What's new
What's new

Okuma M660V- Setting tool length offsets

ManualEd

Stainless
I'm having a bit of a time setting TLO on my first mill. I'm on call for a customer so I can't book the Apps Engineering guy for training and tool/work probe setup for a few weeks.

The manuals don't seem to be super helpful
I've seen a few posts mention calling G15H0 to cancel your offsets.
Then set all the tools to a gauge block on the table using the "Calc" button.

Call G15H1, and touch off a tool to where you want Z 0 for your part to be.

Couple questions:
Is G15H0 calling a machine/master offset?
Is G15H1-G15H99 supposed to be like G54-G5X work coordinates on other machines?
Do the G15H1-G15H99 correspond to the work offset table in the setup screen, and will call X Y and Z offsets for the program?

Thanks for any help!

I'm having a bit of a time setting TLO on my first mill. I'm on call for a customer so I can't book the Apps Engineering guy for training and tool/work probe setup for a few weeks.

The manuals don't seem to be super helpful
I've seen a few posts mention calling G15H0 to cancel your offsets.
Then set all the tools to a gauge block on the table using the "Calc" button.

Call G15H1, and touch off a tool to where you want Z 0 for your part to be.

Couple questions:
Is G15H0 calling a machine/master offset?
Is G15H1-G15H99 supposed to be like G54-G5X work coordinates on other machines?
Do the G15H1-G15H99 correspond to the work offset table in the setup screen, and will call X Y and Z offsets for the program?

Thanks for any help!
G15H1 through G15H99 do correspond to G54 etc.
G56 H1 etc would be the equivalent of G43 H1. Your machine should be able to use G54 HA which would be calling the A tool length offset for the tool that is in the spindle. There are A, B, and C offsets for tool length and cutter comp. If your machine didn’t come with tool and spindle probes you can do the following to set tools. Use a tool of known length and/or a gauge block to set a G15 work offset to a surface. In the work coordinate page ( the other tab on the screen where the program is displayed), hit the “Calc” soft key and enter the length of the tool of known length / gauge block etc. and hit “Enter “. Put your tool in the spindle and touch off to that surface. Press the “Tools” button and select the tool number of the tool to be measured. If you use a gauge block, feeler gauge, or whatever, hit the “Calc” soft key and enter the height/size of that item. Press “Enter” and a tool length should populate the appropriate field in. The tool table. Use MDI to call up the G15 work offset and the use G56 to call the tool offset. Position to a point that can be verified with an object with a known length and verify your tool offset.

One thing that needs to be understood when working with the Mx60 mills is that machine home position is not the X+Y+Z+ corner of travel. It is X center, Y center of the table at a point in Z that is above the table.

G15H1 through G15H99 do correspond to G54 etc.
G56 H1 etc would be the equivalent of G43 H1. Your machine should be able to use G54 HA which would be calling the A tool length offset for the tool that is in the spindle. There are A, B, and C offsets for tool length and cutter comp. If your machine didn’t come with tool and spindle probes you can do the following to set tools. Use a tool of known length and/or a gauge block to set a G15 work offset to a surface. In the work coordinate page ( the other tab on the screen where the program is displayed), hit the “Calc” soft key and enter the length of the tool of known length / gauge block etc. and hit “Enter “. Put your tool in the spindle and touch off to that surface. Press the “Tools” button and select the tool number of the tool to be measured. If you use a gauge block, feeler gauge, or whatever, hit the “Calc” soft key and enter the height/size of that item. Press “Enter” and a tool length should populate the appropriate field in. The tool table. Use MDI to call up the G15 work offset and the use G56 to call the tool offset. Position to a point that can be verified with an object with a known length and verify your tool offset.
I've seen this mentioned a few times. Why do you have to subtract the value of the gauge block when setting G15H0?

This is just a stop gap so I can fiddle with the machine until the apps guy gets the tool and spindle probe set.

I've seen this mentioned a few times. Why do you have to subtract the value of the gauge block when setting G15H0?

This is just a stop gap so I can fiddle with the machine until the apps guy gets the tool and spindle probe set.
When you use positive TLO, the location of the work coordinate Z0 relative to the spindle face must be known.

When you use positive TLO, the location of the work coordinate Z0 relative to the spindle face must be known.

There is no H0 in the offset list so I can't really see what its doing.
So I can get it to select offset 0 with G15H0, but even with a g56H0 to try and select that Z offset, it won't 0 Z on the main screen like it does when I hit Calc on a different H offset.
Should I use G15H200 to set tool lengths so I'm able to see the offsets in the list?

Back