What's new
What's new

Okuma Lathe OSP-U10L zero offset question

69BP

Plastic
I'm new to Okuma and CNC lathes. I purchased a 2002 ES-L10 lathe with the U10L control. I'm trying to understand the way this lathe uses zero and tool offsets. I've read the manual but I'm still confused. In the Zero Set Page, I placed my master tool (T0101) at the top/face (not center) of the chucked bar stock and zero'd the X and Z axis with the "cal" button. I saw a youtube video stating that you never set the X-axis in this screen as it is set-up to be the centerline of the chuck. Did I mess up the zero/offsets for all my other tools? I rotated the turret to a drill tool holder and centered it on the stock and the x-axis was far from zero. I think I messed up where the machine sees X=0.

Is this correct?
(Zero Set Page) Face work piece with Master tool and set Z=0
(Zero set Page) Leave X where it is (assuming the machine still thinks X=0 at the centerline for the Master tool)
(Tool Offset Page) Touch off each tool on the Z face and zero with "Cal" button. (Z offset value will change relative to Z of master tool)
(Tool Offset Page) Touch off each cutting tool on the face of X (Stock Diameter=1") and zero with "Cal" button. Take the new offset number and add 1.0" for the diameter of the stock.
(Tool Offset Page) Zero drills so that x=0 but don't add the 1" as diameter doesn't matter for the drill.

All tools should now be ready to use in programs.

If I'm off, please correct me.

Thank you so much!
Matt
BTW. I make custom furniture and have been using a manual lathe for many years to make furniture parts like door knobs and drawer pulls. Looking to automate the process.

Attachments

• DSC02347.JPG
    DSC02347.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02348.JPG
    DSC02348.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02349.JPG
    DSC02349.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02350.JPG
    DSC02350.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 2
On the zero set page, the X value is to the center. It should never need to be changed. All your drills, taps, etc. will have zero in the X offset.
Your master tool will have zero in the Z offset. All other Z offsets are in relation to that.
To set OD or ID tools you can touch OD or ID and use CAL (OD or ID value)

ie: if you touch off a 1" diameter, use CAL 1.0 Then you don't need to adjust anything after touch off.

BTW, I have an ES-L8 w/U10L so if you have anymore questions I'd be happy to help.

Thanks Booze, I think I have it now. I wasn't wrapping my brain around the x-value being diameter. I was thinking in X/Y/Z like a mill. On the "Actual Position" page the numbers threw me off. If I moved the tool 1" in the Z, the DRO would indicate 1" moved, If I moved the cutter 1" in the X and DRO indicated 2". When I changed tools, I assumed the control would know I'm on tool 2 and would give me actual position for tool 2. Not the case. It gave me the position for the master tool (T1) as if it was the active tool. I could get the real position for other tools if I added in the offsets. It taught me to not pay too much attention to the actual position page.

Thanks Booze, I think I have it now. I wasn't wrapping my brain around the x-value being diameter. I was thinking in X/Y/Z like a mill. On the "Actual Position" page the numbers threw me off. If I moved the tool 1" in the Z, the DRO would indicate 1" moved, If I moved the cutter 1" in the X and DRO indicated 2". When I changed tools, I assumed the control would know I'm on tool 2 and would give me actual position for tool 2. Not the case. It gave me the position for the master tool (T1) as if it was the active tool. I could get the real position for other tools if I added in the offsets. It taught me to not pay too much attention to the actual position page.
Never, ever change your X zero set. Ever.
Use your 01 tool (likely a CNMG turning tool) as your dedicated Z zero set acquisition tool. Use it for getting Z zero set even when you aren’t using that tool, like when it’s a simple drilling op, or a second side boring the chamfer op. Get a tool offset for the drill or boring bar.

Nomenclature: your choice, but it is easier if you put your turning station in position 01, and call it T010101. For a drill, have a dedicated station, say 8 and call it T808. Get the offset for the drill, it should be around X0. But it could be X-.017 or X.005, it will be close to 0, but won’t be perfect depending on the tool, or the concentricity of the sleeve, etc.
Put M01‘s in your program; toggle that off after initial run through.
Always check your chuck pressure before running part. Always.

Back