What's new
What's new

Oiling (way) for Cadillac 22100- Help

jackalope

Titanium
I’m posting here as my searches and questions elsewhere have gotten zero responses. I bought this machine and am waiting on a manual. In the meantime I cannot figure out where to oil the ways??? There are no oil cups or ball detents. Can anyone provide any clues to how get these ways oiled? It’s a Cadillac 22100 which is a knockoff of the Mori Seiki and same as Webb, Whacheon, Takisawa, Yam. Thank you in advance.

The Cadillacs I have seen have an oil pump on the carriage that is actuated when you turn the carriage feed handwheel. There is a reservoir built into the carriage.

" Incorporated into the apron was an automatic pump, that when the carriage was moving, provided a supply of oil to the bed and cross slide ways."

Last edited:
The Cadillacs I have seen have an oil pump on the carriage that is actuated when you turn the carriage feed handwheel. There is a reservoir built into the carriage.

" Incorporated into the apron was an automatic pump, that when the carriage was moving, provided a supply of oil to the bed and cross slide ways."

Thank you a ton for this. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this out. My buddy has a whacheon at his work and he said they just coat the ways when using which is not what I wanted to do. Glad you chimed in. Thank you!!

Thank you a ton for this. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this out. My buddy has a whacheon at his work and he said they just coat the ways when using which is not what I wanted to do. Glad you chimed in. Thank you!!
Keep your eye on the oil level. You can get coolant in the apron and then the pump will be pumping coolant onto the ways.

Regards Tyrone

Thank you all. I filled all the reservoirs and that would explain why there was oil on the way. I used a dte 26 so I’m not worried as much as when I couldn’t find any dedicated oiling passages.

Watch and make sure then oil level drops to prove the pump is working. Also check and make sure stuff looks wet after a few days of filling. Some ports may be plugged up. My harrison cross slide has two oil ports with a zig zaG groove to spread the oil out. Those groves were filled with gunk so oil came out of the ports but did not spread out to cover the entire slideway length, just the middle portion.

Last edited:
Watch and make sure then oil level drops to prove the pump is working. Also check and make sure stuff looks wet after a few days of filling. Some ports may be plugged up. My harrison cross slide has two oil ports with a zig zaG groove to spread the oil out. Those gropves were filled with gunk so oil came out of the ports but did not spread out to cover the entire slideway length just the middle portion.
That happens frequently with oil grooves.

Regards Tyrone

Thankfully the carriage is getting oiled. The cross and compound it looks like they may starved which would suggest clogged grooves and passages. I’ll dig into those soon.
Appreciate everyone’s quick input. My Nardini had ball detents for each way. I can flood that machine with oil and know it’s good. This Cadillac had me scratching my head.

On my harrison I just cranked the cross slide all the way to the rear and that exposed the oil ports for cleaning. I might have had to push it a little farther back after the screw disengaged. No disassembly required.
I was able to see the vee ways getting damp so no need to pull the apron for cleaning.
Bill D

Thank you all. I filled all the reservoirs and that would explain why there was oil on the way. I used a dte 26 so I’m not worried as much as when I couldn’t find any dedicated oiling passages.
Is DTE 26 specified for the carriage? Usually it would be way-lube.

You are correct. I’ll run the dte26 until the oiling is functional and then drain and use heavy way oil. I like the heavier shit because it seems to have way better tackifiers in the formula and my Nardini is silky smooth.
I find the Sunoco 1180 way oil does a better job of sticking than the Vactra #2 that I used to use. However, it is similar in viscosity, I think Vactra #4 is too thick for automatic oiling systems.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Back