What's new
What's new

Offline Sales for Used Industrial Rotary Phase Converter

Sell

Plastic
There are a couple of threads on PM about where to list used equipment online (FB, Ebay, Craigslist), but what types of places locally might be interested in a used 460V rotary 3 phase phase converter?
I've called just about every place related to "electrical motor service", "electrical supply", etc., but these usually only deal with new equipment or simply fix them.

If you say so!

While I'm happy to help myself out by posting the link, I (and future people in my situation) would still be interested in hearing offline avenues for this sort of thing.

If you say so!

While I'm happy to help myself out by posting the link, I (and future people in my situation) would still be interested in hearing offline avenues for this sort of thing.
You list it in as many places as possible, and hope someone that needs it finds you before they buy a new one.

If you say so!

Advertise in the section "Machinery for Sale or Wanted".

Right with you on that, but I'm asking what sort of shops, companies, etc. can I start cold-calling.
I hustled industrial equipment for 30 years. That item is way too specific, I don't see anyone, other than a surplus dealer, willing to buy and sit on it waiting for a buyer. I think your price is good, you just need to find an ass that fits that seat.

I hustled industrial equipment for 30 years. That item is way too specific, I don't see anyone, other than a surplus dealer, willing to buy and sit on it waiting for a buyer. I think your price is good, you just need to find an ass that fits that seat.

I don't know about that. I'd imagine Croman would build that brand new for less than $3000.

IMO, there is ZERO market for a 460V phase converter. If it was within a couple hours of me I'd pay maybe $1000 for it if the motors were dual voltage and rewire the whole thing to 240V and make it VFD start.

I don't know about that. I'd imagine Croman would build that brand new for less than $3000.

IMO, there is ZERO market for a 460V phase converter. If it was within a couple hours of me I'd pay maybe $1000 for it if the motors were dual voltage and rewire the whole thing to 240V and make it VFD start.
Cannot say I've heard that name before, but I did look them up, they list a new 100hp unit at 7K, and a 125hp unit at 8K, no mention of voltage on either.

Rob F
I've never seen 460v single phase either, but enough rpc builders offer them that it must be available somewhere:confused:

I was thinking it must be an oddly special place to have 460V single phase.
And this is just the sort of place I hoped PM would know about!

I know very little about electricity, but can you get 460V single phase from doubling up 220V single phase wires? (meaning that this could be used anywhere with single-phase 220V lines)
Or would a transformer be able to get 220V to 460V? It came with a 3-phase dry type transformer, but no idea if it's before or after the phase converter.

I know very little about electricity, but can you get 460V single phase from doubling up 220V single phase wires? (meaning that this could be used anywhere with single-phase 220V lines)
No
Or would a transformer be able to get 220V to 460V? It came with a 3-phase dry type transformer, but no idea if it's before or after the phase converter.
A transformer before the rpc would work, but that is a lot of amps. Short of getting lucky, I don't see this being a quick sale, even at half the price, it is just too specialized of a piece. Advertise it and wait.

If the motors/idlers are reconnectable for 230v, and you reconfigured the controls for 230v, you'd probably have better luck selling them as 2 40hp phase converters, but the beginning line of second sentence tells me this is above your pay grade.

Last edited:
A transformer before the rpc would work
That explains the transformer!

Short of getting lucky, I don't see this being a quick sale, even at half the price, it is just too specialized of a piece. Advertise it and wait.
You'd know better than I do, but honestly, I can't imagine the current price would be a concern for someone who actually needed one of these. The alternative of putting up lines to rural areas or buying a new one of these has to be many times more expensive. Those that think it's too expensive are probably thinking like you said, to break it in half.

Waiting is cool, but I was hoping someone would say: "Hey, ______ use these, give them a call."

No 2 lines of 220 is still 220. A transformer is needed to change voltages either up or down.
If that is a 3 phase transformer it HAS to go after the phase converters since there is no 3 phase before the RPC's.
I agree with dalmatian that two 220v converters will sell much better, assuming you can do it with what is there.

Years ago I was looking at written pole motors, they are high HP (up to 100?) that are single phase. I was also looking at their 1 to 3 converters. They used to have some examples of where they were used, maybe poke around on their website an see what you can learn.

Back