What's new
What's new

Old planer on FB in Arkansas

Looks like they had a fire:(. It got hot enough to melt some plastic coated conduit over a radial drill (looks like it was in the worst of it), but other parts of the shop seem ok. The older machines likely stand a better chance of coming back to functionality than the newer machines, provided it didn't get hot enough to melt babbit and bronze elements.

Something about that shop seems familiar, like there was another thread on here about it?

Does not look like anything got very hot if it was a fire. Gages look fine, light shades hanging from electrical cord, plastic start stop buttons not melted etc. Looks like a big horizontal press, pic 2,3&4?

I think I have seen the pictures in another thread on this forum a while ago too but can't remember the title.
If I recall it was shop for a short line or tourist railway that had a fire.
Jim

I think I have seen the pictures in another thread on this forum a while ago too but can't remember the title.
If I recall it was shop for a short line or tourist railway that had a fire.
Jim
The other thread had to have been a few months ago, so maybe that's a good sign that they're not rushing to bring in the scrap guys?

I think this is it from July .
Jim

I think their ad is still up on Facebook. The shop is in Gurdon Ar. They did work for the timber industry and sawmills in the area. They had a fire and what I can remember from driving past the shop and the pictures they posted most of the building burned down. Actually rented a house about a mile from that shop back in the early 1980's. Started to go by and take a look as its only about 40 miles from where I am now. To many projects out of room so I didn't go.

i called and tried to work out a deal on the planner and some other stuff but he is out of his mind for what think its worth. :(
he told me on the planner he was going to except offer but wound do anything for less the 6000.00 i just laughed and said good luck.
he told some one has already offered him 3000.00 i said you should have sold it i dont think that offer will role back around.
i would bet no body offered him three for.
he said he was going to just hold on to it because he could sale it to some one over sea that did not have power and the could use their toyota to run it?
maybe the world has changed a LOT but wow i dont see that. LOL

Last edited:
That's sad.

Cases like this suck because this guy's going to drive away the buyers that would actually use and respect of this stuff and when no one meets his moronic demands, he'll probably think "Well gee, I guess there are no real machinists left in 'Murica. Time to call the scrap yard." Total disconnect with reality.:(

Mabey I'm the crazy one. It just feels like there's more and more of these idiots out there who gripe about nothing made like it used to be, yet buy all their tools from Harbor Freight. They let their nephew cut up that 51' Ford from the field for a "rat rod," then when they see a real restored classic drive by, "How come we don't see those anymore!?"

Back