What's new
What's new

Old-School Hardware Stores and Industrial Suppliers

I lived in Hagerstown Maryland in the early 80's and Foltz Mfg. and Supply was amazing. The machine shop behind the store front still had machines running on leather belts from an electric motor in the corner of the shop. Their newest machine seemed to be a round arm Bridgeport. Your order was placed at at counter with stools, but you were usually welcome to look around for things you couldn't live without. I needed some dam babbitt and it was supplied from a wooden barrel on the 3rd floor accessed by a creaky elevator, sold by the pound and supplied in a brown paper bag.
View attachment 383008
I just bought a set of starrett calipers from Foltz's.. Still family own ( 4th gen I think). Great place with good service. Calvin B

I recently stumbled upon the following YouTube video,
for Get a grip tool New Jersey. I really enjoyed watching the video and look forward to trying to visit someday. The only thing that's a little suspicious is that the store has way too much tools in it. Growing up in the Boston area there were two really good used tool stores still are for that matter called the tool shed. Almost half of my tool collection comes from those stores as is but each of them was a very small location, with very very high turnover and great prices. The only way I can imagine filling a store that filled is if his prices are sky high. And any rate it looks like a ton of fun to walk around, so one of these days when I'm in Jersey I'll have to stop in.

I recently stumbled upon the following YouTube video,
for Get a grip tool New Jersey. I really enjoyed watching the video and look forward to trying to visit someday. The only thing that's a little suspicious is that the store has way too much tools in it. Growing up in the Boston area there were two really good used tool stores still are for that matter called the tool shed. Almost half of my tool collection comes from those stores as is but each of them was a very small location, with very very high turnover and great prices. The only way I can imagine filling a store that filled is if his prices are sky high. And any rate it looks like a ton of fun to walk around, so one of these days when I'm in Jersey I'll have to stop in.
you are dead on- the prices are sky high. https://getagripandmore.com/collections/hand-tools

Back