect?
Also compression socks do not use sock size. they just use some invented sm,lg, xl ,xxl sizes. Never seen medium for compression socks. I assume based on average size in China not North America. I do understand sock size is 2 numbers larger then shoe size. So a size 12 foot needs a size 14 sock. I think shoe size was invented for the civil war?
Bill D

I recently had a quad bypass, part of which was removal of the vein in my left leg from groin to ankle, my leg is now slightly swollen as blood can’t drain from the calf muscles so I’m size 10 left foot 8-9 right, I use a compression sock on my left leg to keep it down, good quality ones are more like tights, they work but go above the knee, wearing underside socks will just cause inflated leg thing , it gets sore trust me I know, get good ones from the hospital, they help ( plus less dry skin around the toes and calf, horrible)
I hope you find a comfortable solution
Regards
Mark
Use moisturiser btw, it helps

When I had my prostate op a few years ago I had to wear compression socks/stockings for a week or two after the op. For some reason they had a hole cut in them to allow the big toe to emerge. It drove me mad, I hated the sensation.
They were also really tight, my wife had to help me put them on and take them off.
Whilst I was recovering in hospital I had wear special stockings the inflated and deflated automatically ! They were worse, fortunately that was only for a day or two.

Regards Tyrone.

Why? Did the meds make your calves and legs swell up?
No. I don’t think so. It’s to keep your blood circulation going 100% while you are lying in a prone position after the operation. The idea is to prevent blood clots forming in your legs.
It was a funny feeling and not pleasant. That and the morphine which made me itch ! Having said that I was feeling no pain at the time. No backache and my dicky knee was pain free. I felt like 21 again, until I stopped taking the morphine !

Regards Tyrone.

No. I don’t think so. It’s to keep your blood circulation going 100% while you are lying in a prone position after the operation. The idea is to prevent blood clots forming in your legs.
It was a funny feeling and not pleasant. That and the morphine which made me itch ! Having said that I was feeling no pain at the time. No backache and my dicky knee was pain free. I felt like 21 again, until I stopped taking the morphine !

Regards Tyrone.
They had those pumped shin guards on me for the operation. to keep good blood flow and maybe reduce clots. I was never awake while they were running so I have no idea how they felt. I see the surgeon today and will ask about the socks.
Of course I will go with real ones just hard to find my size, 15 size feet. I suppose an ace bandage is a similar idea. But too tight can be bad as well. I was just wondering about options until I can find the correct size in stock somewhere. I found out they come in at least too levels of pressure 15-20mm and 20-30mm Hg.
Bill D

I need to wear them when I fly or take a long drive in the car. I am suppose to wear them all the time, but I sit in a Lazy-boy chair with my feet up, so I like to wear knee high white sox. Originally my doctor had me go to a special store who measured my legs. I have blood clot issues or what's called Factor 5 that is a hereditary issue that my relatives had strokes and died. and my legs fill with water too. You can buy them at Walgreens too . I prefer the tighter ones, the bigger ones slip down. I now buy them off Amazon. If you buy from them, you can ask the seller about what size they recommend for a size 13 shoe. I also have a vibrating foot stool (have my feet on it now as a matter of fact) It's called a Medi-Rub and it helps with my circulation. You don't want to have numb feet as it's horrible. Follow you Doctors instructions. Oh I also hate taking Furosemide as I have to pee all the time, but it helps. I also take a blood thinner call Warfarin so I don't get a clot in my lungs, heart or brain. It sucks getting old. Good Luck

I have bilateral lower leg edema that comes and goes. When my feet and calves really get swollen, I have to wear the compression socks. The ones you get from Walgreens off the shelf come up just under the knee. I have never had a pair of "ordinary" socks or even athletic socks (like for soccer, where I used to wear two sets of knee-high socks with shin guards inbetween)) that are remotely close to the squeeze you get from compression socks/stockings.
So, buy the compression socks/stockings. Ordinary socks aren't anything like.

Last edited:
They had those pumped shin guards on me for the operation. to keep good blood flow and maybe reduce clots. I was never awake while they were running so I have no idea how they felt. I see the surgeon today and will ask about the socks.
Of course I will go with real ones just hard to find my size, 15 size feet. I suppose an ace bandage is a similar idea. But too tight can be bad as well. I was just wondering about options until I can find the correct size in stock somewhere. I found out they come in at least too levels of pressure 15-20mm and 20-30mm Hg.
Bill D
They kept expanding and contracting about every 30 seconds. Not easy to get to sleep with them on.

Regards Tyrone.

I saw the doctor and he said my leg is slightly swollen two weeks after surgery. He said I can wear the socks if I want but I do not need to. I am walking around a bit and start PT next week. That should keep the blood flowing.
Bill D

You've seen that commercial about the compression band that you wear around your calf muscle.
Advertised to eliminate the pain from your leg. Appears that it only masks the pain but that's what most people need.
A Band-Aid.

If you are talking shot compression socks there may not be much difference. They help most when covering the calf. Compression socks are supposed to provide a calibrated compression and can. But as you mentioned there sizing says otherwise. For my wife the sizes that fit her feet were too tight in the calves. no such thing as a size that fit her.

The medical grade ones in the blue-green box are good, but not terribly durable. It sucks to put your thumb through a $30 pair of socks. I've found good ones on Amazon but you have to experiment a bit. You have to know the mm Hg pressure you need. They need to come up to just below the knee. My doctor gave me a catalog of various types/brands that you can get in various places. There's way more engineering in these things than just "tight socks!" Might start here- https://www.flipsnack.com/ameswalker/2022-ames-walker-consumer-catalog-digital_122121/full-view.html

You've seen that commercial about the compression band that you wear around your calf muscle.
Advertised to eliminate the pain from your leg. Appears that it only masks the pain but that's what most people need.
A Band-Aid.
Drop something heavy on your toe, that’ll mask any pain from your leg.

Regards Tyrone.

Back