What's new
What's new

One More Time - Caliper Recommendations

If you aren't strapped for money, IP67 Mitutoyos are the best; period.

If money is a little tight, I'm really liking Insize as a medium-priced brand. Their coolant-proof calipers are about the same price as Mitu so I can't really recommend those, but non-CP calipers are in the Fowler/SPI range but quite a bit nicer for feel. The one I have checks great on gauge blocks/ring gauges etc..

If you aren't strapped for money, IP67 Mitutoyos are the best; period.

If money is a little tight, I'm really liking Insize as a medium-priced brand. Their coolant-proof calipers are about the same price as Mitu so I can't really recommend those, but non-CP calipers are in the Fowler/SPI range but quite a bit nicer for feel. The one I have checks great on gauge blocks/ring gauges etc..

I have to disagree with you on both points.

Mitutoyo are among the best, but certainly not the best.

Insize are generally garbage, with some rare exceptions. I have a set of 3 point bore mics from Insize that are actually decent if you ignore the horrifically cheap plastic cases they came in, however I have some other no-name 3 point bore mics that are as good or better. Things like that have to be built to a certain standard in order to even function, so even the really cheap ones tend to be surprisingly OK as long as they are looked after. But everything else I've ever bought from Insize was absolute bottom of the barrel crap that either got returned or tossed. They are on my no-go list now.

I can only agree about Insize, the one tool I have I was (and 5 years later still am) exceedingly unimpressed with, …………...yes it did the job it was bought for - JUST :(

Yeah those are nice too. Never owned a pair, but a coworker had a pair back in the day.

I love mine. Second one unfortunately. Bought my first ones in '93 or so and (I was in my apprenticeship then) they got dropped and skipped a tooth. Co-worker said "here take them apart like this..." :angry: and they were never the same so I bought the ones I have now, so been "in service" for close 20+ years.

I also have B&S 8" calipers I really like, model 599-579-8-5. Have had those since I bought them, about 25 years or so, work great.

I have Mits (non digital) 505-675 6" calipers, but I have never really liked the *feel* of them... :nutter:

Another thought, I have 12" china brand generic that are pretty damn good considering... paid something like $20 for them...

I don't get all the love for digital calipers. I don't want to see a number, I want to see the needle and where it ends up and how it got there.

I have used Mitutoyo's a lot and like them. I have a new Starrett 120 that is easily the worst of the 'name brand' calipers I've owned. It's seen the same, or less severe, use as all the other yet it looks 100 years old.

As for the OP, who has two 40 year old calipers he's spent way too much time analyzing down the each nick and scratch....it sounds like he has no real need for a caliper if he's been able to get by the past 20 years with 20 year old junkers.

I don't get all the love for digital calipers. I don't want to see a number, I want to see the needle and where it ends up and how it got there.

Some prefer one type, others another. With "needle" I assume you mean dial caliper. Has anyone got a dial caliper over 300mm/12"?

An advantage perhaps often overlooked is that with almost all digital calipers the manufacturer can sell them to both the USA (inches) and the rest of the world (metric).

With an ordinary vernier caliper - must be made either for the inch or metric market.

I have to disagree with you on both points.

Mitutoyo are among the best, but certainly not the best.

Insize are generally garbage, with some rare exceptions. I have a set of 3 point bore mics from Insize that are actually decent if you ignore the horrifically cheap plastic cases they came in, however I have some other no-name 3 point bore mics that are as good or better. Things like that have to be built to a certain standard in order to even function, so even the really cheap ones tend to be surprisingly OK as long as they are looked after. But everything else I've ever bought from Insize was absolute bottom of the barrel crap that either got returned or tossed. They are on my no-go list now.

I don't know if it's still the case but Insize (Chinese) were very unpopular with other manufacturers because they used "dumping prices" to get into markets. I've seen Insize often at exhibitions but have never bought or used any of their products so I can't comment on their quality.

Like you then I think Mitutoyo are good but not my favourite.

I have used Mitutoyo's a lot and like them. I have a new Starrett 120 that is easily the worst of the 'name brand' calipers I've owned. It's seen the same, or less severe, use as all the other yet it looks 100 years old.

As for the OP, who has two 40 year old calipers he's spent way too much time analyzing down the each nick and scratch....it sounds like he has no real need for a caliper if he's been able to get by the past 20 years with 20 year old junkers.

I must admit It's been far too long since I've had what I would consider a decent caliper. I did like the Starrett but actually preferred the Mitutoyo. When they were damaged I wasn't in a position to replace them with the same quality, so I resorted to junkers. I've never cared for them as far as feel, fit, finish, and ease of use are concerned. Just the fact that they're bargain basement quality gives me reservations as to their accuracy and repeatability. They've done the job, but it's been time consuming and frustrating.

I have used them far longer than I would have expected. To avoid problems I measure even the simplest parts multiple times. I'm getting tired of wasting time and having to take 3 to 5 measurements at each point just to have confidence the readings are correct. On some days I find myself measuring as much as machining. I don't like making mistakes, and would like to replace the junkers with a tool I can have confidence in. I doubt that I would ever trust a single measurement, but then again I would like to move the average from 5 times to somewhere around the 2 or 3 range.

Yesterday was a particularly frustrating day. I came from the shop growling at what a waste of time it was trying to get reasonably accurate measurements on what should have been a relatively simple run of parts. The wife responded that it was high time to toss the old junk in the trash and move on. She's been hearing me growl about the same subject for years and finally even she had had enough. Normally she has the patience of a saint, so I know when she's had enough it's time to do something. That was enough to light the fire and get me looking.

It's been many years since I purchased a decent set of calipers, and obviously the choices have changed considerably. I thought I'd ask advice from those using more current versions. I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles. I just want a dependable, well built, accurate tool that will withstand what I consider normal shop use. With the help and opinions offered I'm strongly considering the Mitutoyo 500-752-20. It seems like a good quality tool that will be far superior to the current junkers.

Some prefer one type, others another. With "needle" I assume you mean dial caliper. Has anyone got a dial caliper over 300mm/12"?
I don't have them anymore, but I used to have a Mitutoyo 24" dial caliper. Dual beam. Looked them up, 537-511 was the number. Had the mechanical digital alongside the large dial, just like the height gages of that series.

Today I have dials and digitals to 12", digitals up to 24", and verniers up to 60". :)

Yup

pounding out parts

checking fast, the low position is the right number, give it a wiggle,look for the low spot, next

digitals for inspection or long lengths

An advantage perhaps often overlooked is that with almost all digital calipers the manufacturer can sell them to both the USA (inches) and the rest of the world (metric).

With an ordinary vernier caliper - must be made either for the inch or metric market.

https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-Caliper-Reading-Standard/dp/B01IM83O9K

Not veniers(?), but dual dimension inch/metric. Not very popular where I'm at, but they do make them.

Veniers only seem to be 'relevant' (my opinion of course), when you get over 12". Don't think I have even seen dial calipers over 12", digitals yes, but not dial, I'm sure they are out there somewhere...

All my verniers read inch and metric.

This one you don't hold in one hand, lol.

calipers.jpgverner scale.jpg

+1 for the Mitutoyo Coolant Proof digital models. I prefer the 8". Been using digital since they came out 30 to 40 years ago and would never go back to dial for 6" or 8".

I have used them far longer than I would have expected. To avoid problems I measure even the simplest parts multiple times. I'm getting tired of wasting time and having to take 3 to 5 measurements at each point just to have confidence the readings are correct. On some days I find myself measuring as much as machining. I don't like making mistakes, and would like to replace the junkers with a tool I can have confidence in. I doubt that I would ever trust a single measurement, but then again I would like to move the average from 5 times to somewhere around the 2 or 3 range.

When I need to trust a reading, I get out the mics. Having said that, the best caliper I own is absolutely coolant-proof and requires no batteries. It's an old Etalon vernier, probably older than me. I tried it against the gage blocks randomly, everywhere in its range its been dead on. And so smooth its almost sexual. Only real drawback (besides my old eyes) is that it lacks the modern style inside points -- it has the square nubs limiting it to 3/8 (10mm) ID.

I don't get all the love for digital calipers. I don't want to see a number, I want to see the needle and where it ends up and how it got there. . ..

While I love the feel of B&S/Etalon dial calipers (and also own 12" Mitutoyo), you must not have to deal in both US and metric units? I do, all the time, and there really isn't anything better than a Mitutoyo digital for that. Instant conversions at my finger tips.

And about the only thing that goes wrong with a Mitutoyo is if it gets dripped on the points. Most any dial caliper can eventually jump it's track, get a bit of metal stick in it, or have the same oops-dropped problems.

There is one nice advantage of the dial, though, somehow seems easier to get it to read just what I want, with a bit more or less pressure . . .

Vernier still makes sense in giant sizes, for something that might not be used more than a few times a year.

Thanks everyone for all the help. The decision's been made and the Mitutoyo described in my last post has been ordered. I decided to go with the digital mainly for ease of use. A lot of what I do is repair work. From day to day or even hour to hour I could be working on something with either metric or imperial measurements. Although I do like the older style dial units, the simplicity of pressing a button to change measurement units greatly simplifies things.

The new one should be here early next week, so I'll finish out this week with the junkers. I'll clean them off, remove the batteries and put them on the shelf just in case I need them sometime in the future. Hopefully they'll set there undisturbed until some day far in the future when an antique collector will come along and marvel at the crude measuring instruments used back in the day.

Thanks Again.

I am not gong to recommend any brand name caliper. What I do recommend is getting an eight inch model instead of the almost universal six inch size. I have several six inch calipers, both digital and Vernier and have used them for years. But when I purchased an eight inch one, it almost instantly became my go-to caliper. I just love having that extra two inches of range. And the jaws will reach around larger rounds. The prices are only a reasonable amount more than the six inch models for most brands. I now have two eight inch ones.

So I strongly recommend getting an eight inch model.

Edit: Oops, I see this is too late for the OP. Sorry bot dat!

Back