What's new
What's new

Old monster drill press

1945gray

Plastic
I have an old (1920-1945?) Canedy-Otto drill press. Searching for information, it might be a model 32 or 36. It was inherited from my late father-in-law about 15 yrs ago. He worked for Hooker Chemical and succumbed to cancer. Does anyone remember "Love Canal" in the news back in the 1980s). It works fine and is still in use occasionally. We are downsizing / selling our house and it has to go.

My understanding was it originally was in a shop where multiple machines were driven with long leather belts from a common overhead shaft /pully powered by steam. My father-in-law converted it to an electric motor. The press has a three speed step pully also with a leather belt.

Is there a market for this press? Does it have value? (other than to a chiropractor to fix my back if I try to move this monster?)

Attachments

• dril1.jpg
    dril1.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 130
  • drill2.jpg
    drill2.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 129
I bought one from an auction to save it from the scrapper, later sold it for $125 to a truck shop mechanic. It's not precision nor a highly desirable collectible, but still better than most of the import home shop drill presses sold in hardware stores.

That one looks pretty simple from what I see in the photos, and also looks to be be in really good shape compared to some others I have seen. It doesn't look all that big as far as drill presses go so it should be "easy" to move or sell. That Is a well known brand that made good equipment so some one will want it if you try to sell it. I would price it a little above a similar size and featured china import.

I would pass. The table isn't height adjustable and the handle is super old school and nonergonomic. It isn't one of their beautiful old camelbacks (for an example see http://nwnative.us/Grant/shop articles/camelback). It doesn't have a work light and it only has 3 speeds which are probably awkward to switch between. It doesn't have power downfeed. It isn't very user friendly and lacks nearly all modern design improvements. I can understand the appeal of old machinery, but I suggest your time and money would be better spent acquiring and restoring a 21" Royersford Excelsior or other classic camelbacks.

I would pass. The table isn't height adjustable and the handle is super old school and nonergonomic. It isn't one of their beautiful old camelbacks (for an example see http://nwnative.us/Grant/shop articles/camelback). It doesn't have a work light and it only has 3 speeds which are probably awkward to switch between. It doesn't have power downfeed. It isn't very user friendly and lacks nearly all modern design improvements. I can understand the appeal of old machinery, but I suggest your time and money would be better spent acquiring and restoring a 21" Royersford Excelsior or other classic camelbacks.

The table is height adjustable. It slides vertically on a dovetail way just like the head.

Back