office lathe

wippin' boy

Diamond
haas office lathe
72993.jpg

1300 lbs
lock stock and barrel
cute
you got to admit the guy knows how to play the game.
he just can't follow the rules to good

Just think, 40 years from now, HSM guys are going to be picking these up for "first lathes" instead of 6" Atlas-Craftsman models

Another cool Haas lathe I saw at the IMTS is their American made knock-off of a Hardinge HLV, but with cnc controls on it. Very cool and cute. The technician who was running it said that lathe was serial number 1. I didn't get a price from him.
John

Another cool Haas lathe I saw at the IMTS is their American made knock-off of a Hardinge HLV, but with cnc controls on it. Very cool and cute.
I was there and played with it too. The more I think about it, it seems silly to have made it look so much like an HLV-H...plus it costs more than one of their small turning centers with a turret. :rolleyes:

I loved that thing when I saw it at Westec, the only thing that made me pause was the price, about 35 k base. Why bother? Just get an SL10 (which is only 5 k more) or a used whatever brand "real" CNC lathe.

re: the floppy, I'm told by the Haas man here in AZ that all Haas machines now are shipping with a USB ports instead of floppy drives.

I loved that thing when I saw it at Westec, the only thing that made me pause was the price, about 35 k base. Why bother? Just get an SL10
Then why did you "love it" ?? I would "love" a Ferrari if they were the same price as a Honda !

Just because it would be really cool to set it next to my computer in my office and run parts in the comfort of my house.

Also I'll admit, I think it's just plain cute, like a fuzzy golden lab puppy. I want to take it home. :D

I wonder if it has the same 5hp motor that is in my $80 shopvac?

They seem to rate their HP quite similarly.

Well, I'm sure the motor is a 3phase going through a VFD, but you still need to draw that current single phase, then add the loss factor, so at roughly 5amps/hp@220V, you're looking at about 25 amps @ 5hp load, plus the servo drives, amps, CNC controller, etc.

The machine is rated 220v @ 20A, so do the math ;)

Hey All,
I have an OL-1 Office lathe, I like it allot, very nice for small parts. I turn some 316SS on it and have no problems whatsoever. So I don't know how much HP you need? However I am signing papers tomorrow for a HPCL lathe. I have been begging them for one since I heard about them. 35k? Have you priced an Omniturn or other type lathe or even a new Hardinge HLV? 35K is not bad.
I also have the Office Mill and that is really nice. I don't think there is anything else out there that is in this size class for micromachining. Or Mesomachining as I hear it beeing called . -matt

35k? Have you priced an Omniturn or other type lathe or even a new Hardinge HLV? 35K is not bad.
Not bad, but still seems high compared to their little turning centers with turrets and full splash guards that cost even less. Rather have one of those plus a used real HLV-H for the manual stuff.

To me the HPCL is a little "cute" but mostly kinda doofus looking...like a cartoon of an HLV-H ;)

but mostly kinda doofus looking
Well you ain't ever seen me! I will match that lathe pretty good. :( The things I make are really small microsurgical instruments. .012 stainless dia and turned smaller. I use Hardinge special accuracy 5C collets. The HPCL has a tail stock that will really help in some of my prototypes. I have to make 1-6 parts to tryout in surgery then one of our other members gets to make zillions with their swissturn. So the HPLC is the best solution for me. I do have a Sharp manual clone. (85%of the machine at 40% the price)-matt

Back