What's new
What's new

Okuma LB300-M tool clocking

Luc Daronche

Plastic
Hi all,

I have been at the company I work at now for 10 plus years and one thing that has always annoyed me is clocking tools on our Okuma lathes, VDI 40 specifically. We also have a few DMG MORI NLX lathes using the BMT60 keyway system that comfortably repeats 0.05 every time.

On the Okuma we are constantly battling with clocking offset boring bar holders and radial/axial driven tooling. To try and fix this issue I have had turret alignments, replaced the ground locating pins on the turret and replaced some holders and still have the same issue.

Does anyone else struggle with this or have a better solution or is this just an Okuma VDI issue ?

Thanks ☺️

It has been said that VDI stands for "Very Difficult to Indicate"

This issue is not specific to Okuma but rather to all VDI turrets. I try to leave my VDI holders in the turret once they're dialed in if at all possible.

It has been said that VDI stands for "Very Difficult to Indicate"

This issue is not specific to Okuma but rather to all VDI turrets. I try to leave my VDI holders in the turret once they're dialed in if at all possible.
Ahaha I haven’t heard that before!

Yeah thats what we try to do but it gets quite difficult when running multiple jobs, setup times just blow out.

I can be tough. On some tools the tool tip is a long way from the vdi post. To that, add the turret dowel is close to the vdi hole, and the sum is tough location.

You know the locating pins are eccentric with a little hole in the side for a spanner, right? Get all those clocked the same so every position works with the same tool, one that doesn't have adjusting screws. Then line up the holders with adjusting screws. Mark the adjusting screw to be loosened and tightened at holder installation.

It's not perfect, but it's about the best you can do.

A big consideration is to clock the turret so the cross working tools are on spindle centerline when they are parrallel to the x axis. It's worth inspecting all this type holder to see how close the cutter cl is to the vdi post cl. It won't be perfect, unless you are lucky. Mark up the deviation and be prepared to see that error in the turret, or you will drive yourself crazy.

I can be tough. On some tools the tool tip is a long way from the vdi post. To that, add the turret dowel is close to the vdi hole, and the sum is tough location.

You know the locating pins are eccentric with a little hole in the side for a spanner, right? Get all those clocked the same so every position works with the same tool, one that doesn't have adjusting screws. Then line up the holders with adjusting screws. Mark the adjusting screw to be loosened and tightened at holder installation.

It's not perfect, but it's about the best you can do.

A big consideration is to clock the turret so the cross working tools are on spindle centerline when they are parrallel to the x axis. It's worth inspecting all this type holder to see how close the cutter cl is to the vdi post cl. It won't be perfect, unless you are lucky. Mark up the deviation and be prepared to see that error in the turret, or you will drive yourself crazy.
Hi mate,

Yes I have done everything mentioned above, it’s nice to know other people have this issue too 👍🏻

Back