What's new
What's new

Omniturn programming....

I know nothing about Omniturn, but have run older controllers with very few features, and made extensive use of G92.

On a lathe with a single toolpost, you should choose a reference tool. After the machine is homed, then you should set the machine coordinate system by accurately describing the reference tool position (on that toolpost) with a G92 command. The Z is not so important as the X value, which will then determine how far to X0. The Z value will need to be reset according to the job, anyway. But the reference tool should have a Z length offset of zero.

Preferably, this initial G92 global setting would be done in MDI, as this would be equivalent to a more modern machine going to a parameter and getting a G53 coordinate system value that way. You probably might not have a G53 coordinate system per se, but that is because the machine only has one coordinate system and no work offsets (wild guess). Only difference on the older controls is that you have to do this G92 setting correctly after every startup.

Now the only reason I can think of to invoke further G92 commands on a 'per tool basis' is because the machine physically executes a tool offset whenever the tool number is called (or you have front and rear toolposts). This machine motion while executing the tool offset can get you into collision trouble if large values are entered in the tool offset table. So G92 can be used under those circumstances to 'trim the fat' off of excessive offset values.

So for multi-tool machines (with two or more fixed toolpost positions), I would attempt to establish 'tape measure G92s' for each tool, with the cross slide at home. Chances are that for setting offsets at each toolpost, you will have to first set the appropriate G92 for that toolpost, and then take your trial cuts to establish a relatively small tool offset value.

It would then be necessary to establish a routine in programming to habitually call the predetermined G92 for a given toolpost position. This should only be necessary to establish which side of center the toolpost is actually on, as otherwise, tool offset directions (in X) become ambiguous.

Make it an ironclad habit to return to machine home after every program reset, and before every toolchange.

On a lathe with a single toolpost, you should choose a reference tool. After the machine is homed, then you should set the machine coordinate system by accurately describing the reference tool position (on that toolpost) with a G92 command.
Ah!
If it were only THAT easy........
From what I can see, that procedure will not work with the Omniturn control....
It does it's own offset calculations (from X home) and automatically enters a value in the offset table. You can change the values, but I haven't figured out the relationship yet....

By trying to make it simple, that made it unique. And unfortunately, so unlike conventional lathe programming, that it confuses me since I'm used to
more conventional methods.
And so, that's where the PITA part comes in, ;)

Well, now I'm having problems with the corner radius's and G03/R programming.
I know there must be a problem, because the error routine is working perfectly. The error routine consists of the screen going black, spindle shutting down, computer crashing. Error codes? Naw....not on an Omniturn...
(This despite the program running just fine in the verify function). Even draws graphics that 'look' ok....
I guess it's time to try I and K, except I -have- a couple programs that R programming worked on just fine....
Damn.....this is frustrating!

dk

I have a used OmniTurn on a Hardinge DV-59. Controller has the latest software. By the way - I converted my monitor to a built-in color LCD monitor.

This is my first CNC lathe and I've never programmed one before. I cut on both sides of the part and use radius moves on the OD & ID all the time.

I guess since I have no prior experience, I don't know what I'm missing

I hand-code everything and initially used a CAD-CAM program to get my values in the ballpark. Not the way to be productive, but the machine's price was right for a home shop.

Ed

Is there a way to post photos on this forum? If not, send email to:
[email protected]
and I'll send detailed conversion instructions with photos. I sent this to OmniTurn a while back in case they were interested. The software that came with my controller already supported color and worked fine with the new monitor. After contacting OmniTurn they emailed a special version software that is designed to take advantage of the VGA video card built into the controller's Compaq 386 PC.

The color LCD monitor mounts easily inside the Omni controller and the picture area is almost exactly the same as the OmniTurn window. The active screen height is identical to the OmniTurn window and the width is about 0.22” less on each side. The added sharpness of the LCD more than makes up for the very slight loss in width.

Ed

I program my omni in radius mode.
g90g73g94f300
m08
m03s4000
t1(feedstock)
x0z.35
z-.5
m13
f100z.35
m12
z.5