What's new
What's new

Okuma lnc-8 cheap starter tooling recommendations

dreammstr6

Aluminum
Parts should be coming in soon for the Okuma cadet lnc-8 once I see it run I’ll need tooling to play with to learn how to use it. So I’m looking for recommendations on cheap tooling to play with. Never ran a cnc lathe before and don’t use my manual lathe a lot. Any suggestions of cheap tooling type’s would be appreciated. I’m sure I will mess them up learning

Recommendations on types? I have seen tons of different designs of inserts.
A basic CNMG 432 for turning, maybe a DNMG 432 for finish turn.
Some groove tools
A few boring bars
Some drills - like indexable style .
Sleeves - you're going to need sleeves for the ID tools in the turret.

Shoot me a message, I have tons of brand new tool holders and inserts.
Or email me: tooling64 at gmail dot com
It’s all high quality usable stuff599AAF5D-EDF1-4EA3-ACA7-3BFF2E77F712.jpeg599AAF5D-EDF1-4EA3-ACA7-3BFF2E77F712.jpeg599AAF5D-EDF1-4EA3-ACA7-3BFF2E77F712.jpeg

Attachments

• 1508E00C-7CF7-4381-907F-B0BD7CD82CAD.jpeg
    1508E00C-7CF7-4381-907F-B0BD7CD82CAD.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
I just tooled up my first lathe as well. Here's what I ended up with.
  • CNMG for hard use roughing if needed. Can also be general purpose but fewer edges per insert than WNMG but can take a bigger cut
  • WNMG for general purpose use, make sure to get one that pulls a corner into the pocket and locates on two edges instead of pulling and locating on one edge
  • DNMG for finishing
  • VNMG for profiling
  • Boring bar for the smallest hole you expect to need
  • Larger boring bar that will be your go to for most work (if possible, get one with the same inserts you use for most of your turning)
  • Drills to make clearance for boring bars. More drills to save time boring larger diameters.
  • Internal grooving tool
  • Parting / grooving tool, recommend the screw clamp style insert parting tool over the self grip blades
  • Neutral SNMG holder for quick chamfers and interrupted cuts, and because SNMG inserts are super cheap
  • As Douglas points out, you'll need some sleeves for your boring bars and drills, but they're easy enough to make so you can save some by making your own
I personally prefer D single clamp style holders over the M pin and clamp style, but either will do. So that'd be a DWLNR vs a MWLNR for a right hand WNMG holder. Lots of good deals on ebay for good used tooling. The only thing I struggled to find a good deal on was boring bars, which I bought from MariTool. They sell new boring bars for the price the name brands were going for used on ebay. Also, if you don't need process reliability and just need cheap inserts to play with, Chinese inserts are a mixed bag but I've had good luck with some. The name brand knockoffs tend to be shit, but the ones with Chinese company names (Deskar, ZCC, etc) on them tend to be better.

Last edited:
I just tooled up my first lathe as well. Here's what I ended up with.
  • CNMG
  • WNMG
  • DNMG
  • VNMG

Mostly the same but you need something positive for aluminum and stainless and even titanium ... I love Sandvik KNUX uncoated, they're the champs, especially in aluminum, even if a bit pricey.

A round insert is useful sometimes too.

Don't like dnmg's much and really don't like vnmg's. Besides being fragile as hell the holder is never at the right angle for what you need to do. But I recently saw these - does any major name make something like this or is it just a wacko idea a small tool company had ? Neutral holder, positive rake in the insert all the way around, I could see using these for finishing .. maybe two holders, one for straight in and one up to a shoulder on the chuck end.

Looks intarethting, vewwwy interethting ....

• Internal grooving tool

For all-around versatility, grab an old-style boring bar with the square hole in it. Then when you need to do a .0952 groove, you can just grind one up out of high-speed. Or a radius bottom, or whatever. Or even a normal size, if it's only ten parts then you don't have to buy a complete box of off-the-shelf-but-out-of-stock-but-we-can-order-for-you inserts.

Definitely get the kind that clamps on the top if you plan to do much partoff / deep grooving. The ones with the cheesy little pop-in inserts are sort of okay but not good for anything with any side loading and they tend to wander and the choice of inserts isn't so good.

• Neutral SNMG holder for quick chamfers and interrupted cuts, and because SNMG inserts are super cheap

People don't recommend squares much, i guess because you can't turn and face with the same insert but yeah. Cheap and work good. You can rough with them too. I shoulda used them more :(

Oops, almost forgot. Threading. I loved them sandvik laydowns, loved em to pieces. A little expensive (says Sandvik on the box, right ?) but boy do they make nice threads.

Back